Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: Sacrifice of Angels

(edited)

A large fleet of Federation ships head towards Deep Space 9 to stop the Dominion destroying the Wormhole minefield. A Dominion fleet meets them in battle. Can the Defiant make it in time?

Well, if you're going to go CGI, go all out (I believe this is the first time Trek used CGI rather than models, at least on a large scale). Though I wouldn't be a Nitpicker if I didn't point out that there were ships left guarding DS9 while the battle was progressing, but they've vanished by the time the Defiant arrives - not to mention the fact that the battle was going pretty badly for the Feds (with Sisko basically abandoning the battle because it was more important to prevent the minefield coming down) yet it was apparently won easily by the time the Prophets dei ex machina  the situation. Granted, the Klingons had arrived but given how much of a mauling they were taking and how heavily they were outnumbered, it didn't look like enough to turn the tide. And I would have thought the Dominion would self destruct the station rather than let it be retaken.

Still not convinced that Kira "We are WAY past sorry!" would forgive Odo quite so easily just for coming back round to her side. I've always seen Kira as somebody who can nurse a grudge until it's drawing its pension!

Incidentally, what was up with Miles going, "You don't want to know how it ends"? While the Charge of the Light Brigade itself was a monumental cock up, the  poem ends quite hopefully:

When can their glory fade?

O the wild charge they made!

All the world wondered.

Honour the charge they made!

Honour the Light Brigade,

Noble six hundred!

Edited by John Potts

Something that always bothered me was when Rom figured out how the mine field could be destroyed and yet, this NEVER, I mean NEVER crossed his mind? I agree on the CGI and we are also suppose to believe that when the Prophets took out the Dominion's other fleet in the wormhole that was the beginning of the end for them? They never had more ships try and go to Cardassia. It was: "Crap! We have to use what we have from now on!" 

5 hours ago, John Potts said:

Well, if you're going to go CGI, go all out (I believe this is the first time Trek used CGI rather than models, at least on a large scale).

It was their first all-CGI episode.  And for something that's almost twenty years old, it REALLY holds up.

• Love 1
(edited)

Still not convinced that Kira "We are WAY past sorry!" would forgive Odo quite so easily just for coming back round to her side. I've always seen Kira as somebody who can nurse a grudge until it's drawing its pension!

This applies more to the next episode. But that was something that always bothered me is how she forgives him off screen. Apparently they were going to film a scene with them talking but ran out of time :(. And the actors were upset about how it was resolved too. I really wish that they had shot there conversation anyway, even if it was like a deleted scene or something.

Edited by blueray
On 6/16/2017 at 12:43 PM, John Potts said:

Still not convinced that Kira "We are WAY past sorry!" would forgive Odo quite so easily just for coming back round to her side

What Odo did was nothing less than absolute treason, and I don't find his sudden flip flopping to be convincing either.  Two episodes ago he could not give a rat's behind at all that he had left Rom vulnerable to be captured (and scheduled to be executed) and given DS9 and the Alpha Quadrant over to the Dominion and the Cardassians.  Then the writers gradually soften his stance until he decides he cares after all.  I know apologists will say he was in the afterglow of The Great Link so he wasn't thinking clearly, but I still find it all a bit too weak.  Not only am I surprised that Kira forgave him, if I was Sisko I wouldn't trust him anymore either.  In fact, I'd say all the characters would have cause to be upset with him.   From what I'm reading here in this thread, it sounds like the resolution the writers used was to just sweep the incident under the rug.

At this point, I'm watching the rest of these episodes for the first time, so I don't know what happens from here on out.  But I'm guessing that these six episodes that started off season six are probably the most intense of the series.