Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Past Prologue

Stardate: Unknown - Major Kira's loyalties are questioned when she helps an old friend, now a suspected terrorist trying to destroy the Bajoran Wormhole

Ok, I kept waiting for someone else to be first, so since no one has jumped at the chance, let me start.  ::giggle::

I like Kira, I imagine I am supposed to.  I love the dynamic between her and Sisko, enjoyed watching it grow during this episode. 

How did I not see the Klingon Sisters and Tahna being in cahoots?  That surprised me, along with the hit Tahna inflicted on Kira, I was like, OUCH.  That was uncalled for.  Well, maybe not in his world.

So far, I am intrigued.  Another nice set up for the characters ... not sure how I feel about Dax right now, can't figure her out.

• Love 1

Yes, Dax is.. interesting.  (I dont want to spoil things.) 

This was a solid 2nd episode after the pilot; it still holds up 20+ years later!

I love the insight it gives into Bajoran culture and values (and it's nice that, after the "Ro-like" Kira in the pilot, they're ALREADY starting to give her depth and personality.

Though I thought Tahna could have been fleshed out considerably better; he didn't really do much for me. (Though I so always love the "Klingon-centric" eps.)

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 2

I have to give props to the writers for their self-restraint.  Seriously.  They had a character as interesting as Garak and the temptation to use him constantly must have been very great.  And as much as I loved the character (BTW, I will be using the word "love/loved" a great deal in relation to DS9 -- just so you know) it would have been a mistake.  So yay for the writers for knowing when not to use too much of a good thing.

Speaking of good things, Bashir is still Mr. Goofus, which makes me giggle.

I read an interview with Andrew Robinson years ago and I remember he said that he made a conscious decision to act as if Garak was coming on to Bashir during that first scene.  He said it took Sid by surprise at first (Sid couldn't quite believe it) but (IIRC) the director liked the way that played out so they decided to leave it like that.  Hence that ambiguous is he or isn't he? vibe.

One of the things that's great about this series is that problems are not solved in 46 minutes, and Bajor is a prime example.  The lingering resentments and politics are very real and real-to-life.  I personally thought the Kohn-Ma guy was an idiot; independence does not mean forswearing a helping hand, but his kind of thinking makes no room for any kind of compromise.  He's the worst kind of idealist -- willing to let others suffer for his beliefs.

• Love 5
Hence that ambiguous is he or isn't he? vibe.

Interesting.

I honestly never noticed that.  I actually never gave a particular thought to Garak's sexuality. 

Thanks, Pippin! That will absolutely throw a new light on the show as I'm doing the rewatch, which is exactly why I love doing these things. 

BTW, for the Garak fans out there, "A Stitch in Time" (a DS9 novel about Garak and his past, written by Andrew J Robinson himself) is excellent; you can probably find it for sale online somewhere, or the ebook version is readily avialable, too.  (It also unoffically launches the DS9 "Relaunch" line of novels.

Edited by ShadowDenizen
  • Love 3

Bashir is so naive here. He meets the "spy" and tells him that everyone thinks he's a spy. Then he basically asks if he is. Only one episode after his big speech to Kira about "frontier medicine." Lol.

Love Garak. Andrew Robinson really did a great job with him. With another actor, he could've been a really boring character.

Interesting.

I honestly never noticed that.  I actually never gave a particular thought to Garak's sexuality. 

Thanks, Pippin! That will absolutely throw a new light on the show as I'm doing the rewatch, which is exactly why I love doing these things. 

BTW, for the Garak fans out there, "A Stitch in Time" (a DS9 novel about Garak and his past, written by Andrew J Robinson himself) is excellent; you can probably find it for sale online somewhere, or the ebook version is readily avialable, too.  (It also unoffically launches the DS9 "Relaunch" line of novels.

Oh I definitely noticed that about Garak. He definitely was flirting with Bashir but I always thought it was just a way for Garak to get under Bashir's skin a little, see how he could rattle the good doctor but hey, you never know. Andrew Robinson is a master with how he portrayed Garak. There are certain actors out there who just embody a character, make it their own and no one else could ever compare. He is one of them.

I never read "A Stitch in Time" but did read that is was a very exceptional DS9 (or ever Star Trek) novel and thought it awesome that Robinson wrote it - good for him! I should pick it up.

I have to give props to the writers for their self-restraint.  Seriously.  They had a character as interesting as Garak and the temptation to use him constantly must have been very great.  And as much as I loved the character (BTW, I will be using the word "love/loved" a great deal in relation to DS9 -- just so you know) it would have been a mistake.  So yay for the writers for knowing when not to use too much of a good thing.

Speaking of good things, Bashir is still Mr. Goofus, which makes me giggle.

I read an interview with Andrew Robinson years ago and I remember he said that he made a conscious decision to act as if Garak was coming on to Bashir during that first scene.  He said it took Sid by surprise at first (Sid couldn't quite believe it) but (IIRC) the director liked the way that played out so they decided to leave it like that.  Hence that ambiguous is he or isn't he? vibe.

One of the things that's great about this series is that problems are not solved in 46 minutes, and Bajor is a prime example.  The lingering resentments and politics are very real and real-to-life.  I personally thought the Kohn-Ma guy was an idiot; independence does not mean forswearing a helping hand, but his kind of thinking makes no room for any kind of compromise.  He's the worst kind of idealist -- willing to let others suffer for his beliefs.

I agree about the self-restraint. DS9 was very good with getting subtle performances out of their actors, and they were done beautifully. I wonder though if our so-called subtleness is more because it's only the third episode. A little Cardassian (or Klingon - even Worf) or other aliens can go a long way, and it would be easy to alienate (ha!) the viewer with non-Federation characters. But the show realized quickly how amazing Robinson is and went with it.

The Kohn-Ma guy being the worst kind of idealist - totally agree. But what a reflection on our own society - so many willing to "fight" for their causes, until it directly affects them. Go figure.

Not a bad episode, but not one of my favourites to rewatch.

• Love 2

Yes, Dax is.. interesting.  (I dont want to spoil things.) 

This was a solid 2nd episode after the pilot; it still holds up 20+ years later!

I love the insight it gives into Bajoran culture and values (and it's nice that, after the "Ro-like" Kira in the pilot, they're ALREADY starting to give her depth and personality.

Though I thought Tahna could have been fleshed out considerably better; he didn't really do much for me. (Though I so always love the "Klingon-centric" eps.)

I thought is was an excellent 2nd episode.

I never thought Kira was "Ro-like" in the pilot.  I think she was just being Kira amongst people she didn't trust.  As she begins to trust Sisko and the rest of Star Fleet she softens.  I think you see the softer side of Kira when she has the private talk with Odo (who she trusts).  I thought it was interesting that Odo sort of made the decision for her, by calling Sisko and telling him someone wanted to talk with him.

Agree about Tahna.  I think if they added some details to make him a bit more sympathetic, Kira's conflict over what to do would have been more profound. 

I think there is sort of a continuity error here, in that the Klingons were willing to trade the explosives for gold.  In later episodes we find that in that world gold is merely a worthless container for precious latinum.  The Klingons did eventually negotiate for gold pressed latinum to betray the terrorists to the Cardassians though.  I believe it was measured in kilograms, as opposed to the more familiar slips, strips, bars and bricks of later episodes.

• Love 2

Isn't the  Kohn-Ma essentially an earlier version of the Maquis? The introduction of Garak was interesting but they didn't adequately explain what he was still doing there. In other words, they haven't really established what the understanding is between the Federation and the Cardassians.

I never thought Kira was "Ro-like" in the pilot.

I definitely thought she was - she even had the same hairstyle! It wasn't until this episode she got it cut and was allowed to become more of her own character.

The introduction of Garak was interesting but they didn't adequately explain what he was still doing there. In other words, they haven't really established what the understanding is between the Federation and the Cardassians.

This is explained in later episodes.

Garak says that he went to the last place anyone would think he'd go after being exiled, a stronghold of the enemy.

I love how Garak is just randomly brought in in this episode. Supposedly the writers were only planning on having him for a few episodes.