Type keyword(s) to search

Faking It in the Media

AE: The other question is: I know you gave some interviews in Season 1—that I get asked about a lot, as if I gave them—in which you described Amy as a lesbian. Would you still say that or would you say that your understanding of her has evolved since that time?

RV: I would say that I am understanding of the fact that it’s very fluid for her. When I said that, you know, it’s one of those things where I feel like people are never going to be satisfied. When I said that the first time, my intention behind it was it seemed like so many girls watching the show wanted to have a lesbian character that they could look up to, because that’s how they identified. And there aren’t a lot of lesbian characters on TV in that high school range. I mean, it’s becoming more prevalent, which is great, but it’s happened pretty fast in the past couple of years.

So, when I said that, it was trying to make them feel like they had someone they could relate to, because there is that side of her—she’s attracted to girls. But she’s also figuring it out, so what does that make her? I mean, does that make her bisexual? Does that make her confused. I don’t know. I don’t want to put any kind of label on it whatsoever. And I learned not to. Partly because people are going to find in her what they need. And where she is now, she doesn’t know. And I think bisexual is maybe an appropriate term. But maybe some people won’t be happy with that, because it won’t be enough. But she’s still figuring it out, and that’s okay.

http://www.afterellen.com/tv/450893-rita-volk-karmy-reamy-season-2b-faking/2

I'd say queerbaiting 101 but I wouldn't be shocked if Volk was originally given that message - at some point the show did suddenly seem to make Volk's character interested in men again.  The apparent definition of sexual fluidity is women who are attracted to women but also like guys.  It sure would be nice if maybe other groups were shown to be "fluid" and had these "journeys". 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 1

I like this move Carter...all inclusive.

Just handle the character well, if not be prepared for the backlash. Season one/2A they cried over de gaying Amy, and lesbian with a man. In 2B they are up in arms over bisexuality.

Now I'm curious of it will be a transman or a transwoman??????

Make it be a transman for Shane. That would be so interesting.

Edited by Milks26

http://tvline.com/2015/11/02/faking-it-finale-amy-leaves-karma-season-3-spoilers/

TVLINE | Should we expect Karma and Shane’s relationship to improve or worsen over the summer?

Shane and Karma’s relationship changes in a really unexpected way, and that’s all I can say, because that reveal is going to be really fun in the premiere. Over the summer, their relationship evolves.

TVLINE | Do you honestly envision a day where Karma could reciprocate Amy’s feelings, or will it be more about Amy finding a middle ground?

I’ve always believed that Karma is not as introspective as Amy, and she hasn’t looked at her strong affection and love for Amy in any other light than a friendship. I really want to get to a point where she does look at that — and then we can figure out what that means for her. I have in my head an idea of how I’d like for all of that to unfold, so I’m just hoping we have the episodes to do it.

http://www.ibtimes.com/faking-it-season-3-spoilers-can-karma-amys-friendship-survive-ep-teases-drama-after-2167088

That kiss may have actually been more than a drunken mishap, even if Karma hasn’t realized it yet. Katie Stevens pointed out that her character was very careful with choosing her words in the final scene. “It’s hard because, if you notice, Karma doesn’t say that [the kiss] doesn’t mean anything. She just says that she can’t say that it means something,” Stevens explained to MTV. “So I think that that’s the hard thing because she wants to keep Amy there and keep her with her and try to prevent her from leaving for the summer. And she can’t do the one thing that is going to keep her here.”

Found this EW interview with Carter on the finale and upcoming season:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/02/faking-it-finale-postmortem-carter-Covington

In the finale, Zita came back and offered some good news to Liam in that she found his birth father (at least, his name). Will his journey to find his father continue into the new season or will he have found him over the break?
He is going to get some resolution over the summer and he and Zita’s relationship will have evolved in a very interesting way

- It sounds like Liam might actually have a girl who's stays as just his friend

But Amy seems to really need to get away from Karma in order to move on. 

but we’re really going to show how Amy is trying to put up boundaries and still keep her friendship with Karma after the summer. It’s going to be an interesting evolution for her character.

- Amy has been doing that since episode 16.

Edited by Milks26

She didn't confirm that it was someone who was already on the show; she just said it's a girl who has history with both Karma and Amy. That could be someone the audience hasn't actually seen yet. Maybe we get to see her in that camp flashback episode or something.

I enjoyed how Rita quickly pointed out that Amy's love interest for the season is a girl. She knows how the fans would react if it were a guy!

Katie Stevens, Rita Volk and Carter Covington talk last night’s “Faking It”

AE: Karma tells Amy that she only really liked the attention from her and made it seem she wasn’t ever interested in her romantically. Is that how she really feels?

CC: I don’t think that that issue is resolved. I think that that is what Karma feels in that moment. Where they are in their friendship, I think that’s the reason she’s giving herself. I leave open the door for her to examine that further as we go further along. But I do think it’s true. I do think it’s a true part of their dynamic. I think that whether—as their relationship remains complicated, at some point, Karma is going to have look at why these complications exist and kind of dig a little deeper and I would like to be able to look at that at some point. I hope that I get to.

Elliot Fletcher talks playing the new trans guy character on “Faking It”

AE: Was there anything that was really scary to you about taking this role?

EF: Oh yeah. I won’t give too much away about the character, but some of the stuff hits very close to home, so some of the scenes we had to film were emotionally draining. They may have been emotionally draining, but all to a good cause. I’m so happy that this is the correct representation and MTV and Faking It is taking a step in the right direction. So there was some stuff that was like, “Oof. This is personal.” But as an actor, I was like “Whatever. I’ll do it!”

AE: Were you able to give feedback about the character on set?

EF: Carter is very collaborative, and so is the rest of the writing team. In the beginning, it was so easy to communicate with them, especially in a meeting before I was even cast. They held that meeting and I was there, and thy asked “How do we write a trans guy? What are the things that we cannot do? What are the things that we cannot say?” And I was shocked—I don’t know why because they’re smart. The entire writing team is so smart. But I was shocked to see the script and how well they had written the character of Noah, and it was so easy to talk to them about stuff.

Interesting midseason trailer. It's really playing up Amy's new female love interest, which is good. Does it look like Karma is trying to push Felix and Amy together? (Maybe because she doesn't like seeing Amy with another girl? Even if Karma is totally straight, which I don't think she is, I could see her not wanting Amy to love any girl but her). That confession is probably a dream, although it's interesting that the trailer made it look that way -- either they're being honest to avoid baiting the audience, or they're misdirecting.

Other observations: Looks kinda like Amy's love interest leaves her for a guy, or leaves her and then dates a guy. Shane has no idea that his new guy is trans. Karma seems to have a thing for Felix? And Lauren is a million times too good for Liam.

• Love 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNb272XoOns

Interesting midseason trailer. It's really playing up Amy's new female love interest, which is good. Does it look like Karma is trying to push Felix and Amy together (maybe because she doesn't like seeing Amy with another girl? Even if Karma is totally straight, which I don't think she is, I could see her not wanting Amy to love any girl but her). That confession is probably a dream, although it's interesting that the trailer made it look that way -- either they're being honest to avoid baiting the audience, or they're misdirecting.

Other observations: Looks kinda like Amy's love interest leaves her for a guy, or leaves her and then dates a guy. Shane has no idea that his new guy is trans. Karma seems to have a thing for Felix? And Lauren is a million times too good for Liam.

I had very big expectations for this last few episodes and with this mid-trailer they went even higher. I believe Amy falls for this girl(Sabrina) with strong feelings so I she did have a dream with Sabrina but the karmy kiss scene doesn't look like a dream to me, I don't know maybe I'm wrong but it will be pointless for it to be a dream, still this trailers are very confusing and things don't always turned out to be as I hoped.

Shane will go crazy to find out the truth about Noah. I don't think karma is going to have something with Felix, but since they're helping each other with Amy they're going to have a very strong connection that I'll make them feel closer. Maybe karma and Amy doesn't end together this season but is there going to be a confession from Karma? I do believe so. And probably nobody will agree with me but maybe Lauren turned out to be exactly what Liam needs.

• Love 1

Interesting midseason trailer. It's really playing up Amy's new female love interest, which is good. Does it look like Karma is trying to push Felix and Amy together? (Maybe because she doesn't like seeing Amy with another girl? Even if Karma is totally straight, which I don't think she is, I could see her not wanting Amy to love any girl but her). That confession is probably a dream, although it's interesting that the trailer made it look that way -- either they're being honest to avoid baiting the audience, or they're misdirecting.

Ugh. Just looks like a whole lot more baiting to me. Amy is going to fall for Sabrina, Sabrina is just experimenting and goes back to guys, the Karmy conversation/kiss is surely yet another dream. Karma is going to fall for Felix (yuck). 

The only thing that actually pleased me in that trailer was Lauren and Liam. That weirdly could work for me. At this point Lauren is the only character I think I care about. 

It looks like another trip down the rabbit hole again. I'm not getting psyched about the next few episodes until I see them. The show usually gets good in the 2nd half of the season, but, I have doubts this season will be the same. I foresee way too much Felix. uggh! 

Lauren and Liam....no way. Bad idea on so many levels. I wish Shane was bi - I'd love that pairing.

The trailer kind of makes it look like Amy gets together with Sabrina, Karma gets jealous (or just doesn't like Sabrina), Sabrina and Amy break up, Karma tries to push Amy over to Felix by doing some Cyrano-type stuff to make Amy like him more (hiding behind a tree and helping him serenade Amy), Karma confesses to Amy that she has feelings for her (something makes me think that might not be the dream this time; the promo monkeys have never cut to Amy waking up right after a misleading kiss before, and we've already done the "Karma's jealous of Amy's girlfriend" storyline). But then Karma and Felix looking almost romantic (touching hands in the car) throws a wrench in the whole thing.

It seems like the show's going the Lauren/Liam direction (although it looks like their first kiss is at the New Year's Eve party, so it could be a slower build), which could be freeing Karma up for Amy... or maybe it's freeing her up for Felix.

Plus with this show there are always dream sequences, so who knows how much of any of that is real.

Here's AfterEllen's interview with Carter. It's spoilery for the ending of tomorrow's finale, so read at your own risk (and spoiler tag any finale discussion, please)!

He said some fairly misguided stuff about the Lexa Pledge (he seems to think that LGBT fans want their characters to never experience bad things or ever die, which is not the point), but eh, that's Carter. I've always gotten the impression that he looks down on his show's fanbase (he's using phrasing like "attacking showrunners" and "demanding that every character has a happy ending" -- aggressive language).

As for what would have happened in future seasons:

Yeah, I’m writing something up to share in my own words what a final season would have looked like. My vision had always been that the final season of the show would be [more about] Karma. We started the show from Amy’s perspective, and we were slowly shifting the show, even in this season, to Karma’s perspective. So Karma would come to recognize that her intense feelings around Amy were possibly more, and maybe she made a mistake saying no to her at the end of Season 1.

It’s always been my intention to explore them being a couple in the last season. And I let MTV know that it was how I wanted to do it. But it felt to me like that would have been a rewarding last season, and I didn’t want to burn through it earlier because I felt like the chemistry between them and the will-they-or-won’t-they is an important part of the show. I’ve been trying to tell a rewarding story that leads to that ending, but it’s hard when you don’t know how much story you have left to tell. So now we’re in a place where I don’t get to tell that story, and I know a lot of fans will feel cheated because I’ve been very upfront that I wanted to explore it. And to those fans, I apologize. There’s nothing else to say other than I’m sorry they don’t get to see that. They probably feel like they were promised that, and it’s my one regret.

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe it's because half of the story lines on this show, both this season and last season, felt like filler but I still can't feel sorry for Carter. MTV doesn't care about his vision. The ratings were ridiculously low. Saving Karmy for the last season only works if you consistently build up to them and that's not what he's done thus far. I think he should just admit that he got distracted by and cared more about keeping Liam around and allowing the audience to witness every excruciating moment in his love story with Karma. Even if Karma/Amy were endgame, they'd still come up short compared to Karma/Liam, despite the show revolving around Karmy. 

As for Amy/Sabrina, that doesn't work for me, either. Sabrina is a character that we just met. Few fans have any emotional investment in her or that pairing and for him to say that it's giving fans what they wanted for Amy in season 1 doesn't quite cut it. Most fans wanted that for for Amy and Karma and Carter made no effort to get them any closer to that point. Just some vague jealousy on Karma's part as he pushed Felix as her only decent love interest. Why would the fans be happy? 

Edited by paceyjwitter
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Cranberry said:

He said some fairly misguided stuff about the Lexa Pledge (he seems to think that LGBT fans want their characters to never experience bad things or ever die, which is not the point), but eh, that's Carter. I've always gotten the impression that he looks down on his show's fanbase (he's using phrasing like "attacking showrunners" and "demanding that every character has a happy ending" -- aggressive language).

Yeah, I found his response to be bullshit. However, it tends to be the status quo for many showrunners these days. I don't see it as fans demanding happy ending for every character. I see it as fans calling these writers on their shitty storytelling and instead of rectifying it, they choose to say the fans are too sensitive or whatnot. Silly me, I like seeing character development and growth. Which is what most fans want I think (I mean, speaking exclusively for myself....) I hate when writers turn it into a shipper thing when, in reality, it's not wanting to see the same merry-go-round of character regression, especially three seasons into a damn show. I didn't need Faking It to end with Amy and Karma skipping hands through a field of daisies to make me happy. I just needed him to get to some semblance of a point. And, he never did.

Sorry. Enough of my rant, but, yeah, Carter, you clearly don't get it. 

• Love 4

Katie Stevens, who I firmly believe loved this show (and Karmy) more than anyone, is going to join the ladies of the Gay Women Channel for their final live "Faking it Friday" recap/roundup this Friday at 4pm eastern. Here's their Tumblr post about it.

Also, yeeeeaaaah. Glad he didn't get to finish that story. Either put Karma and Amy together or don't; don't try to have it both ways.

• Love 1

I read his "letter" last night and now I think he's just rubbing salt in the wound. I understand that he had his vision, but this entire time, he's proven time and time again that he never cared that much about Karmy. Not only did he purposely put them off for as long as possible, giving them only minimal teasing on Karma's part, but he NEVER intended for them to have a happy ending. I've seen people on other social media pointing out that you can be best friends and make a romantic relationship work and I could not agree more. It's been done on countless tv shows. Carter and his writing team have simply never quite been what they should be and each season after season 1 proved that.