Type keyword(s) to search

Sarah's Marathon Diary: In Season 2, Control And Conservatism Enter The West Wing

• Start Topic

Very nice article but there is one error.

It is actually directly addressed in the episode, where Josh talks about being concerned he'll flip out if he comes across another suicide pilot who shares his birthday.  Arkin's character explains that WASN'T what triggered Josh and his associate goes on to explain that it was the music, the brass quintet that set Josh off.

This is a nuance message, but an impact one from Sorkin, about the nature of PTDS and the people who suffer and often kill themselves from it.  It can be the littlest thing that will affect them, not some big momentous occasion and so its important to be watching for the discreet signs of suffering.  Like how Donna noticed Josh's hand.

Edited by storyskip
  • Love 3

I need to rewatch. One of my fave parts of the whole series is Leo talking to Josh trying to convince Josh to go to watch candidate Bartlet. Leo says something like "I'm tired of choosing between not good enough and mediocre candidates. (Sorkin said it much better). I love that part.

• Love 1

I am currently watching The West Wing for what is essentially the first time. I am already into the third episode of Season 4. And I have to say, so far Season 2 is my favorite, if only because of Ainsley Hayes. I have always liked Emily Proctor, but I never knew how good she was as Ainsley. Between her and the greatness that is Janel Moloney, I am really kicking myself for not having come aboard for The West Wing back when it was on. If I had known I could have had crushes on Donna Moss AND Ainsley Hayes for the last 17 years, I would have been all over it. I guess better late than never, though that is only a small comfort.

• Love 1

As @storyskip said, it was the music in the White House for the holidays--in general, & not just the brass quintet--which triggered Josh's PTSD. He also had an "attack"/flashbacks to injuring his hand while listening to Yo-Yo Ma's performance at the White House Christmas Party for Members of Congress in the ep.

It wasn't the suicidal pilot who triggered the PTSD; he was just something for Josh to conveniently obsess over at the time he was in his PTSD-related turmoil. And the pilot was an Air Force pilot, not an airline pilot as in the marathon article. If I remember correctly, that event was based on at least 1 real-life event back in that era. I think the real Air Force pilot & his plane were found somewhere in New Mexico.

@jacksgirl I think Leo's line about the choice of candidates was "I'm tired of choosing between the lesser of 'Who cares?'", or something close to that.

@reggiejax It's interesting you liked Donna/Janel Moloney so much from the get-go. I liked her too. But many others don't see her appeal &/or consider her the weakest actress/character in the show.

I guess I disagree about Ainsley? I think we are supposed to like her and see her as a model of what "smart conservatism" should be? In that sense, she's such an artificial construct I didn't like her at all. The "liberals are just bigots against Southerners" thing she liked to say wore out it's welcome real fast, IMHO.

I should confess her arrival was about the time I set the show aside and never got back to though, so what do I know?

• Love 4

I believe we are also supposed to be surprised that she can hold her own against the liberals and make (albeit few) rational arguments from the conservative side.  And she does support Bartlet most of the time.

16 hours ago, AndySmith said:

I think we're supposed to like Ainsley because she in a young blond pretty white woman. She's almost the prototype for FOX News' female newscasters/reporters.

Oddly enough, Fox News has a female newscaster/reporter/show host named Ainsley. Ainsley Earhardt. (I think she replaced Elisabeth Hasselbeck on the Fox & Friends weekday morning show when EH left awhile back, but not that long ago).

I loved her from the moment she wiped that kind of smuggish look from Sam's face on TV with her sharp repartee ..it was awesome. As was Josh's gleeful reaction in the office while watching it.
I was always kinda dssapointed that Sam and she never hooked up because they had always great chemistry ans awesome exchanges ...and I loved how he fired the two douchebro's who were mean to her. (not that she could not stand her own ground)
I also loved her talks with Leo. AND one of my favorite moments is when she goes to linch with two of her friends or co-workers who are kinda cliche-repubs, who are joking and being all smug about how Aisley must have turned down working at the White house saying stuff like: Did you meet one person there wjho wasn't totally worthless ...and Ainsley is Super-Offended and just looks at them in disgust saying : don't call them worthless. At least don't do it in front of me. The people that I have met have been extraordinarily qualified, their intent is good. Their commitment is true, they are righteous, and they are patriots. And I'm their lawyer.
LOVE HER!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mizminnie said:

I loved her from the moment she wiped that kind of smuggish look from Sam's face on TV with her sharp repartee ..it was awesome. As was Josh's gleeful reaction in the office while watching it.
I was always kinda dssapointed that Sam and she never hooked up because they had always great chemistry ans awesome exchanges ...and I loved how he fired the two douchebro's who were mean to her. (not that she could not stand her own ground)
I also loved her talks with Leo. AND one of my favorite moments is when she goes to linch with two of her friends or co-workers who are kinda cliche-repubs, who are joking and being all smug about how Aisley must have turned down working at the White house saying stuff like: Did you meet one person there wjho wasn't totally worthless ...and Ainsley is Super-Offended and just looks at them in disgust saying : don't call them worthless. At least don't do it in front of me. The people that I have met have been extraordinarily qualified, their intent is good. Their commitment is true, they are righteous, and they are patriots. And I'm their lawyer.
LOVE HER!

Josh:  Toby, come quick.  Sam's getting his ass kicked by a girl.

Toby:  Ginger, get the popcorn.

I agree with everything you've said here.  Sam and Ainsley were my one and only TWW ship.  Didn't care that much about Josh and Donna or Josh and anyone for that matter.  Sam and Mallory were OK by me but Sam and Ainsley?  Loved them together and I loved her character on her own.  I blame it on the BossaNova!