Type keyword(s) to search

Time Travel TV Craze

CabotCove
  • Start Topic

Just after a year of LoT debuting, this new season has seen a surge of time travel shows being created.

More and more people are jumping aboard time machines and aiming to change time, what have you done Legends

TIMELESS

MAKING HISTORY

TIME AFTER TIME

FREQUENCY

TIME TRAVELLING BONG

What are you going to check out?. Do you feel this will affect LEGENDS OF TOMMORROW and how?

(edited)

Its a subbed Foreign language (Spanish) show, but I've started watching The Ministry of Time (aka, El Ministerio del Tiempo) and have seen the first couple of episodes.

If you don't mind needing to read subtitles, its a decent show.  Seems to have thoughtfully crafted mytharcs in place while also feeling kinda procedural.   Already quite a few subplots introduced, along with well fleshed out characters that are being shown to the audience. 

Looking forward to binging more when have time this weekend and next week.

{if you don't have a ton of free time to binge episodes, be aware that each episode has a running time of 65-70+ minutes}

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
(edited)

If you're looking for a somewhat unique use of time travel, I have a reality show recommendation.

The Great Escape is a reality show from South Korea.  In each pair of episodes, the cast in brought into a very detailed and plot-heavy escape "room" (typically a building with multiple rooms to explore), and they have to escape.  As with any escape room, there are clues to find and puzzles to solve before they can actually escape.

However, in the 1st & 2nd episodes of the 3rd season, the producers changed it up.  This time, there was only one room to escape: a Time Travel Laboratory.  In order to escape, they had to activate and learn how to use an experimental machine that could only move in time, not location, and find clues in the past and future in order to escape.

And as I was writing the above, I remembered that the last regular episodes of season 2 (11 and 12.  The final episode of each season is a recap special of the whole season with the cast getting bts looks and both cast and crew answering fun questions about the season.) had time-travel elements.  More like the movie Frequency, or the highly-rated South Korean drama Signal, though.  The regular cast were solving their escape, which involved them fleeing a psychopathic killer.  Meanwhile, a guest cast was in the same location about a month into the future, after the killer had been caught after murdering the regular cast.  Like the dramatic works mentioned above, the two teams are in contact by radio, and can send information back and forth in time, which both teams needed to do to solve some of the puzzles, including the final lock of the escape.

Since I mentioned it, Signal is currently available with subtitles on Netflix.  And I also just found out that there are both Japanese and Chinese remakes of Signal.  The original Korean version is from 2016 (with a 2nd season long rumored to be in the works), the Japanese version from 2018, and the Chinese version (titled Unknown Number) started airing late 2019.

Edited by SVNBob

Add The Beforeigners to this list. Norwegian and on HBO. I am loving it at the moment.This is Alien Nation with a 2020 feel. The best line I heard today was this: I am sorry. We are going to have to let you go, murdering saints isn't compatible with Foodies Values." The employee had been a Viking in the past and killed Saint Olaf and was being let go from being Norway's version of a grub hub.

• Love 2

Did you watch the series Devs?  It’s available on Hulu.  It’s story about time is pretty complex.  I liked it, but it made my head hurt. I’m not sure I really understand it.  

I really liked the UK series Timewasters. It's recently been picked up by IMDB TV, but of course there's also a US remake being developed.

"Starring Daniel Lawrence Taylor (Cockroaches) as Nick, Kadiff Kirwan (Chewing Gum) as Jason, Adelayo Adedayo (Skins) as Lauren, and Samson Kayo (Truth Seekers) as Horace, the first season sees the band transported back to 1920s high-society London.

In the second season, the time-traveling quartet are transported to London in the 1950s. Met with strange stares and genuine curiosity in both eras, the group navigates the clash of cultures and social conventions all while exploring worlds that are, at once, both incredibly familiar and painfully foreign."