Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Key Move

Also, yeah it would give Renard a side but I do kind of like his character being more of a grey character

My sexy pants Renard is not in charge of BC, he's clearly being set up by the sleazy PR woman and other unknown villains!

For what purpose, though? What does Renard becoming mayor do for the PR lady, or for Nick, or for this show really? 

See, I think there's a desire here (as evidenced by your "sexy pants" remark) to keep Renard a morally ambiguous character because we want to root for him and have him turn out to be a good guy. But morally "grey" means he doesn't do anything. He sits around and makes mysterious phone calls - that's all keeping him "grey" has gotten us. No story for him. And having him be mayor doesn't accomplish much in making him heroic that keeping him as a police chief does. That's why there needs to be something more to him. 

He spent all of season one saying Nick was important to his "plans" and he had definite designs on power when he had those coins. It's time to circle back to all of that and pull Renard off the back burner once and for all.

And heck, as stupid as Nick has been about this whole Adalind thing, who's to say we can't root for an evil Renard to triumph over an idiotic Grimm? Plus he can still be shirtless :-)

Renard's plans for Nik really ended back in s2 once he had and then returned Marie's key, because he trusted Nik more than his own royal family.  

Renard is a wesen and member of the Royal family, so it makes perfect sense that BC want to use him to further their plans, which we know is to take over the world!

For what purpose, though? What does Renard becoming mayor do for the PR lady, or for Nick, or for this show really? 

See, I think there's a desire here (as evidenced by your "sexy pants" remark) to keep Renard a morally ambiguous character because we want to root for him and have him turn out to be a good guy. But morally "grey" means he doesn't do anything. He sits around and makes mysterious phone calls - that's all keeping him "grey" has gotten us. No story for him. And having him be mayor doesn't accomplish much in making him heroic that keeping him as a police chief does. That's why there needs to be something more to him. 

He spent all of season one saying Nick was important to his "plans" and he had definite designs on power when he had those coins. It's time to circle back to all of that and pull Renard off the back burner once and for all.

And heck, as stupid as Nick has been about this whole Adalind thing, who's to say we can't root for an evil Renard to triumph over an idiotic Grimm? Plus he can still be shirtless :-)

Replying in the Renard thread....

Yeah, I'm not sure what the deal is with Meisner repeatedly restraining Trubel from helping her friends. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to throw his weight around for no reason, so I'm guessing he gets orders (or at least input) from above. Yet why would HW think that engendering resentment in their Grimm is a good idea?

I still think Meisner is actually a bad guy, doing a bigger bad guy's bidding in some sort of all-encompassing plot (and Adalind will seemingly join them, but sacrifice herself for Nick and their kid). Otherwise I can't get the secret, Meisner-led Wesen Justice League straight. Good guys don't  make their superheroes sleep in essentially prison cells with guards. 

Trubel still seems to have a good head on her shoulders. Yet she does what Meisner says, even when it comes to her friends. Hmmmm.

I get the sense that maybe Meisner is in charge of the local chapter of HW by default. He was an assassin/mercenary affiliated with the Resistance, then, after bumping off the king he maybe decided that there were bigger fish to fry, so he joined up with HW, apparently under Chavez. Then Chavez died and there was a leadership vacuum; he stepped in. While he seems to be in charge, he views himself as a tool of HW the same as Eve and Trubel -- when someone remarked that the latter were kept in cells, he said something like "they keep us all here". Obviously, he has a bit more autonomy than most, and he gives orders, most notably to Trubel.

OK, that almost makes sense, though I'm not sure why someone who appears to have been a successful free agent for so long would submit to HW's authority. But I really don't think the writers have worked all this out. They are just lucky that the actor playing Meisner manages to make the character engaging.

As for the "good guy/bad guy" issue, yeah, I'm not sure that HW qualifies as good. They did torture a dying woman/hexenbiest in order to brain-wash her into becoming a living weapon. That's not nice ;-) But they may fall into the "lesser of two evils" category.

I still think Meisner is actually a bad guy, doing a bigger bad guy's bidding in some sort of all-encompassing plot (and Adalind will seemingly join them, but sacrifice herself for Nick and their kid). Otherwise I can't get the secret, Meisner-led Wesen Justice League straight. Good guys don't  make their superheroes sleep in essentially prison cells with guards. 

Trubel still seems to have a good head on her shoulders. Yet she does what Meisner says, even when it comes to her friends. Hmmmm.

Replying in the spoiler thread....

I think Meisner is a gun for hire, and this time he's working for HW.

That could be. But I think maybe Meisner is working towards his own personal agenda. I believe he was with the Resistence because his girlfriend was killed? And do we know who is behind this Black Claw movement? I had a crazy thought that maybe it's the Royal families themselves that are instigating all this violence. Because a Wesen uprising in the world on general could take the heat off the Royals? Maybe the Royals are in cahoots with BC to regain some of their power and influence? At any rate, as it relates to Meisner, if BC IS working with the Royals, then he he would have reason to go up against BC - to continue his vendetta against the Royals. But then , he would have to KNOW of a link between BC and the Royals, and just doesn't seem he's high enough in the food chain to see the whole picture.

I'm probably just overthinking though. Which would make me wrong, since the writers probably don't put near that much thought into anything.

• Love 1

Or maybe just a guy too busy to date. He doesn't seem to have any free nights. And can you imagine his Match.com listing? "Must be ok with seeing the occasional monster". Adalind is right there, and he doesn't have to hide stuff from her.