Type keyword(s) to search

S01:E07 Episode 7 Suffer the children

wiki synopsis:  

Spoiler

Karl and Elise now believe that the Truth Terrorist is a police officer, due to his knowledge of police procedures.

Delgado's widow (Caroline Proust) suspects it is one of his colleagues who participated with him in some training exercises. The officers involved were financed by a company called ZP Holdings, but its offices are found to be deserted.

The Truth Terrorist hijacks a minibus of school children in Kent and holds them in a farm.

For his "final truth", relating to the exploitation of children, he urges the public to attack department stores known for using child labour. He releases a child in return for each attack, and then asks the public to decide which of the two remaining children should die. Ultimately, he lets them both live and executes the minibus driver.

The Truth Terrorist later calls Hillier and offers to give himself up after giving him an exclusive interview, but instead, he kills Hillier with a bomb.

Elise's colleague Cécile Cabrillac (Bouaziz) works out the identity of a police officer who could be the Truth Terrorist; Fabien Vincent.

Karl's lost his swagger ... and I have "bad feelings" about Laura's new "friend" (that whole "I've boxed your car in" exchange was artificial), but he's very very cute. 

Karl's son may well be a chip off the old block, although it would have been "cute" if it turned out he was emboldened by his father's assumption he had had sex with Elise  (although good-looking 18 year olds tend to be bold and ... 

I felt mildly sorry for Hillier (even if he seemed to be an immature careerist wanker) ... do you think TT set him up with the woman who "self-immolated"? 

two more episodes to go... 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1

Yeah, Laura's parking lot wienie is definitely not on the up and up. Why she was even polite to him is beyond me, much less starting to text with him.

The highlight of the episode for me was Elise allowing Karl to hug her. Cracked me up.

• Love 4

The parking lot guy ... from our view, there was plenty of room for Laurie go back-and-forth out of her space. Then she thinks it's funny when he "accidentally" rams her car? Not. But the text flirting, IMO, is just her getting back at Karl. Because, you know, the way to fix a cheating spouse is to cheat yourself. Felt sorry for the reporter. He almost got out, then got tricked back in. I didn't quite "get" where the kids/bus driver were being held. Public place? Not-so-public place? Seems everyone got there quickly enough AFTER the driver got killed.

• Love 2

Yes,  it felt like a cheat ... the bus was found at the empty plant, and I think the children were somewhere quite separate but undefined -- maybe a farm -- so the whole "will the children get burned to death?" anxiety seemed to be a redherring (or equivalent) .. but how the driver and children got to wherever not mentioned, and the driver (who was unconscious) might have asked the children where they were, how long he'd been unconscious, how many people they'd seen, etc. Unimportant boring exposition, except when I realized I had thought they were imperiled by the fire when they (apparently) never were.  The writing is odd that way -- odd lapses and bumps -- the lapsing back and forth between French and English I think enhances a suspension of disbelief, which then makes "lapses" feel like a betrayal. I can't remember who Fabien Vincent (the guy identified at the end) was/is ... though I recognized him as someone I'd seen before... 

Oh, there are 3 more episodes. 

My radar is way up on parking guy.  Seems weird to be texting with random parking lot guy who first blocked you in, and then rammed your car, so I give Laura big stupid side-eye for that.  No, really, who cares how cute he is and how mad she is about Karl's cheating - dude is an unemployed stranger who has brought nothing but car trouble.  Flirting with a stranger from the parking lot when you're newly pregnant, have a bunch of other kids already, and are in the middle of some marital discord related to cheating just screams of "how do I make my life even more messy and complicated?" and that's not even considering whether he's secretly a scam artist or axe murderer.

WTF is up with Karl's son and Elise?  What does he want from her?  Why does he just randomly show up at her place wanting to spend the night?  What's wrong with him?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't quite "get" where the kids/bus driver were being held. Public place? Not-so-public place? Seems everyone got there quickly enough AFTER the driver got killed.

Right! I was already dubious because the feed was broadcast worldwide and nobody recognized the place? Granted it was mostly bare ground but there were a few identifying characteristics such as the central pole and even the absence of animal stalls, hay, equipment, etc. It was in pretty good shape for something that supposedly had been abandoned.

11 hours ago, izabella said:

WTF is up with Karl's son and Elise?  What does he want from her?  Why does he just randomly show up at her place wanting to spend the night?  What's wrong with him?

He's horny and she's attractive. :)

Edited by lordonia
23 hours ago, izabella said:

My radar is way up on parking guy. 

They've cast James Frain, which to my radar suggests he's TT. I have no knowledge of this, so no spoiler! It's just a tv commandment: The big name is the big bad. I'll be happy enough either way, though.

I enjoyed watching Karl scale the warehouse fence, being extremely careful as he avoids spearing the recently snipped boys with the fence-top spikes.

I'd be curious about how they shot Hillyer's demise -- those were fun fx.

Edited by attica
  • Love 4

James Frain!  I thought he looked very familiar!  Ok, now I'm convinced he's TT, because James Frain does not get hired for throwaway, meaningless parking lot guy parts.

I'd be curious about how they shot Hillyer's demise -- those were fun fx.

I thought that was pretty cool, too.  Super slow mo car explosion!  Love it.

• Love 1

James Frain is Parking Lot guy and now lead candidate for TT because he has the sinister-ness and dead eye stare to be a proper villian.

You will recognize him from many notable British and American films and TV series.

Always a solid actor whether  playing the villian, the hero whatever the script needs- he is like a sharp, dependable utility knife.

First noted him in Where the Heart Is as Forney Hull, the love interest of Natalie Portman, who famously delivers a baby in the local Walmart.

Hidden gem.

Not really, but Frain stood out.

Edited by humbleopinion
more nonsense
  • Love 3