Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: Some Demented Fairy Tale

Best episode in S1:  Let's Be Bad.  Shit head Derek walking out in a huff after Ivy performs the bejeebers out of LBB.  Later she and Michael Swift and Sam sitting in the bar, Ivy getting drunk, and deciding to go over to Derek's to confront the bastard.  And that scene at his door....priceless.  It became obvious in that scene, and from that moment, that Derek was hooked.  He could deal with Ivy mad.  He could deal with Ivy determined.  But by god he could not stand to see Ivy sad and hurt.  He was in from then on, in spite of lots of bad behavior to come, the writing was on the wall.  I hated Derek for Ivy, but knew then that he would be 'hers' for the life of Smash.

Best episode in S2:  The Tony's.  Hands down.  That acceptance speech by Ivy was everything that could be done to 'undo' the shit the went before.  It wasn't enough, but it was a lovely gesture.  Bravo writers.

Stephen Spielberg.....I will never see a movie by you again.  Jerk.

• Love 1

But by god he could not stand to see Ivy sad and hurt.

Wow, never actually thought about it this way! That's interesting. I was just surprise that Derek was the one trying to make amends, at the time I feel that Derek was an arrogant, self-centered and self-absorbed womanising douchebag, don't get me wrong, he is, I just didn't think he would soften up and ask her to stay. In the workshop, it was Derek who tried and asked Ivy if they are 'good', too. Derek seems to be the one really trying to get back together with Ivy even in season 1, so props to Safran for writing Derek seeking Ivy as well.

I still hate Derek for hurting Ivy in the worse way possible, but thinking about Derek crawling back to Ivy all the time makes me feel better.

I'm a sucker for some Derek and Ivy, for me they had true dramatic resonance in the simple theory, and then Jack and Megan clearly tapdanced their little actors' hearts out selling it to us. The show concept and structure brought any problem the pairing had, requiring him to keep one foot so firmly planted in Camp Karen at all times, that he almost always looked like some fickle jerk.

(edited)

Opening Night

Ugg, even seeing it properly staged with Ivy signing it, I still hate Don't Forget Me. Just a stupid, corny song. Just reverse the damn show like they do with Hit List: open with Marilyn's suicide and close with Let Me Be Your Star.

Also Tom doesn't tell Julia he was offered City of Angeles...can we stop with the "people keep things from each-other for no reason" plots already? Please, just stop with that.

At least Karen is miserable. I always enjoy that.

Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 1

Listening to the soundtrack made me want to do a 're-watch' of sorts. Halfway through Season One and wow is the show better when you fast-forward to just watch the good songs and the occasional Ivy or Tom scene. "Lets Be Bad" remains amazing and possibly the best damn thing Smash ever did. Ivy struggling and bringing her own pain and insecurities to Marilyn's downward spiral and killing it is so fucking good. Chills.  

Edited by SilverShadow
  • Love 2