Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Chapter 15

Amid turmoil in the home, Frank takes office while his home is expanded with all sorts of security such that he can stay there. Relations with China become entangled as Secretary of State Catherine Durant's team bungles a trade meeting more or less on purpose since she and Frank despise Raymond Tusk basically steering the president. As rivals negotiate to thwart her, Jackie maneuvers to strengthen her position for the House Majority Whip. Lucas Goodwin looks for a hacker on the deep web to hack into Frank's phone records to establish a connection between him and the deaths of Zoe Barnes and Peter Russo. He also contacts his former boss Tom who tries to convince him to stop his investigations. Frank struggles to keep his calm at a military ceremony when he hears from Claire that one of the generals raped her at Harvard.

Spoilers aho, but after the death of Zoe and last season with Peter Russo, I'm not sure that I care about *any* of the characters on this show. Am I alone? I'm really tempted not to continue watching. 

• Love 2

This show is dramaturgically weird.  Or something.  I have no idea what "dramaturgical" means.

Despite the humanizing of that Season 1 alma mater episode, Frank is now full-on villain, right?  But he's a villain in a show without a hero.  He's Lex Luthor without Superman.  And everyone else is either secondary villain (Claire; Alma Garrett; Major Dad) or foolish pawn (president; sundry legislators and journalists).  Doesn't the show need some sort of protagonist (or at least an antagonist to our F.U. antagonist)?

I'm not sure it does. I like watching just because I want to see what happens, kind of like a true crime story. Will all the threads wrap up? What kind of batshit crazy thing will these people do next? I don't really care about the characters I just want to see what happens next. Plus I really like the weird tone the show has. It's very matter of fact evil. Like you are watching people systematically lose any humanity or morality in the quest for power and it's not ever hysterical or screechy. It's the opposite of Scandal, which I also watch.

• Love 2

Frank is obviously a sociopath. He has no empathy for anyone around him. His wife is just as fucked up.

I think the writers are trying to portray Lucas as the protagonist aren't they? Frank doesn't know about him, so he can fly under the radar for the time being.

I don't get why no one even questions the way Zoe's body lurches forward into the train. Wouldn't there be a more thorough investigation by the police and/or transit authority? At one point she is at a 45 degree angle being launched forwards. No one jumps like that. And yet not even Lucas notices or even wants to study the video further. And he even has suspicions.  Doesn't make sense.

Yeah I wonder if they killed off Zoe' character more because Kate Mara wanted to leave for some other opportunity. Because it was a major hit to the show in general. It was playing out like a Underwood/Barnes duel that could have been stretched out for a while. It was developing into an interesting conflict for her between her ambition and lust for being close to power, and working on the story with her colleagues. She really carried the role well. I'm going to miss her character.

• Love 2

In the original House of Cards, the journalist character is killed off too - so I think it was always coming.  Waiting until the start of season 2 was clever though: anyone who had watched the original was fooled into thinking that they would maybe take that storyline a different way and then - Bam!  Right in front of the train.

I missed the character too - she was starting to get more interesting, and then she was gone.  I know that the moment had a lot of dramatic impact, but I think the loss was unfortunate.

I think this series is not so much straight satire as the original - definitely more of a drama.  As a result, when there's a weird lack of emotional repercussions, or well-developed characters are killed to illustrate moral decline, then it can feel a bit discordant.

• Love 3

Yeah I wonder if they killed off Zoe' character more because Kate Mara wanted to leave for some other opportunity. Because it was a major hit to the show in general. It was playing out like a Underwood/Barnes duel that could have been stretched out for a while. It was developing into an interesting conflict for her between her ambition and lust for being close to power, and working on the story with her colleagues. She really carried the role well. I'm going to miss her character.

No, it was not because of Mara's career. It was to show that Frank will throw everyone who gets in his way under the bus, or the train in this case.

Frank is obviously a sociopath. He has no empathy for anyone around him. His wife is just as fucked up.

I think the writers are trying to portray Lucas as the protagonist aren't they? Frank doesn't know about him, so he can fly under the radar for the time being.

I don't get why no one even questions the way Zoe's body lurches forward into the train. Wouldn't there be a more thorough investigation by the police and/or transit authority? At one point she is at a 45 degree angle being launched forwards. No one jumps like that. And yet not even Lucas notices or even wants to study the video further. And he even has suspicions.  Doesn't make sense.

I'm just now binging on the show.

But I had a tough time swallowing

a) No one on the platform saw that Zoe went to the secluded area of the platform to talk to someone

b) the video didn't show Frank going to the secluded area of the platform

c) Neither going to the secluded area of the platform nor Frank wearing super-suspicious clothing, the equivalent of Dexter's kill shirt, set off any alarm bells for Zoe

d) Neither the video nor people saw Frank departing from the secluded area of the platform post-crash