Type keyword(s) to search

Mapplethorpe: Look At The Pictures

• Start Topic

This documentary profiles iconic and controversial photographer Robert Mapplethorpe via interviews with his family and lovers, examinations of his work and rediscovered footage of the late artist.

Premieres Monday, April 4, at 9 PM ET.

I'm fine looking at whatever penises and anuses (and vaginas, while we're down there) anyone wants to exhibit.  Hellooooo, human body.

But there's that one Mapplethorpe piece. . .

I can separate the art from the artist. I like some of his pictures but don't like others. What I took away from this documentary was that I never would have wanted to have anything to do with him. "It's all about Robert" says it all.

What a selfish pushy person he was. I really felt sorry for his brother who ended up taking care of him through an awful illness with no appreciation of his own talent or sacrifice.

What a selfish pushy person he was.

Right!? I knew about RM, but I didn't know *that* much about his personality until I watched this documentary. I read Patti Smith's book and had that version of Robert in mind. The up-and-coming artist hustling to make a name for himself.

He was honest about his dealings with Sam Wagstaff. If it weren't for the money, he wouldn't have been with him, but that was harsh to hear. I'm sure Sam knew the deal, but still.

I did feel bad for Edward. It's hard enough being the brother of a well-known photographer, but dealing with Robert's own jealousy and pettiness was shitty, too.

I'm surprised that Patti Smith wasn't interviewed for this. I guess they wanted to focus more on Robert's work, but she was such a huge part of his life that it was weird not seeing her.