Type keyword(s) to search

S3.E12: 340 Sq. Ft. Pioneer House

A family prepare to move across the country and seek a craftsman-style home that can withstand brutal winters.

It made no sense that the little boy, who was only about three or four, got his own loft, while the two older girls were crammed into a much smaller room on the ground floor. Oh, look, girls, the top bunk can be raised up a few feet to give you "extra" barely perceptible space. Also, the loft had no railing or safely barrier, and the only way to gain access was by climbing a ladder, which made it even more dangerous and impractical for a small child. WTF? I was hoping that when the show checked in with them a few months later that logic had prevailed and they'd made a switch. Nope.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 1

It is scary that railings seem to be not put on with many homes as they build. It doesn't seem expensive and I always picture a tired, sleepy kid rolling off or doing some stunt and hurting themselves. 

I have seen updates where you see railings but not in this case. 

• Love 1

I was so unbelievably pissed off at this episode that I started talking to myself about how dumb these people are. My boyfriend, who was trying to sleep, told me to chill out.

Those poor girls! The older one told her little brother "Wow, you have a nice room!" You could just hear the frustration in her voice! A fucking infant who can't even use the ladder, had a big space all to himself while she and her sister were going to share a room the size of a bathroom. The only positive is they get a little privacy with the door, but they still get no privacy essentially because they're literally on top of each other. And you could tell the builders were a little confused, as well. They can fuck off with the rising bed, too. "Look! You get this desk that's the size of a tv tray!! Ooooh, ahhh!" Fuck you.

This was just so annoying to watch. Good luck to the parents and trying to have sex in that house. Not so awkward when your kid is an infant, wait til he becomes 6 or 7.

God and 5 people sharing a bathroom? Bye.

• Love 2

I can foresee a lot of resentment building in thse kids as they get older and the novelty of living in the "ultimate clubhouse" wears off. They are going to want to live in a normal house just like their peers.

That room those two girls had to share was almost like a training zone for jailhouse living. Come to think of it, prisoners probably have bigger cells than those kids' room.

You can just as easily live in a smaller home with enough space so that every one isn't right on top of one another, and still live a simpler, less materialistic life if you so choose.

Though I really doubt that many of thse families with children actually live in those tiny homes for more than a year - if that. Especially if they want to send their kids to school and have to have a legal address for them.

I agree, you can have a much smaller footprint and still have a regular home. You are still saying that "excess" is wrong, but you can have personal space, something most of us need. It isn't Little House on the Prarie.  :)

I think they should have more with seniors (no lofts!) or young couples looking for a first home, maybe a veteran needing some special functions Zack could make.

Showing the good and the bad will help their movement, not hurt it. Go back in a year and see how they fared in a special show, let others know what tripped them up, why it's not the play house you wanted as a kid, it's real and can get old fast. It can also be a great money saver if you have the zoning and means to do it.

• Love 2

They should really highlight the problems people run into regarding zoning and utilities hook-ups instead of ignoring the whole issue.

I would love to see a "senior community" of tiny houses, because I think that would work for those who still want their own place but no longer need a large home or want to live in a large senior housing apartment building. They would have the separation and individuality of a private home but still be close to neighbors and support, and in a living space that isn't overwhelming to care for. Set it up like a trailer park or a campground.

That is a good idea, My mom misses her old cape, but it was too much. Her senior facility is cold and boring, not much going on, people don't get to meet each other (5 or 6 floors) often. If she was able to have a small home with other small home owners, even a "senior rent' type of thing, would have been great, a community that would be easier to meet others.

If you go to tiny house listings and put in 'tiny house nation" in search, it shows homes from the show, I think there are 2 now. http://tinyhouselistings.com/