Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Love Interrupted

And I am officially out, so sick of heroic Americans swooping in to save their citizens from backwoods natives. The introduction has always made me stabby but I stuck it out until half-way through this episode where it looked like it would repeat the facially pierced guy recreating historic stuff of a previous episode, once whatever her name is said ancient Mayan tradition heart removal blah blah I was done.

• Love 1

I was irritated by Clara "translating" for the Creole speaking guy when I could understand what he was saying perfectly fine. I think I'd prefer the show if the local PD was leading the investigations. Instead they get shunted off as props in every single country, and thank God the Americans came to show us how investigating is done!

• Love 2

I am still enjoying this show, although I find myself continually annoyed at these stupid American tourists doing stupid things in foreign countries.  And I agree about the fact that it'd be nice if the local police force took the lead instead of the Americans.  But then I figure that this is a TV show... if the tourists didn't do stupid things and get themselves into trouble, then there wouldn't be an episode.  And the stars of the show are the regular actors, so they are always going to be featured.  

Why does it seem whenever there are two victims at the same time on this show, at least one of them dies?  For once I'd like to see both get rescued.

I'm not sure what was up with the hotel lady.  Her protests and irritation were a bit odd to the point where I was sure she was in on it.

I was irritated by Clara "translating" for the Creole speaking guy when I could understand what he was saying perfectly fine. I think I'd prefer the show if the local PD was leading the investigations. Instead they get shunted off as props in every single country, and thank God the Americans came to show us how investigating is done!

I understood a few words here and there ("spectacle" for "sunglasses") but apart from that I couldn't understand what the guy was saying at all.

This was so fucking hilarious!

The first thing the tow-truck guy said when he was forced to stop by a guy all dressed in black leather and face hidden by a motorcycle helmet was:

"You be wanting to thief me car!"

So, apparently I speak Creole now? Because I understood that, no problem! And I thought, well, of course he'd think that, and then "I ride a motorbike and have many daughters, and that's my characterization" called for a translator, and I had to giggle.

I too am having problems with the "Won't someone save the Americans who are being preyed upon?" premise. The reason for this is the following: the motives. Even if the tourists aren't actually rich, they might be perceived as being rich by the locals - why not make the motive money? Because all this "He's being a Maya! No wait, he's being an Aztec! Because his wife got killed." I mean, huh? The fuck.

I also was really really annoyed by something Gary Sinise said: when it was clear he was keeping the women, Mr. Sensitivity said "So he's a polygamist?" I'm sorry, did you just suggest that he married these women? You know, we have a perfectly adequate word for what he is: Rapist. Murderer. Why are they dignifying his bullshit with the Mayan and Aztec trappings? Fuck's sake.

At least someone said Stockholm Syndrome at the end there.

I don't know - I enjoyed the Japan episode more than this one.

• Love 1