Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls Elimination Game

• Start Topic

5 gone!

Favorite Best Parenting Moments

1.  Lorelai insists that Rory do-over entering her dorm room at Yale for the first time so she'll be 'in the moment'.  "You mentioned thoughts in here?" "Mm, all the great ones you're gonna have." "And air freshener?" "That, too."

2.  Lorelai saved the Dean Box despite Rory insisting it be thrown away.  "Okay, I know I was supposed to throw it away, but I couldn't. I mean, you're young and your head's all weird, and you don't have any perspective because of that whole young weird headed thing, so just please listen to me before you get mad. You're gonna want that stuff one day, when you're old and married, and looking back and thinking, I certainly had an interesting life. And then you can pull out all your old boyfriend boxes. Which is good, because I threw away stuff I'd kill to have today. Look, I put it in with the Max box so they could chat and keep each other company and commiserate about how they had Gilmore girl and lost a Gilmore girl and . . . sorry."

3.  Lorelai has thrown her back out getting Rory's dress ready, so Emily stays over to take care of her.  "That is a mashed banana on toast." "Okay." "I used to make this for you all the time when you were a little girl." "You did?" "Yes, whenever you got sick I made this." "Are you sure it wasn't the other way around?"

6.  Jess gets ready to head back to New York after Liz's wedding and says goodbye to Luke.  "I appreciate it...everything -- the money, living here." "Well, it's good to hear, but I kind of knew that." "Yeah, but, in a relationship -- any relationship -- it's important to let the other person know you appreciate them so you don't create barriers that delay any hope for reciprocation." "I think I read that somewhere." "Yeah?" "You're hoping for reciprocation? You got it. I'm here, Jess. I'm always here."

7.  Mrs. Kim tries to prepare Lane for the wedding night.  "You will then be expected to share a bed tonight, and when you’re in that bed you're expected to…" "Mama, please." "You're going to have to do it with this boy, Lane. You're just going to have to do it."

8.  Richard catches Lorelai climbing out of the window to escape her boring FND date.  "Emily, she's not up here!" "Thank you, Daddy."

9.  Lorelai makes sure Rory's dream of going to Harvard is really Rory's dream.  "I’m talking about -- did it start with me? Or did it start with you? Was it my dream that you go to Harvard? Because I never got to do the big fancy college thing?"

11.  Lorelai talks with Rory about saying 'I love you' after she finds out that's why Dean and Rory broke up.  "You know, I'm still learning this stuff too and since I'm still learning, I think I haven't thought enough about what I'm supposed to be teaching you." "What are you talking about?" "I'm talking about my own personal lack of commitment skills. I mean, look, I love that you have my eyes and my coffee addiction and my taste in music and movies, but when it comes to love and relationships, I don't necessarily want you to be like me. I would hate to think that I raised a kid who couldn't say I love you."

12.  Lorelai and Sookie go knocking on doors until they find Madeline and Louise, who skipped out on the Bangles concert.  "Is there a problem?" "Yeah, see those two idiots over there? They’re 16 -- underage, and I bet you’re not. I also bet those big fancy party cups aren’t holding lemonade. You really want to end any further conversations with me, so step aside Skippy."

13.  Lorelai redecorates Rory's room with Yale paraphernalia.  "I know I'm the one who said no to Yale loudly and a lot, but not anymore. Really, I just want what's right." "I know, but it has to be right for both of us." "If it's right for you, it's really right for me."

14.  Emily asks Chris to leave the house when she sees how upset Lorelai is over him being there.  "You know, you need a mask and a horse when you do that."

15.  Mrs. Kim leaves after the wedding so Lane and Zach can have their fun, rock-n-roll reception.  "I'm going to wear earplugs tonight, the good ones that expand in your ears, so I won't be able to hear anything that might be going on out in the street at all hours of the night."

17.  Luke insists that Jess hold up his end of the deal and graduate, or move out.  "I'm not playing with you here, Jess. You quit your job, you go to school." "I am not going back to school!" "So that's it?" "Yeah, that's it." "Then you gotta go."

18.  Mrs. Kim tells Lane that if she wants to live by her own rules, she will have to move out on her own.  "Children do not make the rules. You may . . . move out and live like that somewhere else."

19.  Mrs. Kim goes to visit Lane in the apartment she shares with Zach and Brian.  "This, we'll clean up. Window will be fixed. Temporary fridge. You two are girls. I'll have tea now."

20.  Mrs. Kim closes up the shop and covers all the windows so Lane can have a moment to wallow (with booze!) over her breakup with Zach.  "Lane, it's been six weeks since you come home. You have grieved, and now we move on."

21.  Mrs. Kim single-handedly arranges a tour for Hep Alien when they are in danger of breaking up.  "I need to see your songs." "Why?" "To see if you need to make any adjustments. Lyrics must be clean." "Okay, that’s where we draw the line. We will not change our lyrics." "Oh, please. Prince made fifty-seven million take home last year. He didn’t swear, and he mentioned God. Catch up."

1 out!

2.  Lorelai saved the Dean Box despite Rory insisting it be thrown away.  "Okay, I know I was supposed to throw it away, but I couldn't. I mean, you're young and your head's all weird, and you don't have any perspective because of that whole young weird headed thing, so just please listen to me before you get mad. You're gonna want that stuff one day, when you're old and married, and looking back and thinking, I certainly had an interesting life. And then you can pull out all your old boyfriend boxes. Which is good, because I threw away stuff I'd kill to have today. Look, I put it in with the Max box so they could chat and keep each other company and commiserate about how they had Gilmore girl and lost a Gilmore girl and . . . sorry."

3.  Lorelai has thrown her back out getting Rory's dress ready, so Emily stays over to take care of her.  "That is a mashed banana on toast." "Okay." "I used to make this for you all the time when you were a little girl." "You did?" "Yes, whenever you got sick I made this." "Are you sure it wasn't the other way around?"

6.  Jess gets ready to head back to New York after Liz's wedding and says goodbye to Luke.  "I appreciate it...everything -- the money, living here." "Well, it's good to hear, but I kind of knew that." "Yeah, but, in a relationship -- any relationship -- it's important to let the other person know you appreciate them so you don't create barriers that delay any hope for reciprocation." "I think I read that somewhere." "Yeah?" "You're hoping for reciprocation? You got it. I'm here, Jess. I'm always here."

7.  Mrs. Kim tries to prepare Lane for the wedding night.  "You will then be expected to share a bed tonight, and when you’re in that bed you're expected to…" "Mama, please." "You're going to have to do it with this boy, Lane. You're just going to have to do it."

8.  Richard catches Lorelai climbing out of the window to escape her boring FND date.  "Emily, she's not up here!" "Thank you, Daddy."

9.  Lorelai makes sure Rory's dream of going to Harvard is really Rory's dream.  "I’m talking about -- did it start with me? Or did it start with you? Was it my dream that you go to Harvard? Because I never got to do the big fancy college thing?"

11.  Lorelai talks with Rory about saying 'I love you' after she finds out that's why Dean and Rory broke up.  "You know, I'm still learning this stuff too and since I'm still learning, I think I haven't thought enough about what I'm supposed to be teaching you." "What are you talking about?" "I'm talking about my own personal lack of commitment skills. I mean, look, I love that you have my eyes and my coffee addiction and my taste in music and movies, but when it comes to love and relationships, I don't necessarily want you to be like me. I would hate to think that I raised a kid who couldn't say I love you."

12.  Lorelai and Sookie go knocking on doors until they find Madeline and Louise, who skipped out on the Bangles concert.  "Is there a problem?" "Yeah, see those two idiots over there? They’re 16 -- underage, and I bet you’re not. I also bet those big fancy party cups aren’t holding lemonade. You really want to end any further conversations with me, so step aside Skippy."

13.  Lorelai redecorates Rory's room with Yale paraphernalia.  "I know I'm the one who said no to Yale loudly and a lot, but not anymore. Really, I just want what's right." "I know, but it has to be right for both of us." "If it's right for you, it's really right for me."

14.  Emily asks Chris to leave the house when she sees how upset Lorelai is over him being there.  "You know, you need a mask and a horse when you do that."

15.  Mrs. Kim leaves after the wedding so Lane and Zach can have their fun, rock-n-roll reception.  "I'm going to wear earplugs tonight, the good ones that expand in your ears, so I won't be able to hear anything that might be going on out in the street at all hours of the night."

17.  Luke insists that Jess hold up his end of the deal and graduate, or move out.  "I'm not playing with you here, Jess. You quit your job, you go to school." "I am not going back to school!" "So that's it?" "Yeah, that's it." "Then you gotta go."

18.  Mrs. Kim tells Lane that if she wants to live by her own rules, she will have to move out on her own.  "Children do not make the rules. You may . . . move out and live like that somewhere else."

19.  Mrs. Kim goes to visit Lane in the apartment she shares with Zach and Brian.  "This, we'll clean up. Window will be fixed. Temporary fridge. You two are girls. I'll have tea now."

20.  Mrs. Kim closes up the shop and covers all the windows so Lane can have a moment to wallow (with booze!) over her breakup with Zach.  "Lane, it's been six weeks since you come home. You have grieved, and now we move on."

21.  Mrs. Kim single-handedly arranges a tour for Hep Alien when they are in danger of breaking up.  "I need to see your songs." "Why?" "To see if you need to make any adjustments. Lyrics must be clean." "Okay, that’s where we draw the line. We will not change our lyrics." "Oh, please. Prince made fifty-seven million take home last year. He didn’t swear, and he mentioned God. Catch up."

Aw, I was proud of Mrs. Kim for trying.  7 out.

10 minutes ago, deaja said:

I really hate that Lorelei played into the idea that Rory should have said “I love you” to Dean at all. 

TESTIFY.  That completely sours that scene (that whole storyline, honestly) for me.

2 hours ago, deaja said:

I really hate that Lorelei played into the idea that Rory should have said “I love you” to Dean at all. 

I honestly didn't see it that way. I think Lorelai was just afraid that her history made it impossible for Rory to say the words, not that she should have said them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I honestly didn't see it that way. I think Lorelai was just afraid that her history made it impossible for Rory to say the words, not that she should have said them.

Same. I don't think she expected Rory to say it, but she was worried that she maybe felt that way, but couldn't express herself. Which....I mean, Rory did end up being very much in love with Dean. So there may have been some merit to that assumption. 

• Love 1

11 out.

Since I did have to play tie-breaker between 11 and 9 and we had been discussing 11, I just wanted to say that I understand the arguments for that scene, I really do, I just feel that it would have been a more appropriate response from Lorelai if Rory and Dean had been dating for like a year or more and Rory freaked out at an 'I love you' from him. 

I just know that speaking as a mother, if my 16 yo daughter's boyfriend broke up with her because she wouldn't say 'I love you' after dating him for three months (seriously, even that statement just makes me laugh -- grow up, Dean) wondering if she has commitment issues would be the LAST thing on my mind, not the first, and even if it did cross my mind I certainly wouldn't burden her with the possibility.  There was zero reason for Rory to think any of that train wreck might have been her fault.

9 out!

2 out!

12 out!