Type keyword(s) to search

Season Three Bios

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

Ok.

Britt: An accountant... ok, not starting off so well lol. But he looked promising, he lives in a wooded looking area, no cityscape to be found and it seems he likes to do survival type activities in his everyday life. Don't know how he will survive in the real wilderness with no help or access vs.  playing in his backyard but we shall see. He was already talking about demons and being adopted though.... maybe he will be the one having flashbacks to foster care this season. Early tap.

Carleigh: Lives in Alaska, remote, needs to be self sufficient and not a lot of people around. Sounds promising.  Been doing shelters and survival stuff since 13, looks like she is serious. Says she isn't out there to soul search!!! Or solve any damn problems that exist in the world. I love you, you are my number one so far. Negative is she says she wants the 'experience' and to 'challenge herself' and doesn't mention winning the damn competition and money. :( Could go either way with this one, she didn't seem like she had a lot of skills. Early tap.

Fowler: Is good at making shit. Very important being by yourself for so long and to relieve boredom. Found his wife on craiglist.... I don't know what that says about him...or more importantly her. Nothing wrong with online dating but I attribute craiglist as a good place to find a serial killer or a prostitute. Good for them though. I think he is middle of the pack.

Zach: Professional survivalist! Young though (only 22). Wants to 'push his own limits'....ok. Has pretty eyes but that won't help him like the 30 days he has already done solo. Seems like the perfect candidate (young, professional survival guide, has solo experience) so I have him taping early! lol I think he will go far unless something happens to him.

Megan: Biologist...might be helpful. Has young children, may be a negative, she can use them as an excuse to give up. Crying when she left. Early tap.

Dave: Bushcraft Teacher, definitely helpful. Seems weird and goofy, I think it will help him be by himself. Many walkabouts. Says wind and mosquitoes would drive him to quit lol. Middle of the pack guy for me but may surprise because of his personality. 

Callie: Herbalist. Lives off the grid by herself. Mentions wanting the money to buy the land she lives on, that's a plus. Anyone mentioning the money moves to the top of the list for me. She knows plants so it should be super helpful as long as she doesn't deal with what Nicole did with not preparing for the winter. No husband or kids, another plus. I'm hopeful for middle/late but may tap if weather gets bad.

Greg: Lives in a tough terrain, already has 66 days as his goal so once it goes past that he might lose his mind. He understands it's easier watching on tv than real life. I liked the daughter saying win or don't come home lol, he can't be in the woods crying on day 67 saying my (adult) daughter misses me! No she doesn't, she wants you to win. Middle of the pack.

Jim: High school teacher, I'm pretty sure that's the most hazardous job of the bunch. And also Yes! A couple having trouble getting pregnant (not yes to that) isn't crying about it and just going about adopting some kids who need homes (3!). I'm rooting for him. Don't think he will go far though, early to middle tap. But I like him so far. Needs to get some seatbelts for those dogs though.

Dan: Hunter. Kind of creepy, he has a 'fleshing' house next door for all his kills. He won't have those traps on this show so he better be good at catching food, hopefully there is bigger game than mice for him to catch in Patagonia. Lost his job so may be motivated but he might be an early tap if he is reliant on big game. Middle/late tap.

Seemed like a lot of Canadians, I'm starting to think our neighbors to the north only live in the wilderness and have to fend for themselves day and night. jk, I think it was only like 3, maybe 4 Canadians but I tend to notice more when the participant is not in the US. I might put together a tap order and see how close I get to being correct. I haven't looked at the preview yet, will come back and comment on that but will do the list first.

Edited by jvr
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, jvr said:

I haven't looked at the preview yet,

I think the preview was only 30 seconds, really couldn't tell anything from it except Patagonia is beautiful.  Water and woods like VI, but also mountains and valleys. Not sure how they will set out the campsites.

Collated from the History Channel website I linked to above. I'm still waiting to see "ferro rod with giant, bright neon red glow-in-the-dark handle" listed.

Britt Ahart

Britt was born and raised in the suburbs of Virginia, but he’s always felt a strong desire to be in the wilderness. Several years in the Boy Scouts, along with many camping trips and hikes, helped propel his love of the wilderness. After 30 years in Virginia, he relocated to the rural farms and forests of Ohio. There, he began a family and continued a more focused study of bushcraft and resourceful primitive living. He now enjoys spending his time acquiring more skills, while passing on knowledge to his 6-year-old son, Campbell, who is already expressing his love for the wilderness.

Here are the ten items Britt selected to bring on his survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Sleeping Bag: 0°, synthetic
2. Ax: 31-inch felling ax
3. Saw: 24-inch bow saw
4. Pot: 2 quarts q/ handle
5. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks
6. Ferro Rod
7. Paracord
8. Knife
9. Rations
10. Rations

Carleigh Fairchild

Born and raised in Ohio, Carleigh spent her teenage years going to summer camps and taking classes to learn survival skills. From the very beginning, she loved starting fires, building shelters, skinning animals and weaving baskets. It was through these skills that she felt a growing spiritual connection with the earth. At 18, she moved to Washington State to attend Earthwalk Northwest Wilderness School to continue studying primitive living skills and ethno-botany.

She now lives in a remote Alaskan community of 50 people with her boyfriend and dreams of building a cabin and traveling the world with him. Around the community, she has many jobs, including gardening, landscaping, roofing, framing, finish carpentry, and she’s also a city council member. Throughout her life, she has had a love for adventure and self-discovery, and is thankful to her parents for their continued support of her independent nature. She is looking forward to testing her skills while living in Patagonia this year.

Here are the ten items Carleigh selected to bring on her survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Sleeping Bag: -30°, synthetic
2. Water Canister: 64 oz metal water bottle
3. Pot: 2 quarts w/ handle
4. Ferro Rod
5. Ax: short-handled 2 lb ax
6. Saw: folding pruning saw w/ long handle
7. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks, 100 lb test & 20 lb test
8. Knife: full tang
9. Rations
10. Rations

Zachary Fowler

Fowler, as he’s known, was born in Vermont, where he grew up enjoying outdoor adventures with his parents. After high school, he studied boat building in Maine and discovered such a knack for it, that he began building boats as a career. At age 21, he permanently moved to coastal Maine and bought two and a half acres of rugged, wooded land. During this time, he spent his days making boats and every free moment playing in the wilderness. After he met his wife, Jami, the two started a self-sufficient lifestyle, living in a hand-built yurt. Along with their daughters, Abigail and Sparrow, they continue to pursue the dream of self-sufficiency.

Here are the ten items Fowler selected to bring on his survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Shovel: Spetznas (Russian Special Forces) model w/ sharpened edge
2. Sleeping Bag: -20°
3. Ax: felling ax
4. Pot: 2 quarts w/ handle
5. Ferro Rod
6. Slingshot: custom-made, 2 elastic bands, 30 pieces of ammo
7. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks; 20 lb test & 50 lb test
8. Paracord
9. Saw: crosscut saw
10. Multitool: pliers, guthook, screwdriver, blade, spoon gauge, file, scissors, sewing awl

Zachary Gault

Zach was raised in Caledon, Ontario, with an intrinsic passion for the outdoors. At the age of 5, he started honing his skills in the art of bushcraft and wilderness living. Countless hours of “dirt time” gave him the ability and confidence to immerse himself in uncomfortable situations with the belief that going through such ordeals would only better his nature abilities. At the age of 18, he started doing long term, solo wilderness living in the heart of Northern Ontario’s boreal forest. He has constructed many different primitive shelters, lived in them for prolonged periods of time and sustained himself solely from the earth. He feels there is a strong connection to the land when you strip away the comforts of the modern world, and it has become a way of life for him.

Here are the ten items Zach selected to bring on his survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Sleeping Bag: -40°
2. Pot: “13 cm billycan”
3. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks; 80 lb test & 20 lb test
4. Sharpening Stone: 2 sided: coarse diamond & smooth ceramic
5. Ferro Rod
6. Saw: small folding handsaw
7. Paracord: 40 meters
8. Ax: 25-inch w/ 2lb head
9. Knife: full tang
10. Rations

Megan Hanacek

Megan is a professional forester and biologist working in British Columbia, Canada. Growing up in small coastal town at the edge of the Great Bear Rainforest, her love of the outdoors began during lengthy camping, fishing, diving and photography excursions with her father, who is also a biologist.

Megan’s survival and bushcraft skills were honed through 20 years of forestry and biology field work, and included numerous close encounters with predators such as cougars and bears. She is a certified fitness trainer, avid fisherwoman, marathon runner and adventure racer. She resides on Vancouver Island and says her greatest accomplishment is her family, including her husband and two children.

Here are the ten items Megan selected to bring on her survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Sleeping Bag: -14°, synthetic
2. Bivvy Bag
3. Ax: 31-inch, 4.5 lb head
4. Knife: W2 bowie knife, 10-inch blade
5. Pot: 2 quarts w/ handle
6. Gillnet
7. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks; 2 different weight tests
8. Paracord – ½ light and ½ dark
9. Ferro Rod
10. Ration

Dave Nessia

Dave realized his love for the outdoors at 8 years old, when, as a camper, he learned about edible plants and one-match fires. At 32, he became obsessed with learning and teaching survival skills, and became a Desert Survival Instructor at Boulder Outdoor Survival School (BOSS). During his time at BOSS, he lived in a cave, two wickiups, a pit house, a stone shelter and a Kazakhstani felted yurt. Continually honing his skills, he has ventured on many walkabouts without any modern gear. One of his most memorable trips was when he spent 44 winter days living in a pit house, with temperatures reaching negative 6 degrees Fahrenheit. He continues to teach bushcraft skills, striving to live in a way that gives him bliss.

Here are the ten items Dave selected to bring on his survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Sleeping Bag: -20°, synthetic
2. Tarp: clear poly tarp
3. Ax: medium felling ax
4. Knife
5. Ferro Rod
6. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks; 8 lb test & 50 lb test
7. Frying Pan: steel
8. Bow & Arrows: 4 broadhead points & 2 judo points
9. Rations
10. Rations

Callie North

Callie was born and raised on a small island in the Salish Sea. She attended alternative schools and was given the opportunity to follow her passions and travel the world from a very young age. After graduating high school, her independent and adventurous spirit led her on numerous journeys around the globe. Her highlights include a year in Australia, becoming a Dive Master in Thailand, foraging the jungles of Maui, working on a remote island off the coast of Ireland, mountain climbing in Guatemala, camping her way across Norway and hiking the Camino de Santiago in Spain.

After migrating back to her Washington State island home, she moved into a small cabin in the forest where she lives with no electricity or running water. Surrounded by a vibrant, mossy landscape, she has learned to live close to the land while pursuing her creative passions, including being a singer-songwriter. Utilizing her deep love and expanding knowledge of medicinal plants, she recently opened her first business–an herbal apothecary. Callie views the opportunity to live in the Patagonian wilderness as an immense gift, and hopes to deepen emotionally and spiritually and meet the challenges that arise with good humor and fortitude.

Here are the ten items Callie selected to bring on her survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Knife: handmade, 1095 carbon steel, bone handle, with silver & abalone inlay
2. Ferro rod
3. Sleeping Bag: -40°, dry down
4. Pot: 2 quart w/ handle
5. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks, 10 lb & 40 lb test
6. Paracord: 40 meters
7. Tarp: heavy-duty, handsewn, 40 mil, military-grade
8. Saw: folding long-handled pruning saw
9. Rations
10. Rations

Jim Shields

Jim grew up in the suburbs of Bucks County, Pennsylvania. During his college years, he enjoyed rock climbing, mountaineering and adventure traveling. He also spent extended periods of time working as a professional wilderness guide in both Colorado and Alaska. In 2003, he started an Adventure Club at his high school in Horsham, PA, where he planned and guided trips to Maui, Alaska, British Columbia, Oregon, Washington, Colorado, Utah, Costa Rica and Turkmenistan.

For the last thirteen years, he has been teaching high school. For eight of those years, he’s been teaching a self-designed wilderness survival and mountaineering course, as well as running a leadership program at his high school. He is also a certified Wilderness EMT. Jim lives with his wife Jennifer and their two dogs Gizmo and Ouray.

Here are the ten items Jim selected to bring on his survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Sleeping Bag: -20°, synthetic
2. Ax: Scandinavian forest ax
3. Saw: bow saw
4. Knife: 5-inch carbon steel bush knife
5. Ferro Rod
6. Paracord: 40 meters
7. Pot: 2 quart bush pot w/ handle
8. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks, 300 yards of fishing line
9. Rations
10. Rations

Greg Ovens

Greg is a self-taught survivalist who, since he was a boy, has read nearly every book on the topic. He started his first bow drill fire when he was thirteen and spent the next 40 years learning bushcraft and studying plants and edibles. He has even developed some of his own survival techniques. When his two daughters were born, he eagerly shared with them his love of the wilderness, and they spent nearly all of their time together in the woods picking berries and camping.

Here are the ten items Greg selected to bring on his survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Knife: high carbon steel archer knife, giraffe bone handle
2. Paracord
3. Pot: 2 quart stainless steel w/ handle
4. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 assorted hooks, 60 lb test & 15 lb test
5. Bow & Arrows: laminated maple recurve, 62 inch, 55 lb pull; quiver w/ 6 carbon arrows w/ broadhead tips
6. Ax: 60 year old German steel ax
7. Saw: 60-70 year old crosscut saw
8. Sleeping bag: -40°, down-filled, waterproof
9. Ferro Rod
10. Rations

Dan Wowak

Dan’s love for the outdoors began as a small child, when his grandfather took him hiking and fishing in rural Pennsylvania. That passion continued to grow and led to countless days spent hunting, trapping, camping and doing anything else that allowed him time in the woods. After earning his bachelor’s and master’s degrees, Dan began pushing himself further–competing in obstacle courses and 24-hour endurance races. This drive and mental toughness slowly began to mesh with his love for the outdoors, and he began to immerse himself in the world of bushcraft and survival, ultimately finding his true passion in life. He now shares that passion with his son, Jax, and his wife, Brooke, much the way his grandfather shared it with him.

Here are the ten items Dan selected to bring on his survival journey to Patagonia:

1. Ax: full-size felling ax
2. Knife: high carbon steel
3. Saw: 30-inch bow saw
4. Sleeping Bag: -20°, synthetic
5. Hammock
6. Paracord
7. Pot: 2 quart bush pot w/ handle
8. Ferro Rod
9. Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks; 20 lb test & 8 lb test
10. Rations

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

Thanks, I hadn't looked at the list of items they selected, I like to form opinions based off 5 min clips lol. The only thing that jumps out at me is Zach (the one I have going far) seems to be the only one who didn't select any rations...could be a good move or one that has him struggling and weak from the start.

• Love 1
(edited)

There are actually 2 Zachs, it looks like the one w/o additional rations goes by his last name, Fowler. Good name for an outdoorsman. (ETA: He also brought a slingshot, which I think is a first.)

I am amazed at the variety of sleeping bags, with ratings from 0 to -40. I know there is a restriction that everything you take must fit into a certain size pack, but wouldn't you want to go for the lowest temp rated possible?  Also, I'm surprised that only 2 people selected tarps, which always seemed the best way to throw up a quick shelter the first day.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1

Oh ok, it was Fowler without the rations, they had him by his last name in his video. Young survivalist Zach (the one I had going far) did take rations. Slingshots seem like something that seems cool but doesn't actually work in real life. lol

And yes tarps seem like an essential item for quick shelters and even building boats! I would think the only disadvantage to consider when selecting a sleeping bag is compressibility and water resistance, so I'm guessing the higher rated ones probably score lower in those categories so people don't choose them.

Here is my list... I vowed to not put the black guy as the first tap lol, I hope he watched last season and knows the bar is very very low. As long as he doesn't tap virtually immediately after getting off the boat he will outperform Desmond. But really, the dude is an accountant! lol Just kidding, wasn't the winner last year Dave a missionary priest? He won because he NEEDED that money, it kept him going each day. I didn't sense desperation in anyone but I'm sure it will come out as the season progresses.

1. Carleigh: The first tap is the hardest, you really just have to guess. This person has to either be terrified the minute they get out there or hurts themselves. I would usually pick someone who is military or a cop because they overestimate their confidence without a gun.
  2. Jim
  3. Britt: If he taps first I'm gonna be mad lol. Something about him listing boy scouts makes me lol, please don't tap first!
  4. Megan
  5. Dan: Liked that he has a hammock, I like the idea of being off the ground.
  6. Greg: Bow and arrow, useless I bet.
  7. Fowler: That slingshot is dumb as heck, that's some type of stuff a kid would think to bring. I better see him use that and actually catch something with it.
  8. Callie: I'm hoping she is this years Nicole but with actual motivation to win. I'm concerned about this pick though. Didn't like that she doesn't have an axe.
  9. Dave: Everyone else went with a pot with a top and handle, he has a big frying pan with no top....hmmm? He also has a bow and arrow which I think is almost as dumb as the sling shot. Does anyone know if Patagonia has more small or big game to catch on land? Previous seasons have me thinking bringing items like this is dumb and a waste, people were crushing their fingers catching little boney mice using rock traps. So I have a lot of problems with what he selected but I still have him coming in second lol.
  10. Zach: Winner, winner chicken dinner. 

This winner prediction is just as likely as us all thinking Jose would walk away with the win last year.

On 12/3/2016 at 2:03 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Also, I'm surprised that only 2 people selected tarps, which always seemed the best way to throw up a quick shelter the first day.

I thought about this some more while watching the videos with their items selections, I believe they are given 2 tarps that don't count as their 10, so the people who selected tarps wanted an extra one.

Longer preview video:

https://youtu.be/sPr3QyPUNGo

Edited by jvr

If you are going to bring a weapon, I think the slingshot might be a better choice than a bow and arrows.  There's probably an infinite supply of rocks around. I guess it all depends on the size and availability of game in the area.  I was always surprised that there wasn't more game on VI, but I guess that was an ecological thing due to an over-abundance of predators. I hope Patagonia will be different.

Interesting choices of items, and quite a departure from what had become almost universal VI choices. On the island people pretty much all looked to the water for food usually using gill nets. Not so much down south, I think only the one British Canadian, Megan, is bringing a net. Also, at first I had a hard time understanding why no one brought cordage to the Island... duh, the tide brought all they needed. It's back on the list this time, almost everyone is taking paracord, and I think those without paracord are taking some heavy test fishing line. Personally, I would never take 100 lb test, once you get over 50 lb test it gets hard to use. A couple guys seem to be hoping to bring down larger game with bow and arrows, a possibility I guess given that google indicates deer and wild pigs are hunted. I agree with Quilt Fairy's post about the slingshot, if he knows how to use one it may be better... problem is, despite what many think, you need skill to use a sling, not only to hit where you're aiming, but to get close enough to shoot. My understanding is you really want a head shot, because blunt force trauma to the body could cause internal bleeding which would ruin some of the meat. I think small game would be the better choice, both for ease of hunting and to preserve and use. Course 1 deer/hog would go alot farther than a rabbit or bird, assuming you can preserve the meat. My understanding is that the European hare is overpopulated and considered a pest in wide areas, while the native rabbits (not really rabbits, but can't think of the name... ah ha I was thinking of the Patagonia Mara https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patagonian_mara and bigger than I thought, 18-35 lbs) are threatened and protected in areas. It would be neat if someone made a hunting bolo, if only because when I think Argentina I think of bolas. There are a couple choices on the list that could be interesting. When I see Dave chose a poly tarp I immediately wonder if he might be planning a water catchment system... good on VI, but I wonder about the climate in Patagonia. We again have someone choosing a multifunction, Leatherman type tool instead of a knife. This was Fowler, who I believe is the first to bring a shovel, and is the guy with a sling... but no rations. Hmm, home made yurt, lives off grid, could be a good one to watch, as long as he doesn't get to building boats. ? Then we have Callie, who isn't bringing an ax. First thought is why not, everybody brings an ax? But, then it looks like she has lived off grid and has lots of experience hiking and camping in various terrains around the world, and is experienced with recognising what plants are useful. Hmm, she's bringing along a heavy tarp, but a down sleeping bag and no ax... hope she knows what she's doing, and I've thought myself that a good saw might be better than an ax.

Looking forward to the intro episode, as my Internet doesn't lend itself well to watching video online.

Edited by SRTouch
Added link

Omigosh!  I can't believe this show is starting again!  I saw there was a marathon of the past season on over the weekend, and I hoped that meant a new season was imminent, and now I finally remembered to check in here to find out that yes, we've got a new season.  This is going to be so interesting....the last two seasons took place on Vancouver Island, and as a PacNW native, I'm really familiar with the terrain and flora and fauna of our region.  So...while I gasped at how beautiful it was, and at their survival skills, I have camped and hiked (very, very well supplied mind you, often only feet from my car) through similar country so it all seemed very "backyard" to me. 

Patagonia is a whole 'nother interesting and mysterious place for me, and one I'm really looking forward to learning about along with our survivalists.  The choice of equipment suggests to me that the environment might be drier but very col, and that maybe they're not going to an area where tidal effects would make a gill net sensible.  On VI, gill nets and tarps were the way to go, all the way.  I wonder what will turn out to be the essential items for Patagonia?

• Love 4
(edited)

Good catch on the gillnets, SRT.  I saw everyone taking hooks and fishing line and automatically thought that meant gillnet as well, but of course it's a separate item. (Heh, I just caught myself from writing "but of course it's a separate island".)

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1

I've been following Britt on Facebook since his first appearance on the show.  He seems to be a genuinely nice guy, and not afraid of taking any job necessary to take care of his family.

The other day he posted on Facebook, "My superpower is the ability to reach items in the store from the top shelf to help a little old lady."

Although NOT the little old lady in his post, I responded, "Bless you. I often have to ask superheroes like you for help. But I always offer to return the favor by reaching things on the lower shelves for the tall people who help me."

I got a laughing face from him in response.  I love it when someone I respect laughs at my comments.

• Like 3