Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: 1, 2, 3 Non-Cheerleader Conversation

• Start Topic

Having an emergency meltdown. My husband updated our cable package and I no longer receive CMT. Breathe deeply, breathe deeply...thanks be we have a Lakehouse with a different cable service. Could not figure out why my MTT reruns were not DVRing. ?????

First World Problems.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, LilRedHerring said:

Having an emergency meltdown. My husband updated our cable package and I no longer receive CMT. Breathe deeply, breathe deeply...thanks be we have a Lakehouse with a different cable service. Could not figure out why my MTT reruns were not DVRing. ?????

First World Problems.

Herring, I need you to sit down and breathe deeply. This isn't the first divorce in the world, there are plenty of fish in the sea, and really do you WANT a man that would do this to you? 

• Love 2
On 5/27/2017 at 10:29 AM, BritFan said:

Re. Cursive.. never gets taught in the UK ☹️Not even when my Mum was at school.. and she is in her 60's.

@Oranaiche  I work as a Jeweller! Come sell my stuff!!

That's crazy! I had no idea. So do y'all just print then? 

Totally kidding, I just wanted to ask a "dumb American" question. Mission accomplished! 

1 minute ago, QuiteCalM said:

That's crazy! I had no idea. So do y'all just print then? 

You get taught 'joined up' writing but then it pretty much is left to you to write however the hell you want lol! 

Maybe my school wasn't posh enough for them to enforce pretty cursive handwriting.. perhaps they thought we were all a lost cause ?

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, QuiteCalM said:

Herring, I need you to sit down and breathe deeply. This isn't the first divorce in the world, there are plenty of fish in the sea, and really do you WANT a man that would do this to you? 

I'm dying over here. He did not know. Our Comcast debacle was an interesting one to this year. Not his fault because we also lost his OutdoorTV channel.  We know not what Comcast does some times and then it's a cool 3 hours to find out. That's ok, it can be a new challenge for me as I want to collect/own the past seasons. I have an online account for Spectrum but CMT stopped carrying the full seasons for viewing with subscription or I'm blocked on my devices because I have AT&T and not Verizon. Not  that I am a huge nerd and have checked into this...

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, BritFan said:

You get taught 'joined up' writing but then it pretty much is left to you to write however the hell you want lol! 

Maybe my school wasn't posh enough for them to enforce pretty cursive handwriting.. perhaps they thought we were all a lost cause

OMG that's SO BRITISH!! Only the rich kids in the rolling countryside boarding schools get pretty cursive eh? Also I accidentally inserted this pic. And I can't take it out on my phone. So..... 

@RedHerring who the hell knows why Comcast does what they do. It makes my head pop to deal with them. 

• Love 1
Just now, BritFan said:

I'm just a Norf Lundun girl so ... yeah no posh boarding school for me lol!

Dammit I want to go there so badly. Do you live in a stone flat? Do you have recessed lighting? Do you have wellies? Do you have a Burberry print slicker? 

I hope this isn't insulting, I mean it tongue-in-cheek, as most Americans are hopelessly obsessed with all things British, and all we have are media representations. It's like if someone learned to speak English by just watching dcc MTT. "hi nice to meet you. Your power and projection need work, and you're a little soft in the middle. Y'all, I have to go shake my assets off to werk now." 

• Love 1

You're a loon @QuiteCalM! I moved from Norf Lundun to the country now.. urgh how I miss my beloved Ally Pally (Alexandra Palace). 

I'll always be a Londoner at heart.

Now I grow veggies in my little garden wearing yup wellies. Do you not have wellies in the US? What do you call them?

Do you have flipflops? Or are they called thongs like in Australia (so wrong to name a shoe after dental flossing butt underwear).. or Jandals like in NZ.

If a handbag is called a purse, and a purse is called a wallet.. what is a wallet called? I have a bunch of US friends and still do not understand this conundrum.

If you ever need a Britisher to send you stuff from the UK, just squeak!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BritFan said:

You're a loon @QuiteCalM! I moved from Norf Lundun to the country now.. urgh how I miss my beloved Ally Pally (Alexandra Palace). 

I'll always be a Londoner at heart.

Now I grow veggies in my little garden wearing yup wellies. Do you not have wellies in the US? What do you call them?

Do you have flipflops? Or are they called thongs like in Australia (so wrong to name a shoe after dental flossing butt underwear).. or Jandals like in NZ.

If a handbag is called a purse, and a purse is called a wallet.. what is a wallet called? I have a bunch of US friends and still do not understand this conundrum.

OMG I love you! 

So cute in your garden. Do you look out upon a rolling countryside? Does sir Anthony Hopkins terry by in a horse drawn carriage on occasion? 

Let's see, we have flip flops but they used to be called thongs in the 70s and 80s when thongs weren't underwear. We had sense enough to not wear underwear that went up our rears then. NZ is CRAZY. For so many reasons, but jandals is a good start. What's the j for? We have wellies but we call them rain boots. We used to call them rubbers, but then we started calling condoms rubbers, and grown-ups were tired of being snickered at by children when asking them to put their rubbers on. So rain boots they shall be. Hmmmm.... A wallet used to be called a pocketbook but that's just old fashioned now. Or southern. I'm not sure which. 

Also, a southern accent is the equivalent to the cockney accent. I like both though. And yes, there's basically a McDonald's on every corner. 

I don't look out on rolling countryside, but my house adjoins one at the back that has a big ol' garden that I pretend is mine!

If you drive for a couple of minutes you get nice countryside. Quite a lot of farms and some nice woods. Do you have the breakfast cereal Weetabix? They grow the wheat for it near me and have a big sign proclaiming it which always makes me laugh for some reason.

I live in Buckinghamshire.. not very exciting, but I like it. .. I kept my North London house though and rent it out.. so if I go stir crazy in the country I can always slink back off to the city again lol!

**I don't have a strong Lundun accent, not like Adele or Amy Winehouse.. my first job was shopgirl at the super posh Harrods so I had to refine my accent!

***I have been known to relapse though when swearing! ?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BritFan said:

I don't look out on rolling countryside, but my house adjoins one at the back that has a big ol' garden that I pretend is mine!

If you drive for a couple of minutes you get nice countryside. Quite a lot of farms and some nice woods. Do you have the breakfast cereal Weetabix? They grow the wheat for it near me and have a big sign proclaiming it which always makes me laugh for some reason.

I live in Buckinghamshire.. not very exciting, but I like it. .. I kept my North London house though and rent it out.. so if I go stir crazy in the country I can always slink back off to the city again lol!

**I don't have a strong Lundun accent, not like Adele or Amy Winehouse.. my first job was shopgirl at the super posh Harrods so I had to refine my accent!

***I have been known to relapse though when swearing! ?

HAAH!! My Minnesota accent comes out when I'm drunk or mad too.

I haven't heard of Weetabix but I just googled it and apparently we do have it here. I'll now have to look for it!

Also, I love "Buckinghamshire". That's like, three more syllables than you'd find here. We'd just shorten it to "Buck" LOL. Because, who has time for "kinghamshire"?! Unless it's a Native American name. They had some LONG names for things! Minneapolis, Minnesota, Winnipisauke, Minnehaha, Arapaho, etc....

Fun London fact: I heard that during the Olympics, there were a startling number of VD cases because everyone in Olympic village was doing it because they were all hot and young and sweaty and hard bodied and Olympic and virile. But I haven't given it much thought, obviously.

(edited)
7 hours ago, BritFan said:

Please send Hugh Grant.  I know I will send him back eventually but there's just something about him.

Edited by parrotfeathers
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, parrotfeathers said:

Please send Hugh Grant.  I know I will send him back eventually but there's just something about him.

I checked, Hugh Grant is on back order. You can get Daniel Craig though. Or there's free shipping on anthony Hopkins. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, heatherrrrz said:

Aren't wellies rain boots? If so, we have them lol

Yes, we do. But they're a brand name. They call all rain boots 'Wellies'. Kind of like how we call all facial tissue "Kleenex", whether that's the brand or not. No one says "Got a Scotts facial tissue on you?". We call them rain boots. They originate from England, which was why I asked.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

In the south some call rain boots galoshes except it's "galoshers."

haha oh I forgot about galoshes! I just remember my grandma saying to my grandpa "Father, don't forget your rubbers". And my mom and I would DIE internally every single time.

My sister got engaged this weekend and I was told my task is to look up wedding venues for her around here lol I better be the maid of honor if I'm going to do that

3 minutes ago, heatherrrrz said:

My sister got engaged this weekend and I was told my task is to look up wedding venues for her around here lol I better be the maid of honor if I'm going to do that

Congrats to your sister but yeah that sounds like a bride or Mom job though I know some people have their MOH do a lot.

Just now, twinkietwin94 said:

Congrats to your sister but yeah that sounds like a bride or Mom job though I know some people have their MOH do a lot.

My mom said it's because I have nothing to do all day at work that I would be a big help for her lol

Exhausted as I have been waking up early and with stomach in knots - partially driven by a stressful work situation (are they cutting my hours at work?  do I need to find a second job?  what will I do?) and partially by a stressful personal relationship.

Just dealing with a lot so grateful to have this board to take my minds off things.  Thanks ladies for being here and being DCC obsessed!  :)

• Love 4

So summers of with my kiddo were awesome back when he wasn't a middle schooler himself.  It's one thing to teach them every day but now to come home and downs summer with one ugh!  I love him but I'm wondering how long we can stand each other. TG we have more than tv and more than one computer.

• Love 1

@parrotfeathers your comment about sewing one's lady garden together reminded me of this story....

My instructor in school said that once, she was doing a brazilian wax on a woman, and sometimes you have to have them flip over, and she went to get wax for one cheek, then the other, but when she went in for the second one, she let go of a cheek.....and waxed a client's butt together!! BWAAAAHAA!! She is SO funny, with these huge blue eyes, and she's kind of a dingbat, in a totally endearing way, so it was just....*BLINK* *BLINK* *BLINK*....."Um, Ma'am?"

• Love 1

OMG finally spent some time on that Dairi Burger site, too funny, totally going to be spending waaaay more time there has anyone read the Adult SV stories? I found them at the library a few years ago and read the first one, couldn't bring myself to read the second where Lila is going to be a cast member of what is essentially Real Housewives of Sweet Valley. The first book was a train wreck. I actually blogged about it on my best friends book blog.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, spazette said:

Well everyone, after 23 hours of labor my little peanut finally arrived!! Sadly not on a DCC day but a good day nonetheless. 

@Oklahomama how are you coming along?

Oh my GOODNESS! Is he big? Hair? How are you feeling? Congratulations! Remember to take up any offer for help in the early weeks!

I failed my glucose test.. so I have to take the : hour one on Friday. ?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Oklahomama said:

Oh my GOODNESS! Is he big? Hair? How are you feeling? Congratulations! Remember to take up any offer for help in the early weeks!

I failed my glucose test.. so I have to take the : hour one on Friday. ?

A girl on my facebook just took the 3 hour one the other day, she wanted to die lol

11 hours ago, spazette said:

Well everyone, after 23 hours of labor my little peanut finally arrived!! Sadly not on a DCC day but a good day nonetheless. 

@Oklahomama how are you coming along?

Hey, congratulations Spazette!

• Love 1
13 hours ago, twinkietwin94 said:

OMG finally spent some time on that Dairi Burger site, too funny, totally going to be spending waaaay more time there has anyone read the Adult SV stories? I found them at the library a few years ago and read the first one, couldn't bring myself to read the second where Lila is going to be a cast member of what is essentially Real Housewives of Sweet Valley. The first book was a train wreck. I actually blogged about it on my best friends book blog.

I am slightly ashamed to say that I read them all.... 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, pizzaislife said:

I am slightly ashamed to say that I read them all.... 

You're a braver soul than I, I loved the SVH books as a kid and the SVU books so I was beyond excited when I found the Adult books on the shelf at the library. Sweet Valley Confidential just...IDK... just yeah I was so annoyed with so many of the characters.

• Love 1
(edited)

Congratulations @spazette, and welcome to this world, peanut!

Dumb question...if cursive isn't taught anymore, how does one sign one's name?

@Ante, kindly wait your turn, you may have Joseph Morgan as soon as I'm done with him :)

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Congratulations @spazette, and welcome to this world, peanut!

@Ante, kindly wait your turn, you may have Joseph Morgan as soon as I'm done with him :)

THAT'S a freaking GENIUS question!

Congrats on the fruit of thy loins @spazette!!

• Love 4

That was my question as well @ByTor like we all sign in cursive...how are they teaching them to sign their names now?

1 hour ago, heatherrrrz said:

That was my question as well @ByTor like we all sign in cursive...how are they teaching them to sign their names now?

I think signatures you still would.. my is in Greek though and looks like a spider stepped in ink and scuttled across the page!

Having said that my ex was a Sarf Lundun (south London!) boy and not the most educated and his signature looked like baby writing and not joined at all. Very easy to copy ?

You don't seem to get taught the lovely copperplate cursive I think of when I think of US cursive, (though that may be an antiquated view, I am going by a penfriend that I had when I was a kid and that was *ahem* 25 odd years ago.)

By the time I was about 8 my schoolmates and I were really just writing any old how. 

I'd love to learn fancy copperplate handwriting, my writing is unrecognisable from what it was a year or so ago, I have problems with my hand and now have to hold the pen in a very upright position.. maybe it is time stop writing like a toddler and learn to write a bit more purdy!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ByTor said:

I had to teach/reteach several of my 8th graders this year how to sign their names. Made me think it might be worth ordering a cursive alphabet banner for the front of my classroom. I have no time to teach any more than that but I wanted to be sure they knew how so I wrote names for several kids to copy. It makes me wonder though what's going to happen as it's taught in fewer places.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ByTor said:

Wait, what?! Okay, you can have him first but then I get to keep him. Please, please, please. 

To tide me over I guess I'll just have to suffer with Alexander Skarsgard. 

:::sigh:::

IMG_5666.GIF

• Love 2