Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

Early holiday news:

First, A Pentatonix Christmas has moved from #68 to #34 on the Top 200 Billboard chart (its 15th week on the chart). It's also #1 on Top Catalog Albums, replacing Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Greatest Hits. TCTM was at the top of the catalog chart for 15 weeks in 2015-2016. Also, PTXmas was at the top of the catalog chart for one week in 2013. Sales figures for APC is at 956,000, and TCTM is up to 2,072,000.

Also, their "Carol of the Bells" is appearing on the soundtrack album for The Star, the new animated film about the nativity story. I don't know if it will actually be heard during the film, though.

• Love 2

They keep saying that Matt is the bass for the Christmas season but fans are becoming invested in him and a revolving door of bass singers for the group doesn't seem to be a good idea to me.

• Love 1

Well, they embraced the cheese inherent in the Christmas tv special genre. If they get a third special, they really should invest in some better writers for their banter, though I did enjoy the way both Kirstin and Mitch were flirting with the country singer. Jennifer H did bring some fun to her banter, although I was waiting for Kevin to blow both Kirstin and Mitch out with his falsetto. 

Oh, speaking of KO, I liked that they played with his overachiever image. 

Both Mitch and Kirstin showed some acting chops in their banter, and I am expecting Mitch to join Kirstin in that arena some day.

The other three guest stars were pretty meh. Jay Leno and the AGT winner were obviously NBC demands for the time slot, and sad to say, I thought they really wasted Kermit. 

The dancers were a decent addition, although I preferred last year’s poppers and ballerinas. And the orchestra was nicely unobtrusive, which is a rarity for PTX. 

Choosing to close with “Imagine” made a nice statement for today’s fraught environment.

• Love 1

They kicked off the Christmas tour over the weekend. Several videos are on YT, including one of Deck The Halls wherein Scott, yet again, forgets the words: 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

"...including one of Deck The Halls wherein Scott, yet again, forgets the words..."

Sometimes I wonder if he does that on purpose--to give the fandom something to natter over and laugh at. ;-)

Also, this was announced last week. It makes sense, as it occurs during Kirstin's Broadway run...and also as a preview of a, perhaps, bigger Superfruit tour.

Edited by SrPab

I know that they put the wedding on hold over the summer, but I don’t know if they’re together or not. I think she was wearing her ring in the Deck the Halls video, but I couldn’t tell if it was on during the tv special.

They are up against Bell Biv Devoe on Tuesday’s Drop the Mic on TBS. Never seen the show, but I have the DVR set.

”Come and talk to us when you’ve won three Grammys...”

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

Also, Mary, Did You Know? and Hallelujah both just got platinum certification, and Can’t Sleep Love just went gold: https://headlineplanet.com/home/2018/02/15/pentatonixs-mary-know-hallelujah-reach-platinum-cant-sleep-love-gold/

Also also, their Lip-Sync Battle will be aired on March 8.

Also also also, Kirstin is interviewed on Variety’s stage podcast with her new cast mate, Jake Shears: http://variety.com/2018/legit/news/jake-shears-kirstin-maldonado-podcast-stagecraft-kinky-boots-1202696698/

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

If you search on YT, you’ll see vids from Superfruit’s LA show last week. Lots of great fans in the crowd who knew all the words!

New PTX song released today—Attention by Charlie Puth:

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

Album is out! I am an old fogey who doesn’t listen to pop music anymore, just what I hear covered on music reality shows like The Voice, or by groups like PTX or Home Free. So, the album is full of songs I haven’t heard before, except for Despacito (heard on the Grammys show). My favorite on first listen is Feel It Still, which just has me dancing around my apartment. I looked up the original on YT and enjoyed it, but preferred PTX’s version.

They just posted a medley of all the songs from the new album. It doesn’t really flow well, since they just sing snippets in track order, but it is their first live medley video since, what, Evolution of Michael Jackson?

Last night’s appearance on the James Corden show: 

What the the hell happened to Kirstin’s hair and eye makeup?!? Ugh, on both counts. Also, Matt and Mitch were nearly inaudible—bad sound mixing there.

Recently, the Fine Bros from their various react channels on YouTube brought in a group of Pentatonix super fans to react to their new videos, and Scott and Mitch went in to meet and surprise them.

Now the five have posted their reactions to those fans' reactions.

Scott and Mitch have been on YouTubers React segments in the past, as well.

(edited)

I thought The Sing-Off forum here was put out to pasture after that big site change awhile back--for several days straight I searched for it to no avail. Whew! Nice to interact with you few again.

My first contribution since rediscovering this forum comes via an FB reply from Ben Bram to someone wondering why PTX put out another album of cover music:

They all release great original music in their respective solo/duo projects, but it’s been difficult for them to find a collective original music “voice” as a band. So they continue to do what works for them! Also an original album takes months and months just to write the 50+ songs necessary to find the 10 best ones to put on the album. We were able to put this cover album together in just a few weeks.

Was wondering what any of you think of this? Personally, ever since I learned that it would be a cover album I thought about why they would go this route. Ben's reply speaks to some of my thinking. I'll add that I've read some stuff from Scott that this album represents a re-introduction to PTX (since they are now PTX 2.0), as well as it is an introduction to Matt Sallee. It was something they didn't have to agonize over as much as an album of original songs...so they could devote more energy integrating Matt into their dynamic and continue pursuing solo/duo projects (like gearing up for the Superfruit tour and Kirstin's B-way stint).

I think they are writing original songs but they may not have enough material yet to choose the "...10 best ones to put on the album." I'd also like to know any thoughts you may have regarding PTX writing their own material versus having others write original songs for them--especially in today's music industry. I know that their self-titled album of mostly originals did credit non-PTX members as songwriters...but what do you think about them releasing an album of original music they didn't write themselves?

For a (relatively) small fish in a big pond, would it make economic sense to get others to write songs for them? Would the general public think less of them, artistically, if they don't write their own songs?

Edited by SrPab
On 5/2/2018 at 7:06 PM, SrPab said:

My first contribution since rediscovering this forum comes via an FB reply from Ben Bram to someone wondering why PTX put out another album of cover music:

Was wondering what any of you think of this? Personally, ever since I learned that it would be a cover album I thought about why they would go this route. Ben's reply speaks to some of my thinking. I'll add that I've read some stuff from Scott that this album represents a re-introduction to PTX (since they are now PTX 2.0), as well as it is an introduction to Matt Sallee. It was something they didn't have to agonize over as much as an album of original songs...so they could devote more energy integrating Matt into their dynamic and continue pursuing solo/duo projects (like gearing up for the Superfruit tour and Kirstin's B-way stint).

I think they are writing original songs but they may not have enough material yet to choose the "...10 best ones to put on the album." I'd also like to know any thoughts you may have regarding PTX writing their own material versus having others write original songs for them--especially in today's music industry. I know that their self-titled album of mostly originals did credit non-PTX members as songwriters...but what do you think about them releasing an album of original music they didn't write themselves?

For a (relatively) small fish in a big pond, would it make economic sense to get others to write songs for them? Would the general public think less of them, artistically, if they don't write their own songs?

Personally, I could care less about them writing original material or having it written for them or whatever.  I guess different people are Pentaholics for different reasons.  I almost don't care what they sing.  I'm a fan for how they sound when they perform together.

I think that the formula for most acts under the umbrella of a record label contract is less compelling for them because they are so different.  I believe that there are enough hard core adherents so that they don't really need to go original.  The fact that the album was covers and still debuted at #10 is reassuring to me.  They may be small fish in a big pond but they know what works for them and I don't really need them to be anything else.

And granted I might sound naive because I'm not knowledgeable about the music industry as a whole, but it looks like they are still viable to me.  

Cover music doesn’t bother me at all, although I get why PTX wants to do more original music. I just recently started watching Postmodern Jukebox on YT, and that is all covers (check out Melinda Doolittle singing Queen’s Don’t Stop Me Now as something from the Ike and Tina Turner Review—amazing!).

(edited)

The New York Times interview/performance was great for me because it spoke to some things that fit my generalized and admittedly paranoid view of things by exactly what was said and what was not said.

I always thought that though they were incredible and life-affirming and all of that musically, I didn't think that they meshed so well personally.  Just little things.  I didn't know until Avi said it that he suffered from anxiety more so than people normally do.  That confirms somethings I noticed about their dynamic in interviews and stuff.  I commend him for realizing that he basically had to "Get Out" to be okay.  And if you notice since he has been doing more authentically true to himself music, he is not so bassy for lack of a better word.  And while that was what a lot of people loved about him in Pentatonix, it might not have been what he saw for himself as his highest and best.

In losing some of what Avi brought to the group, I think Matt is a better fit, personality wise.  Early days, yet, but that's how it looks.  And if he is okay enough for the perfectionists in their stable, then I think we're good to go.  Matt may not be Avi but they look happier and that just might be my Pentatonix-colored glasses.

You have no idea how much editing I had to do to this to seem less crazy.

Edited by Geeze
(edited)
19 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

Cover music doesn’t bother me at all, although I get why PTX wants to do more original music. I just recently started watching Postmodern Jukebox on YT, and that is all covers (check out Melinda Doolittle singing Queen’s Don’t Stop Me Now as something from the Ike and Tina Turner Review—amazing!).

But I don't get why THEY want so much to do more original music.  They have basically proven that they can do individual original stuff and do it well but if it ain't broke....

Open to enlightenment.

Edited by Geeze

They won’t be viewed as “legitimate”in the industry until they get original music on the radio/streaming in single form, not album sales. Until then, they’re “just” a cover band who also sells well at Christmas.

• Love 1

Scott has a new collaboration with a singer called FRANKIE, “Ghost.” The video is pretty adorable, a Grease tribute, and co-starring Clark Moore from the Dartmouth Aires and recently of the film Love, Simon.

1 hour ago, Sharpie66 said:

Scott has a new collaboration with a singer called FRANKIE, “Ghost.” The video is pretty adorable, a Grease tribute, and co-starring Clark Moore from the Dartmouth Aires and recently of the film Love, Simon.

Clark is also in Childish Gambino's "This is America".