Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E20: A Closer Walk With Thee

A CELEBRATION OF LIFE — Hayley confronts a surprising enemy as she and her unborn baby fall into peril during a celebratory wake to honor a fallen member of the community. In order to save Hayley, Klaus and Elijah enlist the help of Genevieve who struggles to maintain control over Davina and the other young witches. Cami tells Marcel that Francesca is determined to find a mysterious key that may unlock a family secret. Meanwhile, as Klaus suffers from nightmares of his father Mikael, he is forced to examine his troubled relationship with his own adoptive son, Marcel.

Well I really enjoyed that if I just block out Cami and everytime Mikael popped up I kept hoping for Kol instead. Loved the song at the dream funeral and the consistency with TVD of the other side going away.

I couldn't understand so many negative comments about a happy New Oleans style funeral. What is the big deal about that?

Loved Genevieve and her impatience with Monique, I feel the same way about her. Also loved Elijah's slyness in getting Genevieve to make the rings but being upfront that he won't forgive what she did to Rebekah.

Thank goodness no banjo clan to deal with and Hayley moved back where she belongs with the elite. Love her bitchiness and I like when she and Klaus try to work together.  Was it just me b/c I know the nursery was supposed to be sweet, it looked creepy to me so dark.

I barely like Francesca something about her voice grates badly. I really hate that she and Cami are the token humans b/c I just wish for both of them to be collateral damage. (just throw Monique in there too!)ugh

I can't believe they are going to have Mikael come back and no mention of Kol. I really don't look foward to Mikael b/c his OTT rants about Klaus are hard to take even in small doses.

I love Elijah...swoon. He was so great the whole show, and Hayley kissing him was well done, glad this is a slow burn, but I do want Elijah to win in love at least ONCE.

Edited by Cattitude
  • Love 1
I couldn't understand so many negative comments about a happy New Oleans style funeral. What is the big deal about that?

What I especially didn't get what Klaus bitching about it. If New Orleans is His City, why is he refusing to embrace one of their traditions? And it's not like New Orleans funerals are the only ones that involve drinking and revelry. Irish wakes are similar (and police wakes, by extension).

ITA about the nursery too. Here he is trying to entice Hayley to stay after the baby is born by showing her the darkest, creepiest, most depressing looking nursery ever. All that was missing were dolls with missing eyes.

Thank goodness that opening scene was a dream because my main takeaway was wondering how the hell Genevieve had the nerve to walk up to the casket to pay her respects. But then she showed up for the real funeral. WTF? Hi, my people directly caused Kieran's death, but I'm here to pay my respects. No hard feelings, right? I guess at least now we know where Genevieve draws the line. Killing priests is okay. Killing babies is bad! Unless the ancestors make your eyes bleed. Then it's kind of okay.

Monique is such a snotty entitled little bitch. Why does she think she gets to make all of these decisions on her own? If she had succeeded, then the ancestors would have been pretty pissed that she ruined their plan. But it's more than that. She just thinks she's better than everyone else.

When Klaus asked Elijah if he thought he would find peace once Mikael is truly gone, I just rolled my eyes. Did you manage to find peace in the last few years since you thought he was dead? Nope, you were still taking your daddy issues out on everyone around you so no, I don't think that Mikael being on the Other Side or Timbuktu is going to help Klaus find peace because he's too busy feeling sorry for himself and using it to justify his asshole behavior.

How did Mikael get from Mystic Falls to New Orleans? I thought when they originally had Alaric, Kol, and the other dead supernaturals show up on TVD, they said they were confined to Mystic Falls (maybe because they died there?) - or am I remembering that incorrectly?

I wonder if Tim really moved on or if Mikael was just lying. On TVD, didn't they say the only ghost type people still hanging around were supernaturals who had unfinished business? And wasn't Tim still human when he died? I know I'm thinking about these things way too much.

• Love 2

I can understand it pretty well, I know I sure as hell wouldn't want people partying around my coffin when I die. Celebrating like that is incredibly disrespectful, like they were all glad that the deceased was dead rather than they were sad that Kerian was gone, even if that's not the intention that's the sort of message funerals like that send.

I can't believe they are going to have Mikael come back and no mention of Kol. I really don't look foward to Mikael b/c his OTT rants about Klaus are hard to take even in small doses.

I'm not surprised that they did this. The show needs someone like Mikael around since they need to have a villain that actually stands a chance in hell against Klaus, Elijah, not to mention Rebekah whenever she gets back in order for there to be any real tension in any of this. I just wish they came up with someone original (no pun intended) instead of being lazy and just pulling in an old villain because they couldn't be bothered to come up with someone new. That, and this will mean that they'll probably "explore" (read: destroy everything that was good and actually villainous about the villain just like what happened with Klaus himself) Mikael's character if he ends up being kept around for any real length of time, since he can't just try to kill Klaus over and over.

I love Elijah...swoon. He was so great the whole show, and Hayley kissing him was well done, glad this is a slow burn, but I do want Elijah to win in love at least ONCE.

As long as this doesn't lead to another triangle of suck I'm all for it.

Edited by immortalfrieza

"Elaborate." That one word from Elijah made me re-swoon. Sigh.

I love Mikael/SR to every scene with him in it was awesome. Also loved Monique's attack on Hayley (thanks a lot for not finishing the job, you snotty little bitch, try harder!) and Cami, whom I HATE, not telling Marcel what the code inside that box meant. I cannot wait to see what Mikael and Davina cood up for Klaus. I actually clapped my hands in glee when she seemed open to his suggestion that they team up.

That creepy nursery was fantastic, I was hoping Hayley would take one look at it and fling herself out the window. I still hate the character and the actress to no end. I'm hoping that someone, anyone, will just kill her the second that baby pops out of her/is removed from her. I did love Francesca telling her to go fuck off when Hayley showed up at her house, I know Francesca is "only" human but I already love the character more than I do the other female leads now that Rebekah is gone, Cami and Hayley.

Was not feeling the Elijah/Hayley kiss, as immortalfrieza just posted, I too do not want another Triangle of Suck which I'm afraid is exactly what's going to happen since Julie Plec infected TVD with it AND used two brothers there; she is totally going to do the same thing on this show. And Klaus playing "hard to get" with Gen was not cute for me at all, that was the second "Ew" from me, the first being that kiss between Elijah and Hayley.

How did Mikael get from Mystic Falls to New Orleans? I thought when they originally had Alaric, Kol, and the other dead supernaturals show up on TVD, they said they were confined to Mystic Falls (maybe because they died there?) - or am I remembering that incorrectly?

I wonder if Tim really moved on or if Mikael was just lying. On TVD, didn't they say the only ghost type people still hanging around were supernaturals who had unfinished business? And wasn't Tim still human when he died? I know I'm thinking about these things way too much.

Oh I think they are trying to say Mikael is just THAT powerful. No other supernaturals can leave the area they died(why Kol hasn't shown up), but since Mikael was created by a witch with the sole purpose of killing his own children he can usurp the natural order of things(RME) and now he can be brought back too...whatever.

Tim was human and Davena was doing a seance which I always thought WAS to talk to dead human spirits. I think Mikael just jacked the seance so I wouldn't think even if Tim moved on(which why would he when he was killed in such a mannor, I'd think he would stick around trying to get revenge.) Davena still could have contacted his spirit through a seance. I'm with you on the Mikael is lying thing.

I can understand it pretty well, I know I sure as hell wouldn't want people partying around my coffin when I die. Celebrating like that is incredibly disrespectful, like they were all glad that the deceased was dead rather than they were sad that Kerian was gone, even if that's not the intention that's the sort of message funerals like that send.

I can certainly understand someone not wanting that kind of funeral, but they are in New Orleans where it is common and accepted. I'm sure they had that funeral at Kerian's request as he lived his life in that culture and was also Irish. It was like people were appalled FOR him when I'm sure it was his wish. Also being from the south even if I didn't want that kind of funeral myself I wouldn't be bashing it like that b/c I do know some people do. I just thought all the bashing was tacky especially from Cami who supposedly loved her uncle. Why would she be so bitchy about his wishes?(but of course I loathe her anyway)

As to a possible triangle with Hayley, I do think it will have triangel qualities, but mostly in Elijah's mind. It seems clear Hayley and Klaus don't have romantic feelings for each other, but Klaus is such a baby about his child being HIS child it will cause Elijah a lot of guilt if he usurps Klaus' place as father. Which he clearly wouldn't do, but he knows Klaus would perceive it that way. What I don't want in any shape or form is Elijah having to fight for Hayley's love against that inbred hillbillie Jackson. ugh if Hayley would choose him over Elijah then she just isn't worthy of Elijah.

I'm Irish and I have been to many funerals where this type of setting has happened.  We aren't being disrespectful at all.  We are celebrating their life and what they meant to us.  It's a tradition and one I love.  To share a drink and a laugh remembering what they meant to us helps.  For me, it would be so despressing to have to go to a wake where there is nothing but sadness.  I would much rather remember a loved one with a celebration of who they were than a mourning.  But that's just the way I've known with funerals.  So I can see why they did the celebration they did for Kieran.  I guess I can give Cami a break with the other things she dealt with. 

I liked this episode. I'm glad to see Mikael back but this time around I can't wait for Klaus to hurt him badly (last time I rooted for Mikael).  I'm sorry but I don't want an Elijah/Haley couple.  Don't like the character and that is because of the actress.  The actress is just there saying lines and if it wasn't for the surrounding actors, it would show even more.  Her scene with Cami proved it for me. I can't wait for next week.

Edited by Crucial
To share a drink and a laugh remembering what they meant to us helps.

I think the problem was with the exception of Marcel no one was doing that. It seemed more of a free drinks type deal. Honestly I think if they had killed Keiran in like season 2 or 3, and then did I full episode/ Irish wake for him.

I think Elijah just wants a "family" soooo bad he's willing to trick himself into loving Hayley.