Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

I saw the special on you tube and I wondered about the ratings (I thought they were really good, by the way).  Here is what I found  http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/wednesday-tv-ratings-star-survivor-black-ish-top-12-greatest-christmas-movies-time-pentatonix-christmas-special/

I know squat about this stuff but it didn't look too shabby to me.  7.49 million viewers I think.

What was the Reba McIntyre(sp) appearance about?  Anything to do with the Grammy thing?  Label mates?  Whassup? 

Edited by Geeze
  • Love 1

7.49 million is double what the third season of The Sing-Off averaged per episode. And it's only 1.65 million less than the Survivor season finale--not bad!

As for Reba, I just read yesterday that she got cast in an upcoming tv series--maybe that's the tie-in?

• Love 2
On 12/15/2016 at 11:25 AM, Geeze said:

I saw the special on you tube and I wondered about the ratings (I thought they were really good, by the way).  Here is what I found  http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/wednesday-tv-ratings-star-survivor-black-ish-top-12-greatest-christmas-movies-time-pentatonix-christmas-special/

I know squat about this stuff but it didn't look too shabby to me.  7.49 million viewers I think.

What was the Reba McIntyre(sp) appearance about?  Anything to do with the Grammy thing?  Label mates?  Whassup? 

It's both good and bad at the same time. The problem isn't the 7.49 million viewers (which was almost as many viewers as Empire), it's the 1.4 18-49 demo score. Although even that's relative, because even though 1.4 placed them in 4th place (out of 5 networks), at the same time 1.4 really isn't THAT bad (it's actually only even a LITTLE bad because it was at 8PM--where more people in that age range watch than lets say, 10PM). 

Supposedly, in theory in the past few years they claim nobody anywhere CARES anymore about the total number of viewers (which remember is only an estimate anyway). In practice though, I actually think that might not matter as much here. First, because an act like PTX actually has lots of fans UNDER 18-49, as opposed to older than the range. While those kids don't hold the pursestrings, PTX is considered a family friendly option, and that scores big with Mom and Pop... who DO buy stuff. It all goes back to advertising anyway, and advertisers seem to like PTX too (go ask Amazon, right?)  Also, the special was cheap to produce. That matters a lot these days. 

Will NBC ever offer PTX another special? Well, I suppose if we compare the numbers to something like the countless Michael Buble specials, that might give us an idea. If the numbers are comparable? I don't see why not.

As for Reba? I think her presence served two purposes. First, even though at their heart PTX are about as country as... er... something totally not country... they've grown an audience there for reasons we all know by now. Reba takes advantage of that, even if that effort seems a bit duplication of using their co-Grammy nominee, Dolly. But they also may simply know her through Kelly Clarkson. Remember that Reba is Kelly's ex-mother-in law and even though Reba got divorced from Kelly's father-in-law (severing that title of mother-in-law), the two of them are still close. So it may just be a six-degrees kind of thing (okay, two degrees). PTX-->Kelly-->Reba.

If they'd been looking to spread their demo though, they should have had someone from the R&B/Urban music community on.

On 12/14/2016 at 8:09 PM, Sharpie66 said:

I liked the camera work on Hallelujah. Interesting way to move everyone around the stage and include the audience in the background with the handheld lights.

That work with the camera and movement (which if everyone doesn't know is called "blocking") was really sophisticated and well done. It highlighted who was lead at each point in a great and dramatic way.

It was actually on the level that maybe someone could get a technical Emmy for it at some point next year. Also, it took a lot of practice and work by PTX themselves too, so credit where it's due.... they deserve the lauds too.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2016 at 10:15 PM, SrPab said:

I think I'll Be Home For Christmas, with Kelly, should be released as a single. I wish they had performed Little Drummer Boy, but I was so happy they did Hark, The Herald Angels Sing.

The one I was glad to see/hear was Oh Come All Ye Faithful. 

The more I hear their version of it, the more I become convinced that over time we may see their arrangement creep into other places and someday hearing their arrangement could be more common that the dreary default one we're all used to. They've taken a boring as shit song and made it great. At the very least I predict ANY church with a choir will be singing the PTX arrangement from now on.

I was a little disappointed we didn't get Christmas Sing-Along. I seem to be in the minority in really liking it though.

So... I was listening/watching/streaming the special on my phone today and walked into a Wendy's (not my usual lunch but I won't apologize!). And I went from PTX to PTX, because the moment I pulled out my earbuds in the Wendy's, I suddenly hear them doing Winter Wonderland over the sound system (the version with Tori Kelly).

• Love 3

I'm optimistic about the 1.4 rating for their tv special if only because it was their first (and hopefully, not last) chance to headline a tv show on a major U.S. network. Kromm's point above about it being cheap to produce is in line with my thinking. Also, perhaps NBC took a wide view of it. I recall seeing a pic, circulating on Twitter, that sometime during that 8-9 hr last Wednesday, it was the #1 trending topic (U.S.-only or worldwide?) on Twitter--by a wide margin. If one of many reasons NBC did this was with an eye on PTX's social media prowess (punching above their weight class), then I think they got their money's worth, so to speak.

PTX's appeal to kids of all ages/gender identities/ethnicities/socio-economic and educational backgrounds should make them an easy sell with respect to ad time on tv. Additionally, while they don't appeal to some (self-identified) Christians, there are Christians who like them--and they watch tv, are online, and have discretionary income.

Let me restate another of Kromm's points above: NBC execs should NOT be in agony in deciding to pull the trigger and stage another PTX special. I believe doing another one, or not doing another one, is an easy call for them (no hemming and hawing). If they do another special, perhaps they could infuse a bit more R&B/Hip-Hop (beyond PTX's arrangements, as it stands) into it. Although, some of these NBC execs may then counter with "that doesn't appeal to middle America". I'm not making a value judgment; just giving voice to a different line of thought.

Apropos of nothing: I've listened to The Christmas Sing-Along a few more times...and it has grown on me.

Switching gears: those Platinum Album plaques for APC had the RIAA cert on them. I might try to research it later, but I wonder if they called it due to sales to retailers (and other POS). For example, if Walmart placed *another* order for 250,000 CDs to be distributed in all their physical stores, and Cracker Barrel and Target ordered an additional 100,000 CDs combined for their outlets--that would put APC over 1M. Those CDs were paid for--wouldn't/shouldn't they count as sales? Or, a delusional optimist believes APC is being streamed like crazy.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

I was just looking at their YT page. Looks like Daft Punk and Little Drummer Boy will soon be joined in the plus-100 million hits club by Mary Did You Know, Evolution of Music, and Hallelujah. The first two are around 95 million, and Hallelujah will be over 85 million today--I think it will crack 100 by the end of the year.

I was just looking at the Billboard charts. They have an article about the upcoming week's charts (not yet updated online)--APC will be at #2 and TCTM at #5, making them the first living artist to have two albums in the top 5 since Adele's post-Grammys rush in 2012. Forbes is predicting that they might make #1 next week, between the special and the lack of competition of new albums that week, although J. Cole might hold on to the top spot. 

In addition to those two, PTXmas is at #68, and the self-titled album is at #144, up from 157 the week before. Not quite the overall bounce that TCTM had for the rest of their albums (all five of their albums in 2014 hit the Top 200 chart at least two weeks in December), but nothing to sneeze at!

• Love 2

Don't forget their America's Got Talent performance tonight at 8:00 PM ET (I've read it will be their cover of Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays)! I don't follow the show so have no idea what ratings it typically gets (and I also don't know if this is the first-ever holiday/special episode for the show)--but more exposure for them.

On 12/17/2016 at 1:03 AM, Kromm said:

The one I was glad to see/hear was Oh Come All Ye Faithful. 

The more I hear their version of it, the more I become convinced that over time we may see their arrangement creep into other places and someday hearing their arrangement could be more common that the dreary default one we're all used to. They've taken a boring as shit song and made it great. At the very least I predict ANY church with a choir will be singing the PTX arrangement from now on.

(Bold emphasis mine.) I've got partially-formed thoughts regarding YT vid after YT vid I watch of groups (particularly larger ensembles) performing one or more PTX arrangements to varying degrees of "success". PTX arrangements with minimal or no beatboxing/vp seem to be more easily managed by these groups. But I've come across any number of, say, Mary, Did You Know? covers-of-a-cover that DO include something approximating Kevin's part...and I can't get into many of them.

One, mic balance/distribution is poor so their Kevin-clone is too loud and overwhelms everyone else. I'm talking about choirs who may or may not have performed contemporary a cappella arrangements before, trying a PTX song with 1 or 2 omni-directional mics and a handheld for the VPist. The acoustics of the venue are also often sub-optimal for this kind of mic set-up. Two, groups that perform MDYK *without* Kevin's part...are woefully lacking, to my ear. Kevin's perc in MDYK, to me, is "just right" for the song. Generally, his beatboxing is complementary with Avi's part and enhances the trio's vocals. Many of these groups' adaptations of PTX arrangements to suit their make-up oftentimes doesn't work for me.

Three, many of these groups don't do well with contemporary a cappella arrangements because they are more comfortable learning and performing choral/sacred/classical music. I'm coming across hit-or-miss vids with PTX's MDYK, or one clunker after another with something like La La Latch or Can't Sleep Love. And don't get me started with men--and women--trying to sing/sound like Mitch. It's okay to lower or change the key since there is only one Mitch Grassi. Most of these attempts at vocal mimicry are unpleasant to listen to.

By the way, I listen to others attempting a PTX arrangement because I'm curious about how much of a train wreck it could be (even though I love being happily surprised), and also just to get a better handle on PTX's global influence. Picture it, madrigal choirs performing PTX arrangements...church groups comprised of no one under the age of 45 trying PTX's Hark! The Herald Angels Sing.

Pardon this rant.

• Love 2

New video up later today! It's for "O Come All Ye Faithful" and it's the first non-collaboration video with other singers (the choir). It's pretty stripped-down, so I think they filmed it as fast as they could, but it is nice.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

New video up later today! It's for "O Come All Ye Faithful" and it's the first non-collaboration video with other singers (the choir). It's pretty stripped-down, so I think they filmed it as fast as they could, but it is nice.

Here it is:

And here's the AGT performance.  Notice a few things. First, Simon Cowell, a man known to be somewhat of a stiff in his reaction to music (even if he actually says later he liked it) is shown visibly smiling AND nodding in approval during the performance. AND, he's the one of the judges who stands up first (usually the others stand up and he sometimes reluctantly joins them, but only sometimes).

Simon also says (in a section not in the clip above but which aired) that he believes what they do is genius and he loves them.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Kromm said:

Hello #1?  (Billboard style) -- at least predicted

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7632337/pentatonix-christmas-album-heading-number-1-billboard-200

One thing that's significant to me is that IMO it's much harder to debut lower and later gain #1 than simply hitting it your first week out.

Probably been a while since that has happened. Last artist to not debut #1 and then achieve it weeks later?

What a cool achievement including this one...

"Pentatonix is the first act to chart a pair of albums concurrently in the top five since Prince on the May 21-dated chart, following an outpouring of support for his music following his death on April 21. Previous to Prince, both David Bowie and Whitney Houston also scored the feat, in 2016 and 2012, respectively -- but again, only after their deaths. The last living act to notch a pair of albums in the top five at the same time was Adele on the March 3, 2012-dated chart." - Billboard

• Love 1

Welcome, Reddust!! 

Well, it's official--APC is now the number one album of the week, and is also the fifth-highest selling album of 2016!

ETA: I just checked the Billboard Top 200 album chart, which still has last week's numbers on it, with APC at #2 and TCTM at #5, and on it, both PTXmas and Pentatonix had bumps, the first from #68 to #62 and the second from #144 to #99.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

The new Billboard 200 album chart is up, with APC at #1 and TCTM at #5. PTXmas went from #62 to #57, but the biggest surprise to me was that Pentatonix jumped from #99 to #46!

Also, APC is #1 on the Billboard Canadian album chart.

For the Holiday charts, on the Holiday Singles chart, we have Hallelujah at #2, Mary Did You Know? at #6, O Come All Ye Faithful at #40, That's Christmas to Me at #48, Up on the Housetop at #65, White Winter Hymnal at #66, Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy at #70, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen at #73, Winter Wonderland/Don't Worry Be Happy at #77, Silent Night at #84, I'll Be Home for Christmas at #86, White Christmas at #97, and Little Drummer Boy at #98.

For Holiday Albums, APC at #1, TCTM at #2, and PTXmas at #19.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

[Makes incoherent noises about work/overtime.]

They are all over those BB charts, aren't they? I'm happy for them. What are latest numbers on APC--did it actually sell 1M album equivalent units in 2016? I know it was over 900K units a few days ago.

By the way, that bump for Pentatonix (and original a cappella music) is sweet, too!

ETA: It appears the Hallelujah vid will get to 100M views on or before 31 Dec 2016.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 2

#1 for the second week in a row!!!

Been following HitsDD numbers which updates its chart every Friday. This is its tenth week on the charts and APC has sold approximately 1,029,126M.  

"Pentatonix is the first a cappella act to top the Artist 100, as well as the first pop group to reign in more than two years, since Maroon 5." - Billboard | Thought 1D would have taken that mantle at some point...

• Love 3

I have been watching some reaction videos and stumbled across an absolutely adorable one of four little girls watching their Sesame Street appearance. They get so into the interstitial "doo doo da doo dododadhdah doo doo bow, bow!" that they are singing along by the end of the video. Too cute! 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I have been watching some reaction videos and stumbled across an absolutely adorable one of four little girls watching their Sesame Street appearance. They get so into the interstitial "doo doo da doo dododadhdah doo doo bow, bow!" that they are singing along by the end of the video. Too cute! 

A lot of reaction videos annoy me, but I will admit the Pentatonix reactions sometimes are well worth watching. Often the best ones are the people who have somehow never actually seen them before getting a first impression (but then once they do too many of them, the reactions get too samey samey).

I actually HAD seen that one with the kids though, a few days ago. 

• Love 1

New Year's Day - NBC NYE With Carson Daly And Mel B. PTX was last musical act to "perform"--edited this way since they pre-recorded their piece a few weeks ago. They had a backing choir of about 12 people, 6 to either side. I (only) recognized India Carney, past contestant on The Voice [U.S.] and one of the instructors/musical directors at A Cappella Academy.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 3
On 1/1/2017 at 11:20 AM, SrPab said:

New Year's Day - NBC NYE With Carson Daly And Mel B. PTX was last musical act to "perform"--edited this way since they pre-recorded their piece a few weeks ago. They had a backing choir of about 12 people, 6 to either side. I (only) recognized India Carney, past contestant on The Voice [U.S.] and one of the instructors/musical directors at A Cappella Academy.

I think I saw Luke Edgemon, another alum from The Voice in the left hand choir.

• Love 2

I believe they said that they won't be touring this year so they could work on their next album, but does anyone think that they'll eventually put together a mini-tour of South America? I have heard that the fans down there are getting restless in their requests for a tour.

• Love 2
On 1/3/2017 at 9:09 AM, Sharpie66 said:

...does anyone think that they'll eventually put together a mini-tour of South America? I have heard that the fans down there are getting restless in their requests for a tour.

I believe that feeling has been there since 2012, no? [Example: "Come to Brasil." - Thousands of FB comments over the years]

• Love 1

Umm, this is...interesting--according to their tweet, they will be performing at a Grammys-salute concert, this time joining a tribute to the BeeGees. I guess it makes sense due to the BeeGees' harmonies, but that was a sentence I never thought I would type.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Umm, this is...interesting--according to their tweet, they will be performing at a Grammys-salute concert, this time joining a tribute to the BeeGees. I guess it makes sense due to the BeeGees' harmonies, but that was a sentence I never thought I would type.

How Can You Mend A Broken Heart is one of the all time greatest songs of the 20th century, so I hope they get that one. Then again, if you do you not only have to match the BeeGees own version, but also that immortal Al Green version everyone knows (which may be one of the most iconic records ever recorded). So... maybe that's the flip side for whoever gets that song.

Actually, the instrumentation is so vital on that song, I can't really imagine an a Capella version. There's a bass beat I can see Kevin and Avi combining to do, but the string parts would be kind of impossible.

Hmm. Thinking on some of the others... How Deep Is Your Love is also a gigantic one. Although there's also a ton of instrumentation on that song, I can actually imagine it sung without it (maybe because they're most synthesizers).

More Than A Woman seems kind of silly for PTX. Not sure I'd WANT to hear that. Mitch is already very high pitched, but that song is ALL falsetto, and high is not the same thing as falsetto. And Stayin' Alive would be even worse. It's BOTH falsetto, and all synthesizers. 

Sigh. Really that whole album is a no-no. But little known fact... the BeeGees were actually a must listen group when they weren't doing shitty disco songs! Broken Heart and How Deep being two examples, but maybe also... Too Much Heaven (also falsetto, but I can imagine a non-falsetto version--EDIT -- actually I don't even have to imagine... of all people, freaking Hanson did a non-falsetto A Capella version I just stumbled on). 

Oh, I almost forgot To Love Somebody. That's an amazing song. So good that both Nina Simone AND Janis Joplin covered it.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Oh, being 50 years old, I grew up on the BeeGees, so I know how good their songs are! I am really looking forward to hearing which song PTX does, and I hope someone will put it online. 

As for Hanson, they were actually after my time listening to Top 40 radio, but I really like some of their recent work. Check out their video for Thinking 'Bout Somethin' https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmG0DqhfDbY which is really catchy and the visuals are a great tribute to the Ray Charles number in The Blues Brothers, and yes, that is Weird Al playing tambourine.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1

Irrespective of their part in the BeeGees tribute, do we know if PTX will make an appearance during the prime time GRAMMY telecast? They may be in the audience but I don't know if they'll get to go on stage. Their nomination with Dolly is for something that won't be televised?

More Than A Woman seems kind of silly for PTX. Not sure I'd WANT to hear that. Mitch is already very high pitched, but that song is ALL falsetto, and high is not the same thing as falsetto. And Stayin' Alive would be even worse. It's BOTH falsetto, and all synthesizers.

Additionally, will it be a cappella or will someone insist on having PTX perform over an instrumental track (with Avi and Kevin still providing the rhythm section)? Whatever happens, I'll go ahead and make my usual plea for good levels and mic balance.

• Love 1
On 01/02/2017 at 0:21 AM, SrPab said:

Irrespective of their part in the BeeGees tribute, do we know if PTX will make an appearance during the prime time GRAMMY telecast? They may be in the audience but I don't know if they'll get to go on stage. Their nomination with Dolly is for something that won't be televised?

Some insiders think PTX might be 'lending their pipes' for the night. They have been well received after last years appearance and on other awards shows.

• Love 2

I don't know about a mobile device, but on desktop or laptop, scroll to where the tweet is on the timeline. Click on that tweet itself (to "open", or view the tweet individually) and the address bar should display the full URL of just that one tweet. Copy/paste the URL into your Previously TV post-in-progress either via the Link button or inline/within body of post--as you do with any other link.

Like so...

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

I just noticed that Kirstin is not wearing heels in that rehearsal pic. She is tiny! Only barely reaches Scott's shoulder height. Mitch isn't much taller, since he is wearing boots with at least an inch or two built in. Also, any idea what those pinkish patches are on Scott and Kevin's pants? 

• Love 1

Grrrr-- I usually appreciate Think Progress's pop culture coverage, but they slammed PTX in their Grammies story: "It was a nearly unlistenable year for pop music in 2016. In other words, a banner year for Pentatonix." 

Oh, f off.

• Love 1

Things occur to me after the fact generally but here we go.  The first Grammy was for arrangement, the second was for arrangement.  Finally, a performance Grammy (is pleased), but did Ben Bram help out on arrangement for the second or third.

Edited by Geeze
14 hours ago, Geeze said:

Things occur to me after the fact generally but here we go.  The first Grammy was for arrangement, the second was for arrangement.  Finally, a performance Grammy (is pleased), but did Ben Bram help out on arrangement for the second or third.

According to Wikipedia, all five members of PTX plus Ben Bram were nominated and won Grammys for Daft Punk and Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy. It says nothing about the Jolene arrangement except "Pentatonix and Dolly Parton".

Edited by SrPab