Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: Toy Soldiers

FOR LOVE OR COUNTRY — When Mary’s uncle, the Duke of Guise, arrives in France with devastating news about her mother, Mary and Francis realize they are torn between putting their own countries first or saving their marriage. With the English throne in jeopardy, King Henry hatches an elaborate plan that will end in disaster. Meanwhile, Bash and Kenna solidify their marriage and begin to trust one another.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHULLbNIKGc

This was a seriously sex-heavy episode. Bash's got game, even if it's in service of forgetting Mary. 

I just love Queen Catherine. Plot away, Cath! Plot away. Locking Penelope away and then offering her a chance at a real life with influence is potentially brilliant. I also enjoy moments when you can see that Francis is crafty like she is. I am so tired of Mary getting mad at Francis because she thinks he puts France first, when her first concern is always Scotland. 

I adore Lord Peppercorn. Even though I find the attitudes of male characters toward the lack of virtue of their lady loves unbelievable most of the time, he's so sweet that I buy it. And I'm glad that he finally got a kiss from the lovely Greer.

A lack of Lola was a nice break.  

I swear if Greer does not realize what a PRIZE her hubby-to-be is, then she doesn't deserve him.  He's turning out to be the best catch on the show!  

I can understand why Mary is getting whiplash from Francis' ever changing priorities.  I think they will have to reach some understanding about the realities of their lives at some point (they are husband and wife but each rulers as well).  I would like for Mary to GO to Scotland at some point!  

• Love 1

Well, in history (as if that is important here), Mary never goes back to Scotland until Francis dies, in 1561, after he's been King and she Queen Consort for just over 1 1/2 years.  

But of course, that doesn't necessarily mean a damn thing for this show.

• Love 2

Maybe they're getting a little more historical as the series progresses, hopefully away from Mary and her ladies in waiting.   I'm actually liking the series now that they're away from The Darkness and all the nonsense in the earlier episodes.   As a historical figure, I hate the Duc de Guise, but I'm glad they brought some real characters into the show.