Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

Late to the party as always but hitting gold with an original a cappella album.........they're just in a class of their own and cannot be quantified or qualified by conventional music business standards.............and yaaay!

Edited by Geeze
  • Love 1

Don't know how official this is but a gossip-tainment site states that PTX and Stevie Wonder will be performing a tribute to Maurice White.

"“There’s a history of [the Grammys] not acknowledging black artists,” a source told us.

But the Grammy academy finally bowed to pressure over White, and over the weekend added Wonder and a cappella group Pentatonix to perform a one-minute tribute to White." - http://pagesix.com/2016/02/14/one-late-black-music-legend-will-be-honored-at-grammys/

Edit: Just confirmed via Billboard interviewing the shows producer.

Pentatonix also just debuted their new single which was rumoured months ago, "If I Ever Fall In Love."

Edited by ptxnewsandstuff
  • Love 4

Yay! Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy won! Ben Bram accepted on behalf of the band and himself since they were rehearsing at Staples for tonight's performance.

We're not near the point yet, but I suspect in a few years it may start to get anti-climatic them winning, since they essentially have no credible competition in their category. I mean there are plenty of a capella  performers, but the combo of commercial success and actually doing something original is a big ask.

• Love 3

First: 2 noms, 2 wins!

Second: Greedy me wishes PTX and Stevie Wonder have more than a minute to pay tribute to Maurice White.

Third: We've talked about it upthread but I hope they're not pigeon-holed into this category for the remainder of their career.

• Love 2

That was a beautiful performance. After hearing what song they were going to be singing, I looked up the EW&F original on YT since it didn't come immediately to mind, and realized right away it was going to be Stevie singing lead and them doing backup, but it really worked. Nice to hear the crowd cheer Mitch's high note as well as Stevie's runs.

I had no idea they would also be giving the Best Song award! That was a nice surprise. Stevie's winner announcement is going to be one of the highlights of the entire evening, which, to be really PTX-partisan, is great for their exposure. It will be interesting to see if their album standing rises next week.

USA Today had a running commentary on the show's performances and said this about them:

"REMEMBERING A SHINING STAR

"Performers: Stevie Wonder and Pentatonix

"Song: That’s the Way of the World

"Recap: Pentatonix earned its stripes with a heavenly, and suitably groovy, a cappella tribute to the recently departed genius Maurice White. Granted, they had the great good luck to have a living legend (Wonder) lead them in this all-too-brief rendition of an Earth, Wind & Fire classic, which could have had us dancing all night."

(In completely other Grammy opinions, I was completely unfamiliar with Kendrick Lamar before this, but, damn!, he was amazing!! I am not into hip hop at all, but that performance blew me away.)

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

I look forward to many future interviews where Mitch gushes about how it was working with Stevie Wonder!

Ben gave Deke Sharon a shoutout! Hee!

Not that it means much, because well... as we know by now virtually nobody is paying attention when this award is presented (the audience is actually about half full, but it's either seat fillers or people only there for the "off the air" awards I think). but here's the actual award acceptance.

Here's the performance with Stevie (short the intro on this copy so I may look for another and change this later):

Oh, the group's pal Tori killed at the Grammys this year too. Can't find a decent video of more than a few seconds of her performance though. OF COURSE there was no way she was going to win the actual Best New Artist award against freaking Meghan Trainor, but nevertheless between her nomination and performance she secured herself an A list music career now (well, okay, a strong B list--which is still damn good).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Scott and Mitch's choices of attire are ... interesting.

I'd joke "it's a good thing Stevie can't see them", except Stevie's had himself dressed in some silly outfits over the years too (not that he could see those either).

It's consistent from stuff we've seen from both of them before though. Mitch likes androgyny and that trend (although even inside that range a topknot is rarely a good look). Scott likes loud suits, with fits to them old farts like us probably consider pretty strange.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

ohhh!!

THEY WON AGAIN!

and the EW&F Maurice White tribute is, for me, up there with their CMA performance. Maybe even higher because... ahem... Stevie Wonder! And how amazing? Also Stevie calling for accessibility wrapped in well timed humor!

Oh wow!

However.... Now that the dust has settled down a bit, I echo everyone's hope of them not being pigeonholed two-fold:

1. only boxed in the "acapella arrangment" category for all eternity. I want them to be nominated AND win a Pop category (maybe Band or Duo award but what about SOTY, ROTY or AOTY?!!!)

2. only allowed to perform TRIBUTE songs on award shows. This does nothing but perpetuate the idea that acappella groups are "cover bands".

• Love 1

Thanks for the video of PTX and Stevie Wonder, Kromm.  That was a whole lot better than the first one that came up on Youtube (where Scott is wearing a gold suit).

Kevin and Avi were the stars of that performance, to me.  I bet anyone in the crowd who hadn't heard them before was blown away.  And I dug Scott's red suit.

Mitch certainly takes sartorial risks, I'll give that to him.  I usually think they are unflattering (and he could be so striking), but I am beginning to develop a grudging respect for how he sticks to his guns.  Kirstie - beautiful, as always.

I'm glad they won for Sugar Plum Fairy, even though it's probably my least favorite from the Christmas album.  I just don't think it's very representative of their sound.  So, while I don't particularly mind that they're in a class of their own, I wish they'd promote stuff that I would consider is their best.  (Of course, it's all about me, isn't it!)  For example, instead of Can't Sleep Love and Cracked, I think they should have been doing Ain't Misbehavin' and Ref and the Imogen Heap cover (that last one makes me swoon).

Oh well, that's why there are horse races!

Once they start touring and cranking out music vids later in the year, I wonder which songs off Pentatonix will get vids. Actually, what I wonder about more is who has a say in which songs get music vid releases--Team PTX or does RCA/Sony get a say, too?

• Love 1

Once they start touring and cranking out music vids later in the year, I wonder which songs off Pentatonix will get vids. Actually, what I wonder about more is who has a say in which songs get music vid releases--Team PTX or does RCA/Sony get a say, too?

If they don't do To The River, I'm going to be angry :)

• Love 1

Thanks for the video of PTX and Stevie Wonder, Kromm.  That was a whole lot better than the first one that came up on Youtube (where Scott is wearing a gold suit).

Kevin and Avi were the stars of that performance, to me.  I bet anyone in the crowd who hadn't heard them before was blown away.  And I dug Scott's red suit.

Mitch certainly takes sartorial risks, I'll give that to him.  I usually think they are unflattering (and he could be so striking), but I am beginning to develop a grudging respect for how he sticks to his guns.  Kirstie - beautiful, as always.

I'm glad they won for Sugar Plum Fairy, even though it's probably my least favorite from the Christmas album.  I just don't think it's very representative of their sound.  So, while I don't particularly mind that they're in a class of their own, I wish they'd promote stuff that I would consider is their best.  (Of course, it's all about me, isn't it!)  For example, instead of Can't Sleep Love and Cracked, I think they should have been doing Ain't Misbehavin' and Ref and the Imogen Heap cover (that last one makes me swoon).

Oh well, that's why there are horse races!

Total opposite for me. Sugar Plum Fairy was the one that stuck out to me in a good way--the one where a lot of extra creativity was used. I personally wished MORE of the Christmas music from them took the same kind of chances (in a way Sugar Plum Fairy is the song they've had that's most like their Daft Punk song in terms of approach, which to me is why they were both nominated/won). 

Back to the Grammy tribute...

So I finally saw the intro part (I'd only seen the performance) and we have a new "Urk, the name!" incident to add to all of the people who add "The" before the group name.  Stevie didn't do that, but he pronounced it "Pentatonic" (with a c instead of an x). 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Nice little sales bump for PTX. Up 25% after the Grammy's performance.

Funny with some articles saying the tribute was too brief or tame. It was a tribute and a very last minute thing. PTX was rehearsing the whole time up until the show, they only did a couple of quick interviews and headed off the carpet to rehearse. No one knew that Wonder & PTX were going to do a little tribute until the day let alone present. No press release, nothing. Lot's of rearranging presenters and stuff. The way it all came together frantically behind the scenes is something I would want to see.

hitsdd_photo_gal__photo_275046262.png

• Love 3

@KOlusola - "Hey y'all. I had surgery yesterday after the Grammys (had my adenoids removed and my turbinates reduced). It was successful! My mom is here taking care of me. Shout out to the Osborne Head and Neck Institute and my amazing doctors who operated on me. Incredible job."

Here's to a speedy recovery Kevin!

• Love 3

Question and be mindful of my general ignorance of how these things work, but they won their Grammys for arrangement but in my non-professional opinion executed both songs intricately and flawlessly...........so is there a reason they would not be up for performance Grammys for those or are there different criteria for that?

Question and be mindful of my general ignorance of how these things work, but they won their Grammys for arrangement but in my non-professional opinion executed both songs intricately and flawlessly...........so is there a reason they would not be up for performance Grammys for those or are there different criteria for that?

Some might argue they won an arrangement award at least in part because the performance awards don't have a proper award for their category.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

They probably did for 'Best Pop Duo/Group Performance' but the only song eligible would be "Can't Sleep Love." All up to the Grammy voters.

Edited by ptxnewsandstuff

All up to the Grammy voters.

And if enough of these voters don't like a cappella (or, more specifically, don't like PTX's brand of a cappella), they may never even be considered for the bigger/more prestigious Grammy categories. Stated another way: How many Academy voters consider a cappella as music (as in, "singing without instruments isn't music")? How many voters steadfastly believe a cappella is a genre--but even more easily dismissed than, say, the Classical or Gospel genres when it comes to serious consideration for something like AOTY, ROTY, or SOTY?

And if enough of these voters don't like a cappella (or, more specifically, don't like PTX's brand of a cappella), they may never even be considered for the bigger/more prestigious Grammy categories. Stated another way: How many Academy voters consider a cappella as music (as in, "singing without instruments isn't music")? How many voters steadfastly believe a cappella is a genre--but even more easily dismissed than, say, the Classical or Gospel genres when it comes to serious consideration for something like AOTY, ROTY, or SOTY?

Those biggest awards are to a large degree sales-driven. So yes. Classical, Gospel, and A Capella likely won't EVER win them.

Those biggest awards are to a large degree sales-driven. So yes. Classical, Gospel, and A Capella likely won't EVER win them.

And as the most recent conversation: how many Rap/Urban/Hiphop album has ever won A/S/ROTY? Unless Pentatonix makes Taylor or Adele type numbers to make it absolutely unavoidable for voters to consider a nomination somehow. And even then no guarantee of a win.

Was the only one close enough Bobby McFerrin? he got SOTY and ROTY "only". Has any pure a cappella album ever won Grammy AOTY?

Btw, slightly tangential but maybe related (but maybe lots of he says-she says/unsubtantiated claim), but an RCA artist Mike Posner accused RCA of mismanaging artists.

What do you think about them and Pentatonix?

So far I have seen that whatever achievements PTX has is more skewed to PTX's own savviness and minimal RCA contribution (in that RCA is useful only for its global ready-made mainstream network)?

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/magazine-feature/6866982/mike-posner-on-i-took-a-pill-in-ibiza-avicii-new-music

I'm not saying that RCA completely shortchanged PTX, to be sure they have perhaps opened doors. But could they have done more?

A quick check on Wikipedia leads me to believe that McFerrin's Simple Pleasures album (which included Don't Worry, Be Happy) wasn't even nominated for AOTY. We've talked about this upthread, too, but could high-profile collabs be PTX's way into a nom for something like AOTY? I'm focusing on AOTY because if they ever put out a non-holiday album that somehow goes multi-platinum during the Grammy eligibility period...could that achievement be enough to at least get them a nomination?

Is an award like Best Pop Vocal sales-driven (i.e., no consideration for aesthetic appeal or "quality" of singing)? Should I be so cynical to think that if enough people bought pop song A versus pop songs B/C/D/E, then pop song A must be the Best Pop Vocal? Hmm, is this award given to a solo artist only (no collabs, no one-singer-but-part-of-a-band)?

I wish I could read that entire BB interview with Mike Posner. And my gut is telling me that PTX *is* doing much of the driving of their career (outside of access to RCA songwriters and time in top-notch recording studios). Perhaps what this is is a chicken-and-egg situation: RCA's spent some $$ on them and from their perspective the return on investment has been good. However, they are following PTX's lead to see if PTX themselves can be bigger than they ever dreamed. Should that happen, then RCA would be justified in spending more on them.

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

Every label mismanages their artists. Bias towards the bigger artists. Everything is about the $$$. Latest coming out of RCA is Tinashe who claims that they are pouring all their focus into Zayn. It's all up to you and PTX has an excellent team behind them. Kudos to RCA so far, they were the ones that pushed CSL onto the radio. With all the buzz around PTX, don't see RCA ditching them anytime soon.

• Love 1

I don't really think there's a way to make "Be Our Guest" cool. It's kind of an inherent piece of massive cheese.

It's well sung by them of course. The middle part where they try to make it sound a little more er... contemporary helps a bit, but there's a limit how much it can do when the main melody is still... what it is. 

• Love 1
(edited)

That cyber security video was adorable.  It always boggles my mind when they perform Daft Punk live - to change the lyrics at this point makes them even more crazy talented than ever.

I also thought the sound on the video was remarkably clear.  You could hear the different voices better than usual.  

Scott looked so tired.  Mitch has finally got a handle on his hair.  Hooray!

Thank you, ptxnewsandstuff.

ETA:

Cool rendition of 'Be Our Guest.' Liked the mix of a cappella and instruments for once. Definitely worked as an opener.

That was awesome.  Loved hearing Kirstie singing lead.

Such a long dance number!  The dancers did a good job, and they moved so quickly that I almost wasn't bothered by seeing so much skin at Disneyland.  (I wonder if that matters to anyone else anymore.)

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 1

Cello. KO & Adele. Yes.

...and every once in awhile during the vid you can see either the back or one side of Ben Bram's head as he's playing piano.

Pivot: Any new scuttlebutt regarding Avi's "Samson Project"?

• Love 1

Pivot: Any new scuttlebutt regarding Avi's "Samson Project"?

#Soon

A Cappella Academy is hosting a benefit concert this Monday featuring Avi, India Carney, Mario Jose & Rozzi Crane where all proceeds will go towards their scholarship fund. Streaming live @ $10 a ticket, check it out! Also, Katherine Ho a former attendee is on The Voice this season.

(edited)

Ptxnewsandstuff, thanks for linking to the Japan concert channel on your Twitter account!

Very cool concert. Although I will admit that the Bach piece was ruined for me by the West Wing episode "Noel." Can't divorce that music from a person's emotional breakdown.

Question from people more hip to contemporary music than me--what are the two new covers that they did? I have no idea whatsoever.

Edited by Sharpie66

Question from people more hip to contemporary music than me--what are the two new covers that they did? I have no idea whatsoever.

Love Yourself - Bieber

No - Meghan Trainor

Bach's 'Cello Suite No. 1' getting the KO treatment. Such a classic and his take on it is so awesome.

• Love 3

As mentioned upthread, If I Ever Fall In Love is in rotation at various radio stations across the U.S., and the music vid was uploaded to YT a few days ago.

Superfruit also recently put up an Anti medley vid on YT (Rihanna's latest album). I have only one Rihanna song on my iPhone (Pon De Replay). Let's just say, I like the songs on Anti--as performed by Scott and Mitch.

Also, the tour seems to be going well. PTX and Us The Duo are being praised, but AJ Lehrman is getting what appears to be mixed reactions. I didn't know he was part of the tour until a couple of weeks ago. I have no idea how he got attached to this--RCA directive? Anyway, he leads off the night, followed by Us The Duo--who open for PTX. So, an opener for the opener?

Most of the concert vids uploaded to YT by fans/attendees aren't high quality, so I can't get a good sense of how PTX's sound is holding up in an arena setting--but I think it's coming across well (perhaps due to better house sound systems and/or kick-ass sound engineer). At any rate, the line-blurring continues with respect to having them look and sound more like a band with instruments. I know some parts of the fanbase are uneasy about this, but I'm enjoying the ride.

Edited by SrPab

Their latest single has cracked into the top 50 on Hot AC radio. Yay!

If you haven't been yet or you can't attend, don't fret! Flew out to see their 2nd show of tour. Sound is awesome. Their sound engineers are the bomb or maybe it's just Avi. Don't want to spoil stuff but it really feels like any typical concert you would attend of a major pop artist. The production value for this tour is insane, oh how far they've come. Thought the choreography might affect their singing but no they just flat out go for everything. Think they have found the right balance between dancing and singing. Scott does go a little out of breath sometimes, that's understandable, they've probably gotten use to by now anyways. LITH is something that you have to hear in the flesh. To silence an entire arena for that long is a feat. I had goosebumps and maybe a few tears. Who knew an a cappella group could continuously pull 5000+ ppl to see their show? It's crazy. Not sure about the sound at outdoor venues though. Don't think they worry about these things anyway. They've got a whole team of professionals behind them.

As for the openers, Us The Duo are great before the crazy, high energy PTX provides. Fellow social media superstars! Excellent pairing. AJ is okay, just another baby pop artist and vine star. Lol but some his choreo choices were bleh. Also saying 'The' is a sin.

Kevin deserves a mention because he just does. This man is a machine. A genius. Everything. A well deserved standing ovation he got for his cello performance but his little cameos in certain songs were just amazing. Beatboxing and stomping at the same time as well, jeez Kevin. Also, if you haven't listened to this podcast he was recently on, it is a must listen. Put it on the way to work or whatever, inspiring. 

I mean. Look at them. They just need to come back around to the East Coast. A legion of fans await :)

Pentatonix-in-concert-live-at-Sprint-Cen

• Love 4

Kevin deserves a mention because he just does. This man is a machine. A genius. Everything. A well deserved standing ovation he got for his cello performance but his little cameos in certain songs were just amazing. Beatboxing and stomping at the same time as well, jeez Kevin. Also, if you haven't listened to this podcast he was recently on, it is a must listen. Put it on the way to work or whatever, inspiring. 

Agree.  I saw a gif or whatever it is on Twitter I think, of him jumping around on stage like a freaking rock star.  At what point in the concert did that happen?  That and those white shoes he was wearing gave me life.

I was watching videos from their recent concerts last night, and was highly impressed with the choreo they had in Evolution of MJ. Excellent work, and it fit the material, since it was Michael Jackson they were performing.

• Love 1