Type keyword(s) to search

The Anticipation Thread: Beep-Bop, Beep-Bop

(edited)

I was thinking Jayne Atkinson aka Karen Hayes as POTUS. But it looks like TPTB want a completely new cast. 

(Edited by marinw)

Edited by marinw
Grammer
4 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

I am in- check out my screen name. Yep, that Jack.

I can only remember 2 "Jackgirls" that are still alive...Connie Britton - actually "Frankgirl" - and Nina / Yelena. 

From the Media thread:

To thwart further attacks, Carter enlists REBECCA INGRAM (Miranda Otto, “Homeland”), who quarterbacked the raid that killed Bin-Khalid. She’s a brilliant and ambitious intelligence officer who has stepped down from her post as National Director of CTU to support her husband, SENATOR JOHN DONOVAN (Emmy and Golden Globe Award winner Jimmy Smits, “NYPD Blue,” “The West Wing”), in his campaign for President of the United States. Decades of sleepless nights and missed anniversaries landed her at the top. With the White House within their grasp, can she truly embrace a new role as First Lady?

I was getting excited about the description until I got to the casting of Jimmy Smits.  That made me unhappy.  I'm old enough to remember him in LA Law and NYPD Blue.  He was a flashy addition to LA Law, and I liked him there, and then he was ok in NYPD Blue.  The next time I remember paying attention was West Wing, and I hated him in that.  It seemed like he was really phoning that performance in.  (Of course, that was one of my favorite shows, and so perhaps he got swept up in my discomfort with the new guard.)  The problem is, I anticipate having a hangover from The West Wing to this reboot because his character sounds so similar.  I hope he digs deep.

I'm neutral about everything else.  Still would love to see Yvonne Strahovski reprise her role.  Wouldn't it be fun to have 2 kick ass CTU agents team up?  (Michelle never counted, for me.)

Loved "24", it was my favourite show on TV from start to finish.  But honestly, I'm not too thrilled about a "24" without Jack and Chloe and the other players.  And I fully agree about Jimmy Smits.  I never watched West Wing, but didn't he play a Presidential candidate on that show as well?  I'm not sure what about him sets me on edge... I think it's that I always find his characters to be fairly sanctimonious.  Here, he once again appears to be playing the "Golden Boy" who is on the verge of personal achievement.

I may give it a shot, but I have a feeling I'd be equally or more satisfied with just watching my "24" DVDs again.

I fully agree about Jimmy Smits.  I never watched West Wing, but didn't he play a Presidential candidate on that show as well?  I'm not sure what about him sets me on edge... I think it's that I always find his characters to be fairly sanctimonious.

"Sanctimonious" hits the nail on the head.  Yes, that's it.  All of those characters more or less had a lot of ego and conveyed the message (to me, at least), that whichever woman was connected to him was pretty damn lucky to be in that position.  Now that I'm thinking along this track, if I had to guess, his performances feel as though they're not very generous to the other actor.  Yes, on The West Wing, he played a Presidential candidate - and the most interesting character in that story to me, by far, was his wife.  However, there was very little exploration of her or of their dynamic.  (A lot of wasted potential, in other words.)  I would hate to see that happen again here, especially because he is supposed to be the side character, but I am expecting him to try to steal all the thunder.

I hope I'm wrong.

Didn't like Jimmy Smits on LA Law (I was young). Loved him as Bobby Simone on NYPD Blue. I think I would have hated whoever followed Jed Bartlet as POTUS, so that's not his fault. Hated Miranda Otto in Homeland, how dare she play Saul and Carrie? I'm in for this one PLUS the Designated Survivor with Kiefer.

On 5/24/2016 at 11:51 AM, marinw said:

I was thinking Jayne Atkinson aka Karen Hayes as POTUS. But it looks like TPTB want a completely new cast. 

(Edited by marinw)

Yeah, it looks we only get SoulPatch (Carlos Bernard) back. I can't remember what happened to Kim (Elisha Cuthbert) but if they bring her back, I am not watching. 

Im perfectly fine with a new cast. Time has passed and even had the original continued the cast would be drastically different. With that said, I would've filled CTU with at least one or two past character you could use for familiarity. Perhaps someone who worked there but didn't have a huge role and has been promoted. The only negative I have is that the one returning character we know is someone who was ruined and made so cartoonish. I'd rather no old characters to Tony of all people returning.