Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E12: Paradise Lost

With the attack on the power grid, Starfleet imposes martial law on Earth. But Sisko begins to suspect that not everything is not as it appears.

Well, if TPTB were unclear which side we were meant to be on in last week, in this episode there's no doubt whose side we're meant to be on. But even if we're meant to see Adm. Leyton (and his cronies) as clearly villainous - especially at the point where he's ordering one Federation ship to destroy another - you don't get the impression he isn't genuine in his beliefs. Of course he's still a hypocrite - he reprimands Sisko for not following the chain of command when he's planning to depose his own Commander in Chief - but you never get the impression he doesn't mean well and isn't genuinely concerned about the security of Earth. Although Sisko points out, once you decide it's OK to act unconstitutionally because you think the government isn't "doing enough", when does it stop? Personally, I'd rather live in a state that's determined by the rule of law, not the "gut feelings" of (probably) well intentioned Admirals.

Did like the scene with Changeling-O'Brien where he points out that with just three Changelings, they've thrown Earth into chaos (admittedly, that could be a lie). Also liked the way that Sisko stumbles onto the truth - as Lt Columbo would say, "It's the little things that are bothering me" which are so easy to miss but can lead to the whole conspiracy unravelling. Also, I was racking my brain for where I'd seen Commander (Captain) Benteen before - it's Susan Gibney, last seen on ST:TNG playing Leah Brahms (I guess they just look alike!)

There are a few nitpicks & oddities about the episode though: when the Defiant is battling the Lakota on its way to Earth, somebody suggests using the cloak  and gets the reply that they can't as they'd have to drop the shields. But why didn't they just activate it in the first place and avoid the conflict? And Joseph Sisko's turnaround to being OK with the blood tests seemed to be a clear indication that he HAD ben replaced by a Changeling (I know he SAID that the power outages changed his mind, but I'd be mighty suspicious). I know he passed the blood test, but as Joseph himself said, if you're prepared you can get around them (indeed, we see how a test might be faked in this very episode). But evidently we're meant to believe he genuinely changed his mind, because the question of him being a Changeling never comes up.

Edited by John Potts

I don't get why The Founders are able to perfectly mimic a human being while Odo is not. Odo has been around humans and humanoids for years while The Founders only got to Earth two minutes ago. Does being part of the collective "link" just make them better shape-shifters?

I get that Sisko's dad is supposed to be the crusty but lovable type, but visiting is a two-way street. If Jake and Benjamin can make time to visit Earth he can damn well make time to visit DS9 in return. "This is my home" isn't an excuse - DS9 is Benjamin and Jake's home. And he can close his dumb restaurant for a week without going broke. Because they don't use money anymore.

(edited)
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't get why The Founders are able to perfectly mimic a human being while Odo is not. Odo has been around humans and humanoids for years while The Founders only got to Earth two minutes ago. Does being part of the collective "link" just make them better shape-shifters?

I get that Sisko's dad is supposed to be the crusty but lovable type, but visiting is a two-way street. If Jake and Benjamin can make time to visit Earth he can damn well make time to visit DS9 in return. "This is my home" isn't an excuse - DS9 is Benjamin and Jake's home. And he can close his dumb restaurant for a week without going broke. Because they don't use money anymore.

That always confused me too. Even when Odo explained after being part of the Great Link he "felt like" what it was to really be those creatures. I chalk it up to just a plot point. Let's face it, Odo was then able to impersonate other dying Changlings towards the final episodes of the series. I was like: "Oh now, he can do it!" When the other Changlings who were infected with the plague from Section 31 were falling apart unable to maintain their forms. 

Edited by readster

One theory was that the 100 changeling infants sent out had a psychological block that prevented them from perfectly mimicking a humanoid.  If they were sent out to understand how other races treated a Changeling then they couldn't accomplish that by blending in. 

(edited)
On 5/23/2017 at 9:18 PM, Maverick said:

One theory was that the 100 changeling infants sent out had a psychological block that prevented them from perfectly mimicking a humanoid.  If they were sent out to understand how other races treated a Changeling then they couldn't accomplish that by blending in. 

I feel like this is probably the case. If Odo could mimic humoids as well as they could. He'd simply look Bajorian and when ever a new person met him, they'd just assume he was Bajorian. By not being able to mimic faces (mostly) he stood out and was treated differently.

As for impersonating the female changling that was awesome. It wasn't that he couldn't do it before he, he had no reason to and never attempted before. That being said he did get more skilled as the show went on, especially after he linked with other changelings. He understood what it meant to be a bird or a rock. As for a humanoid, I'm not sure. But I always assumed when they use the transporter on him it must read "humanoid" or something that they know it is him.

Edited by blueray