Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: There's No Guy In Team

(also from TWoP)

Tonight's episode was the usual wonderfulness!

Pete and Burt were great. The refrain of "Go to your room" was welcome and Burt's reactions were funny (if seeming a bit OOC for how we've seen Burt before.)

Seeing Hilary's amazement at Jackie keeping all her art was wonderful. It felt like a truly genuine moment between the two and that earned an "awww" from me.

I enjoyed that Kate owned up to her ish and told Warren that it was her with the problem of him being on the team. The second sleepover and Pete's thoughts on the proceedings were funny as well.

Meg being a bit gross and inappropriate was her basic self. I wish they would let Meg grow a bit-not get a steady SO or quit being gross, but maybe just let her add a facet or two more. Like secretly she volunteers at an animal shelter because she likes animals and can grab a quick shower now and then.

I also hope this was a one-off with Financially-Amoral!Burt. Burt can be focused on an end, as kids can be, but I don't remember him being so...mercenary seems too harsh, but entitled isn't right either. I got through the episode fine even with it, but it rang false and took me out of the scene a bit.

I hope one of the field hockey ladies goes to a dance with Warren in the future. They were very protective of their teammate, which was neat to see.

• Love 1

My son asked me what an entrepreneur is and Bert really help me explain that. Thanks show! 

Loved it when the coach told Kate Warren was good for team morale, and at the end when Kate was cheering for his good posture. 

Edited by Dougal
Fix typo in-place instead of a posted correction. :)
  • Love 1

Hilary and Jackie together was really sweet. I forget that Hilary and Warren were little kids with Jackie as their stepmom, instead of the weird ex-stepmom thing she is now.

The Warren/Kate storyline was fun, and Ken Marino was good in a role that was really laid-back by his standards. The team instantly rallying around him as basically a mascot totally fit; hopefully that sticks in the future.

Agree that hopefully the Bert-wants-money thing doesn't stick. It felt strange and not really fitting, and generally the character weirdness didn't seem worth the jokes they got out of it.

Meg being a bit gross and inappropriate was her basic self. I wish they would let Meg grow a bit-not get a steady SO or quit being gross, but maybe just let her add a facet or two more. Like secretly she volunteers at an animal shelter because she likes animals and can grab a quick shower now and then.

Agreed. Natalie Morales is great, there's just not much there for the character to do.

• Love 1
(edited)

The scenes last night between Jackie and Hillary and Kate and Warren are why I so love this show. Still no news about a 2nd season and I'm getting worried that it will be one more one-season wonder. The new sitcom I loved this season, "The Crazy Ones" looks to be a goner (though not for lack of promotion on the part of CBS).

ABC promotes the hell out of "The Goldberg's," yet I rarely see any promos for "Trophy Wife." And it would certainly benefit from a stronger time slot, say after "Modern Family."

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 1

I love this show, and I think this might have been my favorite episode so far. I loved the Jackie and Hillary subplot, and the Kate and Warren plot was great too. I also get a kick out of the ongoing bit with Warren's crush on Meg. 

I hate that it looks unlikely that the show will be renewed. It is so damn funny. I keep telling people to watch it, and they have never even heard of it.