Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Deep Water

As suspicions arise that "road agents" may have been the true perpetrators of the massacre, Swearengen takes a special interest in the health of its sole survivor, a young girl ministered to by the unlikely team of Doc Cochran and Calamity Jane. Meanwhile, Bullock and Star attempt to buy property from Swearengen, who suspects an alliance between Hickok and these hardware boys. At the Grand Central Hotel, Brom Garret rethinks his recent investment, while his wife Alma medicates her anxieties. And as a confrontation brews over the young survivor, Hickok asks Bullock to cover his back in a tension filled poker game.

Some standout bits in this Ep:

• Ian McShane's acting in that face off with Jane was a nice piece of business.  He is perfectly unconcerned that she will impede on his plans in any way.  The "you'll be plenty scared and a long time dyin" is a classic Al quote and one of the few that doesn't contain the word "c*********". 
  • drunk Charlie and Jane slurring at each other = gold 
  • Nick Offerman and his full frontal manly manhood!
  • Jane angrily bullying Charlie into keeping up with "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

Nick Offerman and his full frontal manly manhood!

Ah, yes. Megan Mulally is a lucky woman....

Timothy OffWithHisPants is certainly lovely to look at, but I'm digging on John Hawkes right now. And such lovely work by Brad Dourif as Doc Cochran.

• Love 2

Al:  I am stupidest when I try and be funny.

^This is me up one side and down the other.

Seeing Jane's fear and regret took her from cartoon to an actual person.

I'm still try to find Al's "tells".  Is he going to kill somebody, laugh, have somebody killed, smile, smack you etc? I have watched this show at least 3 times and even knowing what's going to happen; I still can't see any. 

Poor Timothy NotOffWithHisPants (as if it weren't hard enough to keep track of characters/actors on this show there are two (two!) Timothy O's). He got so so swindled. 

Is there a reason Seth hates Al so much? Did I miss something specific? 

Bullock doesn't necessarily hate Al, he's just super tightly wound and sensitive about having anyone question his honor or generally give him any kind of shit.

I'm pretty sure the old TWoP recaps/board used to call him "Clench" because he spends so much of his time being uptight about various matters.  

• Love 2

Seth doesn't like very many people.   :-)

We used to refer to him as "Clench", not only for his seemingly permanently clenched jaws, but for how tightly he must be clenching that stick up his ass!

• Love 2

Loved Jane in this one. And Al. And headache-lady's mild "you must be so disappointed" in response to being swindled out of $20,000 (~$400,000 today).

As a mildly face-blind person I totally did not recognize Nick Offerman, but in retrospect I like that scene so much more now.

Does Al really only keep a knife locked up in a safe, or was that just a ploy to get what's-his-face to come over to him?

• Love 1

Swearengen:  "Why would I do it to you?"

Jane: 

Disturbing-Facts-EMGN15.gif

Sometimes I see scenes like this on TV where someone needs help right now and it's too intense and the scene is so well done, before I know it I'm standing up in my living room moving closer to the television and I don't know why.  I feel like there will be more of these moments. 

• Love 1

Al was truly terrifying in this episode. Not just in the scene with poor Jane, but in every scene with Persimmon Phil. His eyes were just black and expressionless, like a reptile.

I totally did not recognise Nick Offerman! Damn, he makes a good drunk.

E.B. Farnum is such a weasel. Powerless and tongue-tied when he's among people who are smarter than him (Al, Wild Bill Hickok, Charlie Utter, almost everyone else), but a little Hitler when he's with someone like Wu, who can't talk back. Ugh.

• Love 2