Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Welcome Wagon

Lisin
  • Start Topic

From IMDB: "Veronica is in true form from the moment she and boyfriend Logan, along with close friends Wallace and Mac, set foot on the campus of Hearst College. Wallace enlists Veronica's help when his new roommate, Piz, has all his belongings stolen. While working on Piz's case, Veronica learns that the campus serial rapist has struck again. Meanwhile, Keith runs into trouble while transporting a recently released convict across the country to reunite him with Kendall."

Piz. Ok, I'm going to be honest. Upon rewatch, I like Piz more. He's genuinely funny and I guess having the distance between when this aired and now (this is the first time I'm rewatching season 3) I'm no longer mad about the new characters being brought in and I'm more able to look past his awful floppy hair and enjoy the fact that he's a funny guy and Wallace has a new friend. 

I've never understood all the Piz hate, and I say that as a true Veronica/Logan fan. I think Chris Lowell is great as Piz, and I definitely think he had to step into a role that was going to be unpopular because he serves as foil to Logan.

I think he and Veronica have nice chemistry, and I think he and Wallace make great roommates.  There's also some great one-liners in this episode.

• Love 1

I think the Piz hate stemmed from the fact that he was introduced immediately as having a thing for Veronica (though upon rewatch it's more that he thinks she's hot - true - and that it's cool that she helps him - also true) and people being afraid of what was going to happen. I just remember since this was the big move over to the CW and the credits changed and now we were supposed to like these new people and "don't you dare break Veronica and Logan up again especially after the fake out of last season damn you!!" etc. I remember being mad about a lot of stuff. Similar to how when it initially aired I HATED the season of the X-Files that Robert Patrick was in, but upon rewatch he's good in it, and it's not his fault I was upset about Mulder being gone. 

• Love 1

(For context, I watched this episode and I think the next one or maybe two on my first runthrough, then stopped.)

The stolen-stuff mystery here is fine; serviceable intro to Piz and Parker and whatnot. Not that exciting, though.

The rape mystery setup is also reasonable, obviously what happens to them is horrible, but at least for an initial setup it doesn't really have the defining-everything force of Lilly's morder or a bus going off a cliff – especially since we already knew that was happening from last season.

Random thoughts as I went:

– The setup in that classroom is awful! The seats are way too far back from the whiteboard and the TV screen is impossible to see.

– New credits sequence, huh? Not crazy about it so far, we'll see if it grows on me.

– Yaaaay Logan!

– Who moves in on the second day of class? No orientation or anything? Not making the best first impression, Piz.

– Cormac looks way too much like Woody. I was super confused for a minute. Also: the hell are you doing trusting a Fitzpatrick, Keith? :(

- It's the Neptune Bronze!

– Aww, Sachs doesn't know how to interact with Veronica without Lamb to tell him what to do.

• Love 1

The only problem with Piz as a character is that there's no real drama to him, which is great for a real-life love interest, but boring as hell to watch in a TV show.  I didn't even hate him in the original run, I just wasn't interested in him. 

Binging the show makes it more jarring to watch James Jordan as two different significant characters with only one episode separating them than it was when there was a full summer hiatus.  I don't remember that bothering me as much the first time around.

I still despise the season three credits. Time has done nothing to soften my irrational, crazy-eyed hate. 

• Love 2

I still despise the season three credits. Time has done nothing to soften my irrational, crazy-eyed hate. 

The season three credits are THE WORST, and what kills me is that they're what Rob Thomas wanted all along--he wanted something that he thought was more "tonally resonant" with the show or whatever.  AWFUL.

• Love 2

The season three credits are THE WORST, and what kills me is that they're what Rob Thomas wanted all along--he wanted something that he thought was more "tonally resonant" with the show or whatever.  AWFUL.

I didn't know that! I assumed the peppy credits for a show that dealt with a lot of dark themes was intentional irony.  Have we discovered the first good network note in TV history?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I agree that the new credits aren't quite to my liking.

I like Piz, seems like a fun character, though his question of was Logan her boyfriend was kindof, um, who do you think he is since he kissed her.

I do like the continuity of the campus rape/hair cutting story line that was introduced in S2.  I guess we'll get that mystery solved finally.

Had to laugh that Veronica did the internet quick way of finding out the class game mystery.  Gotta use up to date tools at your disposal.  And it wasn't like she volunteered to break the record of the TA. 

Nice intro mystery with finding the guy and his gang that stole their stuff.  Although that was pretty stupid of the ringleader to sell the guitar on Craig's list after his gang reported to him that they gave a story to someone looking for their stuff.  And if he's a true student of criminology, he should know that he'd never get money for that guitar, since receipt of stolen property is a crime and he never had title to it, it would always belong to Piz.

I wonder if there will be any explanation as to how/why Veronica is at Hearst.  Did she get the Kane scholarship?  I assume not, or she'd be at Stanford.  So did she still apply to Hearst and get a scholarship there?

Oh and Keith.  How could you trust a Fitzpatrick or even Kendall (if she's really dead and not a set up by Colin, played for Keith's benefit - if she is dead, eh, good riddance.  I guess it must have been the money,  but really.  Awful, awful people.

Edited by Hanahope

I wonder if there will be any explanation as to how/why Veronica is at Hearst.  Did she get the Kane scholarship?  I assume not, or she'd be at Stanford.  So did she still apply to Hearst and get a scholarship there?

I can't recall if they spell it out here or in a future episode, but Veronica sealed the deal on not getting the Kane scholarship when she walked out of that final in S2E21 to go to court for Aaron's verdict.