Type keyword(s) to search

Parks and Rec Polls!

I thought it might be fun to try to answer a bunch of P&R-related questions...feel free to leave out the ones you don't feel like answering and to add new questions of your own when you respond!

1) If you could pick just 3-5 favorite major characters, they would be... 

2) If you could pick just 3-5 minor characters, they would be... 

3) Your three or so favorite romantic relationships? 

4) Your three or so favorite platonic relationships? 

5) Your least favorite characters/relationships? 

6) Your 2-3 favorite seasons? 

7) Your least favorite season(s)? 

8) If you could keep just 10-15 episodes to watch for the rest of your life, they would be... 

9) The five or so episodes you like least are... 

10) Your favorite of Tom's many business ventures? 

11) Your favorite of Andy's different jobs? 

12) Five moments/scenes when you found April unexpectedly sweet 

13) If you lived and worked in Pawnee, the job you'd most want is ... 

14) If you could date any of the main characters in real life, you'd pick... (and we can pretend age is not an issue here!) 

15) Parks and Rec decides to do something super experimental. Would you rather see a murder mystery, musical or sci-fi-ish 'alternative universe' episode? 

I'll be back with my responses and can't wait to see other people's! 

I love your answers, nosleepforme!!!

Leslie, Ben, Andy, Chris 

I've grown to enjoy and appreciate April to the point where she's sometimes a favorite. She is also still sometimes a LEAST favorite for me :) 

If you could pick just 3-5 minor characters, they would be...

In no order: Orin, Jean Ralphio, Mona Lisa, Jenn Barkley, Marcia and Marshall Langman (the woman who's with the Society for Family Stability Foundation with the clearly gay husband) I'm also that one person who really liked Craig!

Leslie/Ben and April/Andy are both easily among my favorite romantic relationships ever depicted on TV, so clearly they make the cut here :) I also have a weird soft spot for the short lived Leslie/Dave and for Jerry/Gail! 

I'm kind of neutral on Ron/Diane, Tom/anyone and Chris/anyone. 

]4) Your least favorite characters/relationships?

I dislike Ann/Andy and Ann/Mark (I'm yawning just thinking about it!)  

5) Your 2-3 favorite seasons?

S5 is my special favorite. My ranking of the rest of the seasons changes with ridiculous frequency :) I like S6 and S7 a lot more than I used to and more than most seem to. For some reason I love S3 LESS than most seem to :) 

Rent-a-Swag was cool and in line with Tom's personality.

Cosign! 

I adore him as a kids' party performer in S6. I would have really, really loved to see him as a cop, though, and think that could have given us some really fun storylines. And I know he wasn't actually paid to be Burt Macklin so it doesn't technically count here, but I loved him and his sunglasses as our favorite fictitious FBI agent :)

I'd imagine the town's therapists do quite well for themselves :) Seriously, I would probably leap at the chance to write for the local paper! 

14) If you could date any of the main characters in real life, you'd pick... (and we can pretend age is not an issue here!)

Ben! And also Andy. Really some idyllic combination of Ben and Andy, with Ben's brains, wit, logic, work ethic, and adorable geekiness and Andy's sweetness, affection, exuberance and sense of fun and both of their levels of loyalty and deep capacity for love. This person must totally exist in real life, right?! ;) 

15) Parks and Rec decides to do something super experimental. Would you rather see a murder mystery, musical or sci-fi-ish 'alternative universe' episode?

I'm a lifelong murder mystery junkie, so that would be dream TV for me. But nosleepforme does raise a very valid point:

because Leslie would solve that in no time (it would be Greg Pikitis)

Ha! 

1) If you could pick just 3-5 favorite major characters, they would be... Leslie, Ben, and Andy

2) If you could pick just 3-5 minor characters, they would be... Jean-Ralphio Saperstein, Perd Hapley, Orrin

3) Your three or so favorite romantic relationships? Leslie and Ben, April and Andy, Tom and Lucy

4) Your three or so favorite platonic relationships? Leslie and Ann, Tom and Donna, Ben and Chris

5) Your least favorite characters/relationships? Councilman Jam, Marsha Langman

6) Your 2-3 favorite seasons? Seasons 2 and 3

7) Your least favorite season(s)? 6

8) If you could keep just 10-15 episodes to watch for the rest of your life, they would be... The Fight, Road Trip, Hunting Trip, Practice Date, Ron and Tammy, Jerry's Painting, Flu Season, Ron and Tammys, Pawnee Rangers, Halloween Surprise, The Trial of Leslie Knope, The Cones of Dunshire, London

14) If you could date any of the main characters in real life, you'd pick... (and we can pretend age is not an issue here!) Ben Wyatt, no question.

15) Parks and Rec decides to do something super experimental. Would you rather see a murder mystery, musical or sci-fi-ish 'alternative universe' episode? Murder mystery. Ron and Leslie would be awesome at solving the case, Bert Macklin would be there, and Donna would live tweet the whole thing. :)

Edited by April Bloodgate
  • Love 1
(edited)
Murder mystery. Ron and Leslie would be awesome at solving the case, Bert Macklin would be there, and Donna would live tweet the whole thing. :)

I just want so, so much to see this on my screen! Who would we pick as the murder victim?! :) 

4) Your three or so favorite platonic relationships? Leslie and Ann, Tom and Donna, Ben and Chris

How did I forget to answer this question?! I'd go with Ron and Leslie, Ben and Chris, Leslie and Ann (more because I love seeing such a strong, sweetly supportive friendship on TV than because I find Ann an interesting character in her own right.) And I always wanted to see more of Ben/Andy.  

Seasons 2

I change my mind about S2 more than any other---so if there were a question about which season which we're most inconsistent about, this would be my pick by a landslide :) Sometimes it just doesn't feel like Parks to me: Andy's still pining over Ann (and a bit of a jerk) in the early part of the season, I dislike Mark, Mark/Ann might be the very most boring relationship I've ever seen on TV, there's still sometimes a clunky, don't-quite-know-what-we-want-to-be-yet feel.

But then I'll rewatch and absolutely LOVE S2: April is arguably at her most likable (she smiles more, grows a bit, and actually WANTS something---a relationship with Andy---rather than just scowling and insulting her way through life for no reason and getting tons of things she didn't even want handed to her magically), Andy/April are insanely adorable, there was something oddly sweet and amusing about Leslie/Dave (I absolutely love Leslie x Ben and want what they have, but they're almost TOO schmoopy and idyllic at times and don't allow for the comedy that Dave/Leslie night have), Ron/Leslie have some really great scenes this season, and S2 features a few of my favorite Jean Ralphio moments. (J-R is often the funniest aspect of the show for me!)  Some of the humor is a little sharper and more to my taste, and I sometimes prefer the small scale, more subtle but poignant wins of earlier seasons as opposed to the over-the-top 'everyone has the very best life ever in every way!' feel of later seasons.  

I really, really love Ben---I'll fight you for the right to date him, April Bloodgate!---but I also fully get the argument that his presence ended up weakening the dynamic between Leslie/Ron and helping to make the show more of a sugary sweet rom com than a political comedy. 

Here's another one: Which season finale was your favorite? 

Edited by amensisterfriend

I change my mind about S2 more than any other---so if there were a question about which season which we're most inconsistent about, this would be my pick by a landslide :) Sometimes it just doesn't feel like Parks to me: Andy's still pining over Ann (and a bit of a jerk) in the early part of the season, I dislike Mark, Mark/Ann might be the very most boring relationship I've ever seen on TV, there's still sometimes a clunky, don't-quite-know-what-we-want-to-be-yet feel.

But then I'll rewatch and absolutely LOVE S2: April is arguably at her most likable (she smiles more, grows a bit, and actually WANTS something---a relationship with Andy---rather than just scowling and insulting her way through life for no reason and getting tons of things she didn't even want handed to her magically), Andy/April are insanely adorable, there was something oddly sweet and amusing about Leslie/Dave (I absolutely love Leslie x Ben and want what they have, but they're almost TOO schmoopy and idyllic at times and don't allow for the comedy that Dave/Leslie night have), Ron/Leslie have some really great scenes this season, and S2 features a few of my favorite Jean Ralphio moments. (J-R is often the funniest aspect of the show for me!)  Some of the humor is a little sharper and more to my taste, and I sometimes prefer the small scale, more subtle but poignant wins of earlier seasons as opposed to the over-the-top 'everyone has the very best life ever in every way!' feel of later seasons.  

I definitely like season 3 more than 2, but 2 is my second favorite. There are 6 episodes in season 2 that are really, really solid for me. Season 4 is a close third, I think. 

I really, really love Ben---I'll fight you for the right to date him, April Bloodgate!---but I also fully get the argument that his presence ended up weakening the dynamic between Leslie/Ron and helping to make the show more of a sugary sweet rom com than a political comedy. 

Hmm... I definitely didn't notice Ben changing Leslie's relationship with Ron. Do you have examples?

Here's another one: Which season finale was your favorite? 

Lil' Sebastian. Most of the finales haven't done a lot for me, but Lil' Sebastian is great.

Ann, Leslie, Donna

2) If you could pick just 3-5 minor characters, they would be...
Jean-Ralphio, Harris (RIP), Brett, Shawna Malwae-Tweep, Perd

Ben/Leslie, Lucy/Tom, Shawna/Bobby Newport

4) Your three or so favorite platonic relationships?
Ann/Leslie (BFF Forever I love you), April/Ron, Chris/Ben

5) Your least favorite characters/relationships?
Ann/Tom as a couple. 

6) Your 2-3 favorite seasons?
Three -----------------> Two ---> One

7) Your least favorite season(s)?
Six!

8) If you could keep just 10-15 episodes to watch for the rest of your life, they would be...
Season 3. Well, Take out Eagleton and Soulmates so I can have Master Plan and Freddy Spaghetti. 

9) The five or so episodes you like least are...
The ones that Ann missed before she moved away. I was so bummed that Leslie and Ann weren't as close in season 6.

Rent a Swag (Diddly diddly diddly SWAG!)

I'm a OG, Shoeshine or bust

12) Five moments/scenes when you found April unexpectedly sweet
I always liked April. I liked when Ron met her parents, and they made him take off his shoes. I LOVED seeing her walk down the "aisle" in Fancy Party and have cried during every rewatch.

I would want to work at the Sweetums foundation for the free food

I'm a straight chick and I'd still pick Donna. She has much knowledge. 

I'd love to see a musical!

BONUS QUESTION: What episode that most people forget about do you LOVE? 

Camping! With the german muffins and Tom's dvr-capable tent. 

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 1
BONUS QUESTION: What episode that most people forget about do you LOVE?

Oh my god, you do not know what you've unleashed here! I could name so many, but I'll try to limit myself to five. Or 10. Or... :) 

Sister City (I know most people dislike it, but I actually think it's among the series' funnier and more amusing episodes!), Galentine's Day (S2) (not disliked, just rarely mentioned, but yet I love it---and it features my favorite individual April moments of the series, when she breaks up with the gay couple she's "dating" and tells the elderly people very sincerely that they're adorable), Women in Garbage, Ann's Decision, Bailout...have I mentioned that S5 is my favorite?! I could name even more, but those are episodes I never hear mentioned that I really love. S6: Doppelgangers, Filibuster, the other Galentine's Day, Flu Season 2, One in 8000, S7: Ron and Jammy, William Henry Harrison, Pie Mary...why do I always end up realizing I love S7 so much more than I think I do?!

...I know that was more than 10, but considering I could have listed a lot more, I'm kind of pleased that I could narrow it down as much as I did :)

Here's the flip side of BoogieBurns' awesome question: Which seemingly popular, widely loved episodes are you relatively indifferent to? 

Woman of the Year is another not popular episode that gives me life. 

Which seemingly popular, widely loved episodes are you relatively indifferent to?

Unfortunately, Pawnee Rangers is now one of my least favorites. Also, Comeback Kid does not reward repeat viewings.

Edited by BoogieBurns

I still like the Treat Yo Self storyline. But the Rangers vs. Goddesses makes me sad. I hate seeing Ron left all alone, and Ann feeling so uncool. The puppy party helps, but that episode is just not so fun in reruns. Ben is so sad for like 20 minutes of the episode too. I hate when they are sad.

Aaaahhhh! I can't believe I forgot "Two Parties", the bachelor party from season 5. I love it so much! The guys singing "Shoop" in the car is great. Also, I got to meet the guys while they were filming the steakhouse scene in Indy! Adam Scott and Chris Pratt were so incredibly nice! Rob Lowe was nice too, but by the time he came out, there was a huge crowd and he could really talk to people. 

And here's another unpopular opinion: I never thought that season one was much worse than other seasons. 

I thought the first episode was positively awful, and the 2nd wasn't good.  I stopped watching then, until sometime into the 2nd season when my SIL told me how funny she thought the show was.  When I watched the rest of S1, I thought it was OK, but not great. 

I would love to hear why! Personally, I never got why Treat Yo Self is considered the best, most clever and funny thing ever. It's a shopping spree!

I liked it best for the introduction of it and also bens reactions to what they were doing. "I've never been so stressed out" and also Ben in the batman costume was pretty awesome.