Type keyword(s) to search

Neighbours (AU) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 15/08/2017 at 11:40 PM, Olivia Y said:

There was no indication that it was drug related at all, it was pretty clear that Karl just meant fruit that he's wanted to grow.

Yeah, okay, cool, that makes sense. I mean, that's what I thought at first too, but then I always just assume that I'm being too naive to pick up on subtle drug references. I thought there was a bit of an emphasis on the word "seeds" when he said it, so later it occurred to me that maybe I was missing something. :P

So no one is worried about Mishti hooking up with 'randoms', total strangers and going somewhere private with them?  Not a good message to send - show, imo.

And so unfair of Mishti to ask Shane to keep secrets from Dipi.

Lol Gary I said you and Terese didn't fit together right from the start.  And why did he not answer her calls, so stupid, total plot contrivance.

Edited by Nozycat

True, though Paul is not really a good guy and Gary is, so I see where she is coming from.  Two men and her brother all fighting over her with cancer - talk about being the center of attention!  

Yes, Shane should not be asked to do that and he already did it once.  And how come Mishti has to confidence in Dipi as a confidant, rather than her BIL?  They seem to be pretty close. 

Plus they have Yashvi pretending to be sleeping with Ben, another not so good message. 

I still get zero chemistry between Gary and Terese, even though they've been together for ages, I just don't buy that they're in love.

Off-topic-ish: I've been watching the 2008 episodes on Youtube, and Paul's with Rebecca and she's the love of his life and he doesn't want anyone else. Lol, it's funny to keep count of how any 'love of my life' women he's been with. 

(Speaking of which, I really hated the way that relationship unraveled, there was so much emphasis on how abusive Rebecca's ex was and how Paul made her feel safe and her son really looked up to him...and then it went so horribly wrong). 

Yashvi, Yashvi, Yashvi, not very smart that girl.

Agreed on no chemistry between Gary and Terese.  Yeah and why so much centred around Terese anyway, I don't find her a very interesting character.

I was really sad when Paul and Rebecca imploded, they were good together.

Yeah, I know it's been more than five years since Rebecca was around, but whenever Paul talks about how he's never loved anyone like he loves Terese, it just really feels like the writers are making him say something totally out of character. I would find it much more plausible if he acknowledged that he loved Rebecca just like he loves Terese, but that he wrecked things and now knows that he would never make mistakes like that again because it hurt too much, or something like that. I mean, I wouldn't really believe that he's not going to wreck things, because, c'mon, it's Paul, but I would at least believe that Paul meant it. Whereas now I feel like Stefan Dennis probably says these silly lines to Terese with Rebecca still in the back of his mind. (I'm not sure what his relationships with his other wives were like at their peak, but that was all pre-brain-tumour Paul, so it's probably not helpful to compare the Rebecca or Terese relationships with those.)

• Love 1

I think Rebecca was the closest to a 'healthy' relationship he's had (at least since I'd started watching, I don't know what he was like in the 80s but presumably not so great since he has pretty much no contact with the mothers of his numerous children). She could hold her own against him and he didn't have to break up anyone else's marriage to be with her. The only other person I can think of that fits that criteria was Izzy, but that relationship was completely dysfunctional (though it was sure entertaining).

No idea where the Yashvi/Ben storyline is meant to be going, is she meant to be falling for him? Is Xanthe regretting breaking up? Are they going to bring Willow back at some point? I still think he had the best chemistry with Piper to be honest. 

Paul kind of holds a grudge when he himself has done bad things.  I'm rooting for Nick to be OK because Amy has had too much bad luck with men.  

Steph has had cancer too?  Everyone gets a turn.  And mental illness.  Tough life even for a soap character.   Another reason not to want Nick to turn out bad.  Otherwise Paul will be right which is not rootworthy.  

Maybe the pool playing guy going to turn out to be Tyler's Dad.  Oh I was right.   Hahahaha. 

Yeah she sure fell hard and into bed real quick.

Gary wasn't suss when the initial 'job interview' took place in a driveway?

Elly is getting on my nerves.  She needs to talk to Mark instead of everyone else and stop being so needy.

9 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Yeah she sure fell hard and into bed real quick.

Gary wasn't suss when the initial 'job interview' took place in a driveway?

Elly is getting on my nerves.  She needs to talk to Mark instead of everyone else and stop being so needy.

I don't understand why they make Elly's and Mark's relationship look like something that came about due to a Tinder hookup or something. They act so shy around each other and don't seem to trust each other enough to talk about what they're thinking or feeling, and they both seem closer with all of their other friends. And as Elly said, Mark never seems to want to prioritise hanging out with her. But it makes no sense because they got together after being friends for a while. Surely a friendship only turns into a romantic relationship when you realise that you get on really well and love talking to and hanging out with each other.

And yeah, Garry's interview location seemed totally ridiculous until I realised that the point was going to be that the whole thing is dodgy. It doesn't seem like they're going down the usual route of Garry being tempted by dodgyness, which is good, because that would just be so dumb of him, especially since he's already massively suss.

• Love 1

Yeah Elly and Mark together just seem weird.  They keep matching him up with women who don't really fit for me since Kate.

Otoh I really like David and Aaron together, Tyler and Piper too.

Gary looks like he's well clued in that Paul is trying to set him up.

What on earth is Courtney doing, lol?  Karl and Shane are such little boys at times, how do they think that is ok even if what Courtney is doing is innocent?  They are spending a heap of money and keeping secrets from their wives.

So Hamish is really skeevy.

Edited by Nozycat

Did they even do a DNA test to see if Hamish is really Tyler's father?

Wow Terese is so not ready to get married and so rude to Gary, her job is always so much more important.

Why was Courtney only doing that therapy with men?  And the men were so nudge, nudge, wink, wink about it - no wonder the others thought what they thought.

Did they really think we wouldn't know that the new guy was Toadie's therapist just because they showed him from the back at first? That was so obvious, even already when Sonja saw him in the nursery.  And why is Sonja not having her own therapy, she has been just as dysfunctional as Toadie, if not more so, but is blaming it all on him being a rescuer when she is at least just as much one.

Edited by Nozycat
21 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Did they even do a DNA test to see if Hamish is really Tyler's father?

Did they even run a background check or something to make sure he is who he says he is? (Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like it's been confirmed by their mother). 

21 hours ago, Nozycat said:

Why was Courtney only doing that therapy with men?  And the men were so nudge, nudge, wink, wink about it - no wonder the others thought what they thought.

Ugh, I'd say this was just bad writing, like they wanted a setup that made it sound like she was doing something obscene, but it was set up in a 'comical' way that no adultery storyline would be, so the audience already know that's not what it was. It's kind of like the Karl and the durian thing, except with that one the payoff actually worked, and they didn't have to twist characterisations to make it fit. Here it just feels contrived, I don't know about the other men but Karl's been in much more vulnerable situations in front of Susan than just crying and I doubt he'd not be aware of how it's coming across (especially with his history) so him keeping it a secret is just...so OOC. I know they made up an excuse that the therapy was not fully approved, but he's divulged much more serious secrets to Susan before as well, so that doesn't fly with with me at all either.

2 hours ago, Olivia Y said:

Did they even run a background check or something to make sure he is who he says he is? (Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't seem like it's been confirmed by their mother). 

Ugh, I'd say this was just bad writing, like they wanted a setup that made it sound like she was doing something obscene, but it was set up in a 'comical' way that no adultery storyline would be, so the audience already know that's not what it was. It's kind of like the Karl and the durian thing, except with that one the payoff actually worked, and they didn't have to twist characterisations to make it fit. Here it just feels contrived, I don't know about the other men but Karl's been in much more vulnerable situations in front of Susan than just crying and I doubt he'd not be aware of how it's coming across (especially with his history) so him keeping it a secret is just...so OOC. I know they made up an excuse that the therapy was not fully approved, but he's divulged much more serious secrets to Susan before as well, so that doesn't fly with with me at all either.

Yeah they are just taking Hamish at his word as far as I can see.

Bad writing indeed about the whole Courtney thing.  As it was about Amy not following up on Paul admitting he set Nick up just because he got into more trouble in jail.  At least he wouldn't be doing more time for something he didn't do.

In that scene a few weeks ago with Dee/Andrea sitting down talking to someone, the guy she was talking to looked a bit like the guy who gave Yashvi that money this week. Does anyone know if it was the same actor? I suppose even if it was, it doesn't necessarily mean he was supposed to be playing the same character, because they probably wouldn't expect people to have taken much notice of their faces (although they don't normally seem to reuse actors for different roles unless there are few years in between their appearances).

Is the Dee/Andrea thing going to get brought up again? Maybe they're setting it up to be the cliffhanger ending this year?

Does Terese even still have cancer? It never gets mentioned again even though she's apparently stopped treatment? And they're planning to do the honeymoon in a camper van? None of this is good healthcare practice. Sheesh. Unless she's cured already, in which case they definitely should release NIck since he's obviously capable of performing miracles. 

The Hamish storyline is dull, wish they'd just wrap it. Also, Yashiv is a moron and has no chemistry with Ben. 

Oh yeah, what happened to Dee/Andrea?  Good pick up that that might have been the same guy.  He was pretty dodgy the way he left the money either way.

So they just mentioned Terese's cancer again.  Terese in a camper van - as if.  They are so mismatched.  And I am sick of her being so miserable all the time.  So unfair to Gary.  He is a good guy.

Yeah Hamish can move on already.  And can't they give Sheila a good guy for a change?

Heh yes Yashvi is a moron but she makes me laugh now whereas at first I just found her irritating.

I'm confused about the business plan of this wellness centre. They're relying on donations to open, but then how do they plan on keeping it sustainable? Are they charging patients for all those swanky services/programmes? Is it meant to be a non-profit?

Terese is a complete idiot. Of course, why tell your finance about your cheating ways in private before the wedding when you can scream it at him during the wedding itself? 

Yeah I don't understand the wellness centre either but then they have never made a lot of sense with their businesses.

Ugh I am so sick of Terese and her miserable face and what she did to Gary was inexcusable.  And why so much focus on her?  I don't think she is a very interesting character.  I would rather see Sheila get more of a story line.

Were Paul's family actually happy when they thought Paul had gotten together with Terese?  How thoughtless.

I had to chuckle at Xanthe walking like Sheila the other day in her heels, wonder if she is doing that on purpose.

Edited by Nozycat

Actually the financial states of people on that street are pretty puzzling altogether. They're either so rich they can purchase businesses on a whim or so poor they're bordering on homelessness (also, how many of them own the houses and how many are renting? It doesn't seem realistic some of them can afford to rent in an area like that given how unsteady their incomes are). They also seem to change careers on a whim (how many jobs has Aaron had?)

Sonya being upset over the counsellor position was ridiculous - Shane didn't 'cost him his job' given it was never Sam's job to begin with. Hopefully this means Jack will actually have something to do instead of...whatever it is he's doing at the moment. 

Heh yes, these soaps are not very concerned with being realistic re jobs, businesses dealings and money.

Yeah Sonya is doing my head in the way she keeps talking  about Toadie's issues as if she had none herself and of which she has heaps as just evidenced in the way she reacted re the job Sam went for.

Toadie should at least check on Sonya rather than make assumptions.  Glad they nipped that one in the bud with Susan calling him.

LOL about the jobs/businesses, so true.  Moneybags has endless funds is all that is certain.   

Trophy fiancee. lol and calling him Paulie.  

Lol after watching this show for so long (more years than I'd care to admit) I was expecting Sonya to wake up with amnesia. Then when she got the all clear and was going on with Toadie about how she wants to spend the rest of her life with him, I was expecting her to just suddenly drop dead (seriously how many other characters have died that way?). But now that they seem to be back together I guess this is when DeeAndrea will show up again?

Man, Terese really has the worst luck with men. Brad, Paul, that former boss who tried to force himself on her, and now Gary appears to be just as vindictive. 

I was expecting Toadie to go away without knowing about Sonia but they surprised me by him finding out so quickly and then them getting back together.

I don't blame Gary at all for being vindictive for a moment after the way Terese treated him.

Hamish is just getting worse and worse.  Why didn't Mark show the picture to those who would have said she was Hamish's EA as well as a nurse?

Sheila is really going to feel bad.  And Tyler says he is staying with Piper, so what is Hamish going to do, kidnap him?  

Yes, Mark is going to be "soap opera cop dumb" for plot purposes.  

Poor Sheila.  Hamish is awful.

Karl cracks me up but I would find him impossible in real life.

Nice to see Sonia and Toadie happy again.

So Elly's friend was only there for one night and she leaves her there on her own?  Total plot contrivance.

Yeah Tyler is totally snowed by Hamish.

So any ideas where Amy got the money from?  

Boo on Steph running to Paul instead of raising it with Amy.

How come people who don't live there can just get into the penthouse all the time?

Paige is like a daughter to Therese now which is ironic considering Paige's existence led to Therese losing her husband.  Gotta love soap character for never hanging on to resentments from the past and forgetting anyone who is out of town completely.

8 hours ago, Kim0820 said:

Gotta love soap character for never hanging on to resentments from the past and forgetting anyone who is out of town completely.

HAHAHA so true! And how quickly they get over the 'love of their life' (case in point: Paige/Jack). 

Totally off-topic but I just found out that Rob Mills (Finn) was in Jesus Christ Superstar at the Arts Centre Melbourne not that long ago? For some reason this makes me want to laugh uncontrollably. 

He indeed re Paige and Terese.

Mark is being so inconsiderate towards Jack the way he keeps going on about Gabe and having fun with him.

I recently saw Rob Mills in Puttin' on the Ritz and he was fantastic.

I seem to recall that Courtenay also (very briefly!) dated Josh at one point...how has that never come up???

Ugh, Mark's wanted a baby for so long and now he finally has one (sort of), I won't be surprised if he already considers Gabe as 'his'. 

12 hours ago, Nozycat said:

I recently saw Rob Mills in Puttin' on the Ritz and he was fantastic.

Really? I figured he's just stunt casting, but good to know he's actually a good stage performer. Still can't imagine him as Jesus though. 

On 10/26/2017 at 5:20 PM, Olivia Y said:

HAHAHA so true! And how quickly they get over the 'love of their life' (case in point: Paige/Jack). 

Totally off-topic but I just found out that Rob Mills (Finn) was in Jesus Christ Superstar at the Arts Centre Melbourne not that long ago? For some reason this makes me want to laugh uncontrollably. 

He's Jesus?  Too funny!  

On 10/27/2017 at 7:20 AM, Olivia Y said:

I seem to recall that Courtenay also (very briefly!) dated Josh at one point...how has that never come up???

Ugh, Mark's wanted a baby for so long and now he finally has one (sort of), I won't be surprised if he already considers Gabe as 'his'. 

Really? I figured he's just stunt casting, but good to know he's actually a good stage performer. Still can't imagine him as Jesus though. 

It is ironic that Paige was too young and not ready to have kids, and now Paige is the one with the baby and Mark, the older and more stable, does not.  Way too bad he lost Kate - might have a family by now.  

Yeah Rob Mills was advertised as a guest artist and I wasn't expecting much but he way exceeded my expectations and I thought he was really, really good and a very polished stage performer.

Yes Mark was best matched with Kate, they would have made a nice family.  I don't think they have matched him well since then although I think that since Paige has matured and had a baby she is a better match for him.

Much as I think Yashiv is a moron, anyone find it hypocritical of Susan to go all hardline on her prank considering how her grandson literally burnt the school down?

Lol the webisodes are funnier than I was expecting, great that they can poke fun of themselves like that. Love the little references to past characters (like Amy asking if Elle and Riley were having a baby...did they even end up together in the canon?). 

12 hours ago, Gulftastic said:

I didn't want to spoil the lovely surprise for anyone watching.

No I meant why did you make that statement?  Put your answer in spoiler tags again if you like.

Just watched the second ep, brilliant.

I think Piper is much better than having her pair up with Tyler, who's a pretty block of wood. The actress is excellent, and it would have been a good time to introduce the first long term lesbian character into Neighbours. I still wish they'd kept Steph with Josie's Mum instead of putting her with dull Jack.

Haha they mentioned Jesus Christ Superstar on last night's episode! I don't exactly like Dipi but she's namechecked my two favourite musicals so I'm conflicted lol.

(Not sure how I feel about them bringing up religion as a storyline again though.)

It is nice that in Erinsborough Hospital, they have someone to do your nails for you.  After what Piper had been through, surely her nail polish could not look that good without an opportunity to have them done in the hospital.  Very lovely perfect looking pale pink nail polish when she touched Tyler's face. 

If you are expelled from school, is there something you can do to continue your education?  Erinsborough High kicks you out, what do you do?  Will another school take you - is there some type of reform school?  Or as joked about, "military school."   We used to tease kids about being sent to military school if they were misbehaving.  

I had not known Shane was in jail - looks like he can counsel his daughter well.  

Heh @ Piper's nails.  Seems to me like they left out showing a lot of what actually happened to her.

Yes you can go to another school.  Shane and Dipi were checking some out before Susan said Yashvi could stay.  Will that girl ever learn?

I love Kirsha, my favourite member of that family.