Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E23: Finale Part I: Top Three Perform

• Start Topic

If Philip is going to be there, he was not mentioned in the very long list of past winners and performers here -- http://www.americani...can-idol-finale. Maybe they just added him in?  I hope he is there.

Yes, he was one of the latter ones to agree to attend. Here is an article announcing it. And here  is a picture just released of him backstage with Cook, Kris, Lee and Nick.

I didn't know too much about Keith before he started on this show, though I knew he was a country singer married to Nicole Kidman.

He sang with Kris at the finale in S8 and he was a very generous dueter (which one cannot say for all guest performers) which left a good impression on me.

I'm kind of stunned that Scott didn't have Trent and La'Porsha record their reprises. I think a lot of people would have purchased those. Everywhere I've looked, the reprises were deemed the best round and those performances were judged the best of the night. It helps that they had a bit more time to work on them and that they already knew they were well received. I thought "Chandelier" was the performance of the night. If Trent had won the coin toss and gone last, I think he might have locked up victory. It's going to be close.

• Love 1
MacKenzie's song now mysteriously missing from the iTunes chart. Either a glitch, or the producers didn't like that he was beating the actual finalists.

That wouldn’t surprise me. They did the same thing to Angie Miller’s “You Set Me Free” (which would have been her self-written winner’s song) at the end of season 12. She said the sales were strong though.

I don’t think this panel is harmonious. At least the first season they were together, Keith and JLO were constantly throwing digs at Harry as if they didn’t like him at all. Which really surprised me because Keith is one of the easiest-going judges they've ever had.

(edited)

Ryan actually ended this episode (final performances) with "Seacrest... OUT!"  I started watching in S5 and it was the first time I had ever actually heard him say it.

After I posted about the "Seacrest...OUT!" I was forwarding through my DVR recording of last night's show, then got to the very end and noticed he said it!  Lol.  I was hoping it would make one final appearance.   Ryan was endlessly goofed on and teased when he used to say it at the end of every show.  He finally just stopped saying it.  This past January he appeared on Andy Cohen's Watch What Happens Live show, and I think either Andy or one of the callers to the show/social media fans asked if Ryan was going to say it one more time before the series ends.  He seemed reluctant.  Andy said something along the lines of, "Oh, you have to say it."  Ryan said he would say it one more time, but I wasn't holding out hope.  I'm glad he did!

Yes, he was one of the latter ones to agree to attend. Here is an article announcing it. And here  is a picture just released of him backstage with Cook, Kris, Lee and Nick.

He sang with Kris at the finale in S8 and he was a very generous dueter (which one cannot say for all guest performers) which left a good impression on me.

I'm kind of stunned that Scott didn't have Trent and La'Porsha record their reprises. I think a lot of people would have purchased those. Everywhere I've looked, the reprises were deemed the best round and those performances were judged the best of the night. It helps that they had a bit more time to work on them and that they already knew they were well received. I thought "Chandelier" was the performance of the night. If Trent had won the coin toss and gone last, I think he might have locked up victory. It's going to be close.

Keith seems to be a good guy who would want to let whoever he is singing with have the spotlight.  He is cute with Nicole too, especially on the red carpet for award shows.  He wants her to shine and take center stage, and will stand back to let her show off her gowns as he gazes at her admiringly and adoringly.  I'd only known of Keith for years, and I thought I vaguely remembered him appearing on at least one episode of Idol a long time ago (as a guest), but I just didn't know anything about him as a person, or what his personality was like, or that he had been an addict, etc.  All I knew about him was that he was a singer married to Nicole.  I didn't even realize that he had dated (supermodel) Niki Taylor until just recently.  So I was pleasantly surprised that he turned out to be a likable, good-natured guy on the judging panel, with a decent knowledge of music and a pleasing personality and attitude.   He seems to be really smitten with Nicole, too, which makes him even cuter.

Likewise, I remember way back when Harry and his wife Jill first got together -- he did the same sort of thing.  He gushed about her whenever he had a platform, gazed at her adoringly, and he talked about how she was the prettiest girl he had ever seen.  He was just mesmerized when first locking eyes with her.  That's sweet.

That wouldn’t surprise me. They did the same thing to Angie Miller’s “You Set Me Free” (which would have been her self-written winner’s song) at the end of season 12. She said the sales were strong though.

I don’t think this panel is harmonious. At least the first season they were together, Keith and JLO were constantly throwing digs at Harry as if they didn’t like him at all. Which really surprised me because Keith is one of the easiest-going judges they've ever had.

In my opinion there is a difference between 2 years ago, when these particular judges first got together, and now -- both as far as their actual judging of the singers and how they interact with each other.  At that point in 2014 they were getting used to each other, and you're right -- it did seem like there was some tension or awkwardness at first.  There were some jabs being thrown around, and I didn't know if they liked each other.   I don't pick up on that same vibe or see that same dynamic now, though.  I don't know if the 3 of them would be hanging out and socializing off of the show if they didn't have to, but I don't get the sense that they dislike each other.   I think they have settled in and realized what they can and can't get away with saying to each other.  They're more comfortable now -- of course, right when the series is ending (for at least a couple of years) and they don't have to work together after tonight!

If Idol comes back in some new format down the road, they're going to have to start all over again in trying to find a decent judging panel, a decent host and, of course, decent talent.  Back to the drawing board.  If The Voice is still on the air at that point, I wonder if it would even be worth it for Idol to make a comeback.

Edited by Sherry67

Mackenzie's song was pulled due to a technical issue: it was uploaded without artwork.  !MrsHB downloaded it this morning and the "cover art" was a black box.  It's back now and still very high on the iTunes chart (#4 I think).

They were "magnanimous enough" to allow Angie to release her song at the end of season 12, but it wasn't allowed to chart. Not quite as obnoxious mean as what they did to Jax last season, when they kicked her off the stage before opening the curtain so the final two could see the big audience, but still a dick move.  At least TPTB apparently learned their lesson about treating the contestants like so much beetle dung on camera.

Does anyone happen to know if there is a livestream of Idol somewhere in cyberspace?  I can watch anything on AMC's website live, on east coast time, just by signing in with my cable provider info.  But I cant seem to find or see anything similar for Fox and American Idol.  Am I missing something somewhere?

(edited)

I'm watching some live red carpet arrival footage on Facebook right now.  It looks like chaos.  Harry and his wife have beautiful daughters!

Sanjaya and Bo Bice cut their hair.

Edited by Sherry67