Type keyword(s) to search

Watch John Oliver Discuss Birds In This Last Week Tonight Web Exclusive

• Start Topic

I came across that Last Week Tonight vid about birds over on Facebook, and you should see some of the angry replies John's getting from birdwatchers and other bird fans. They're really insulted and upset. One person wrote a post that was probably longer than John's entire video commentary!

Wow.

Someone needs a sense of humor. ;)

• Love 1

I was considering sending this to some friends of mine who are avid bird watchers (they've traveled the world on bird watching trips), but decided not to -- in my experience, bird enthusiasts do NOT have a sense of humor when it comes to birds. I notice that the bird video has over twice as many thumbs down on YouTube as the Labor Day video, and that one has almost 3 million views vs. under a million for last night's.

I came across that Last Week Tonight vid about birds over on Facebook, and you should see some of the angry replies John's getting from birdwatchers and other bird fans. They're really insulted and upset. One person wrote a post that was probably longer than John's entire video commentary!

Wow.

Someone needs a sense of humor. ;)

I came across it on twitter, because I follow Birdsrightsactivist, a bird who wants to be president. The bird's insulted tweets are funny.

What do you hope to achieve by launching this appalling attack, Mr Oliver? Will you try to deport us birds from the country as is done to human ‘illegal immigrants’? Well, that won’t work. We’ll just return. And then leave. And return and leave and return again. Then what? Will you build a big wall? Ha! Like that’ll work. Many of us birds have flown our migratory routes since long before Americans came down from the trees — those are our trees, by the way.

Oh, and one last thing … about the graphic that you use in the left corner of your video. Couldn’t you have used an American species? Or do you think we all look alike? Your graphic shows a Eurasian robin — they don’t live here. You Brits tried to introduce them here long ago, but failed. Instead, we’re plagued by lots of your pigeons and sparrows and starlings. Oh, good job with the starlings and sparrows, by the way. You’re busily killing them off back home, but they’re doing great over here.

So, next time you try to be funny, remember that we matter. Your jokes impact us. And we don’t like it. And speaking of impacts, you’d best wear a hat if you don’t want your hair to become messed up and gooey because you can never hide from us: we recognize you from high up. And we will take special care that you don’t see us flying stealthily in from above.

Bird Lives Matter Responds To John Oliver

• Love 1