Type keyword(s) to search

Manchester by the Sea (2016)

hendersonrocks
  • Start Topic

On 5/7/2017 at 4:41 PM, AuntiePam said:

I saw it last night too (thanks, Amazon!)  I think Lee was surprised that he wouldn't be charged with something.  Would it have made him feel better?  He wanted punishment.  

I also couldn't understand his reluctance to relocate.  It wasn't as if he was more content in Quincy.  Classic case of "no matter where you go, there you are." 

He did want to be charged - he was shocked that he wasn't and tried to kill himself right after. And then I think he thought, well, if the law won't punish me, I'll do it myself. He didn't want to be happy. He'll never be happy because he thinks he doesn't deserve it. He's picking fights, ignoring women who hit on him (the spilled beer gambit is a classic), taking shitty jobs and living in shitty apartments, all because he wants to punish himself for the death of his children. He isn't going to live, he's going to exist. 

I would think he could be charged with criminally negligent homicide, but I'm not a lawyer. I think the familiarity with the cops meant he got a break.

• Love 3
On December 11, 2016 at 8:09 PM, Notwisconsin said:

While the performances were excellent. This is what might be called a "gilded turd" not a particularly good film, but it resembles one. The problem is that there are no characters that one can root for or identify with except the dead brother, and he's dead.

I really didn't like  this movie, and I shouldn't hate it because I sort of have a personal connection to someone involved with it.  This movie felt like its was ten hours long.  Glad I watched "Moonlight" after; that move was so much better.  

• Love 2

I disliked the movie too. Currently, my least liked of the nominated films. 

I also couldn't get over the central plot point, the dead brother appointing Affleck as the guardian of the son. There was a very good chance of Affleck saying no to this appointment, so there should have been an alternate. But apparently there was none. Pretty crappy parenting, if you ask me.

And I still can't believe the two girls didn't realize they were being played during the funeral. Didn't at least one of them try to console him, by kissing or just being affectionate?

4 hours ago, memememe76 said:

And I still can't believe the two girls didn't realize they were being played during the funeral. Didn't at least one of them try to console him, by kissing or just being affectionate?

Yeah, Silvie did (the darkhaired one). But I got the impression Sandy DID know about them, but just didn't particularly mind - she asked later on "And how's Silvie McGann?" and just laughed when he pretended to be oblivious.

I watched this movie for the fourth time the other day, first homeviewing after seeing it three times in the cinema, and it still hit me just as hard as the first time. It's not perfect, there are bits I'd cut or change, but I still absolutely love it.

• Love 2