Type keyword(s) to search

Suggestions for watching Classic Who

• Start Topic

I love black and white anything, so hokey doesn't usually bother me, but I found it hard to watch the first episode too. I actually got more interested and gave it another chance after watching "An Adventure in Space and Time". That gave me a wonderful foundation in the era that Doctor Who was first shown, and I could mentally get past the hokey.

I have now given every Doctor a chance and found that I was drawn to Five, so I am trying to watch everything he has done and that I could get my hands on.

I think the trick is to find one of the old Doctors that you might like and then watch what's available. I loved Caves of Androzani if you want a recommendation.

• Love 2

An Unearthly Child is a great first episode. Everything else in that story kinds blew -- but that first episode was great. My recommendation is to watch episode one, then go straight on to The Daleks.

My first classic Who story was Genesis Of The Daleks --  a bit cliche, I know, but that's what it was.

Of all the classic Who DVDs I own, the majority of them are Five's.

Castrovalva, The Visitation, Earthshock, Time-Flight (unfortunately).

The commentaries are a real blast, especially with the actors for Five, Adric, Nyssa, and Tegan. It's like they are their characters. It's amazing.

• Love 1

A good break-in point is Spearhead From Space - new doctor (Three), the show converts to color, and there aren't any carryover companions. The things you don't know at this point aren't a huge barrier.

I started there, then backed up to The Invasion, then backed up again to the beginning (all the while, skipping ahead every now and then). I'm just about to finish up with Five. I also skipped the audio-only missing stories, so I'm pumped about backing up again soon to Web of Fear and Enemy of the World.

• Love 1

So what are old-Who fans' favorite arcs per Doctor?

In other words, if I were going to go on a weekend-long spree (not that I'd ever DO such a thing or have a plan in place that includes pub cheese and crackers, chocolate chip cookies, and hot chocolate), and wanted to do one good episode/storyline for each of the 1-7 Doctors, what would be the recommendations? I may or may not be doing this with my 14-year-old daughter (I mean, if I WERE to be doing this!), so looking for representative eps rather than offbeat ones.

For an actual story arc, I don't think you can go wrong from Four's final stories through Five's first. Full Circe - Castrovalva.

It's really two arcs, the E-Space trilogy (Full Circle, State Of Decay, Warrior's Gate) and the Four to Five transition (Keeper Of Traken, Logopolis, Castrovalva)

Also, to get hold of some of the DVDs, you might want to check with your public library about interlibrary loans.  It's worked well for me.  I do tend to hop around, and only watch them sporadically.  And, as it turns out, there's something to enjoy about every doctor.