Type keyword(s) to search

Pentatonix: Season 3 Champs

I've come across this in several other places (including a tweet by @ptxnewsandstuff) --> Kirstin, Mitch and Scott on May 19 episode of Fox's Bones

Scott and Mitch's characters are on an all-male college a cappella group. Kirstin's character is part of an all-female group. Some Pentaholics on Twitter want Mitch's character to be the killer. From the way the blurb reads, perhaps all three of them will have some spoken lines (interrogation sequences). PTX Librarian also posted an iMDB link to this episode--so it seems legit.

• Love 1

YEP! It's real. Tried to log in yesterday, cool revamp of the site.

Press Release is about legit as you can get. Typical formula for a procedural show is that any one of they guest roles is the killer. Could be all of them. Kudos to Bones, after 11 years on air, lots of creative thought to keep it going. An a cappella episode, who would of thought?

• Love 2
On 27/04/2016 at 1:12 PM, Sharpie66 said:

I was watching videos from their recent concerts last night, and was highly impressed with the choreo they had in Evolution of MJ. Excellent work, and it fit the material, since it was Michael Jackson they were performing.

Agreed!

12 hours ago, SrPab said:

I've come across this in several other places (including a tweet by @ptxnewsandstuff) --> Kirstin, Mitch and Scott on May 19 episode of Fox's Bones

Scott and Mitch's characters are on an all-male college a cappella group. Kirstin's character is part of an all-female group. Some Pentaholics on Twitter want Mitch's character to be the killer. From the way the blurb reads, perhaps all three of them will have some spoken lines (interrogation sequences). PTX Librarian also posted an iMDB link to this episode--so it seems legit.

Can't wait!

13 hours ago, RandomMe said:

I've not watched Bones in years, but I may have to set my DVR for that.

It sucks, but not SO badly that watching one episode will hurt (much). So likely I'll watch too.

• Love 1
(edited)

I've been meaning to ask (since the tour won't be coming to a city near me anytime soon), but if any of you have attended a concert thus far, what do you think of AJ (AJ Lehrman)? He's not regarded too well, from the tweets I've seen online. Meanwhile, Us The Duo are nearly universally praised as a solid opening act.

For their Santa Barbara concert yesterday, Mario Jose sang with them on If I Ever Fall In Love (instead of Us The Duo). Mario's put up a Periscope of it on his Twitter page --> https://twitter.com/HeyItsMarioJose. Just click the Periscope link from your desktop, and press the play button--you don't need an app. (Mario opened for PTX during their Boston stop on the OMWH tour last year.)

ETA: Go Whippersnappers! [Bones, May 19]

Edited by SrPab
On 4/27/2016 at 11:49 PM, Geeze said:

Agree.  I saw a gif or whatever it is on Twitter I think, of him jumping around on stage like a freaking rock star.  At what point in the concert did that happen?  That and those white shoes he was wearing gave me life.

SING!!! Hulk smashes the stomp pad.

They were great on Conan but I'm so ready for this single to die. Promo can stop here. RCA is pushing it to radio, its about to crack into the Top 40 of Hot AC radio (#41 this week) but next single please. Don't think it's going to crack onto Pop radio. Rose Gold would've been a better choice. If they're going to promo the song get someone else to sing Jason's part and not just Scott. There a couple of radio worthy songs. Get on it PTX!

• Love 1
On 5/1/2016 at 0:07 AM, SrPab said:

I've been meaning to ask (since the tour won't be coming to a city near me anytime soon), but if any of you have attended a concert thus far, what do you think of AJ (AJ Lehrman)? He's not regarded too well, from the tweets I've seen online. Meanwhile, Us The Duo are nearly universally praised as a solid opening act.

Wannabe popstar. Okay vocals. Cringey songs and choreo. Lack of personal space. They didn't even pick him. They have the same agents. #Connections

Did the board embedding break again?  

Interesting that Pentatonix is now enough of a brand name that you'd have a commercial meant for the general public on the power of their name.

(Okay, I just realized that just because there is a video it doesn't mean it's an actual commercial. This could be a web-only promo).

Thanks for all of the great tour pics on your Twitter feed, ptxnewsandstuff!

The arenas are really packed, and the photo of the Tulsa crowd from last night is really astounding! 10,000 people, all there to see them. That is so great!

• Love 1
(edited)

Great concert in Nashville tonight.  It did what an ideal concert probably should do - I was so happy to see them and even the songs I didn't like on the album were fantastic.  Of all of them, Mitch is consistently Un-believe-able live.  When he has his moments in the sun, my jaw drops, even though I know what he is capable of. 

Every time I've seen PTX in concert, the first few songs are a bit rough and then they settle in and the rest of the night is wonderful.  Scott is still my favorite and just exudes joy and charisma, but I have to admit he always sounds better on the albums and videos.  Maybe it's all the screaming.

Meanwhile, Us The Duo are nearly universally praised as a solid opening act.

Eh.  We weren't that impressed, sorry to say.  They definitely have good voices, but their material wasn't great.  However, they sang If I Fell with PTX tonight and I really enjoyed the 7 a capella voices together.  Much better than the Jason Derulo version.

No "Ref" and no "First Things First".  Otherwise, a solid line up consisting mostly of their original songs.  I don't like how they're staging Misbehavin', but that was my only complaint. 

Just love them.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ptxnewsandstuff said:

So awesome to see Pentaholics getting a chance to see them, from first timers to 12th concerts. So cool to see them grow from club sized venues to arenas. If you haven't...#soon

13217215_1044120152332321_8266213034898569198_o.jpg

https://www.yahoo.com/music/livenation/event/pentatonix-2016

Looking at the map, I'll guess:

• Bay Area (Oakland/San Francisco/San Jose)
  • Sacramento
  • Santa Barbara
  • Salt Lake City
  • Sioux Falls
  • Minneapolis-St Paul
  • Chicago
  • Indianapolis
  • Columbus
  • Memphis
  • Detroit
  • Buffalo or Toronto
  • Boston
  • Philadelphia
  • Hartford
  • Baltimore
  • Charlotte
  • Atlanta
  • New Orleans
  • Oklahoma City
  • Dallas-Ft Worth
  • Houston

So will it be in July or after Japan's Summer Sonic festival?

Well, that live stream went relatively well! Except for the first couple of songs when I could have sworn that Kirstin's mike wasn't even on, and just a few little hiccups in the transmission, they sounded and looked really good. Too bad they couldn't balance just a taste of the crowd noise, because it sounded like they weren't into it at all even though I know that they were. Also, I just wish one of the camera crew had turned around and scanned the crowd during Light in the Hallway. 

• Love 2
(edited)

The additional dates go from October through just before Thanksgiving. Here in Chicagoland, they're playing at the Allstate Arena. I saw Billy Joel there back in the mid-'80s when he was touring to support his '50s-style album An Innocent Man (including the doo-wop a cappella song "The Longest Time," btw!), and that was pretty much the peak of his career in terms of #1 hits. I cannot believe that Pentatonix is playing there!

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 2

A thousand thanks, ptxnewsandstuff!!  I got home from work yesterday only to realize I had just missed it.

Just viewed it and for the first time I can say I can see their vision for bigger and glitzier.  It felt rock star.  I loved my pentababies to death but I can see that they are now pentastars and the ceiling can't hold them.  It just feels like they've arrived.

They must have used The Force or a mean rack of ribs to even get Avi to AGREE to do choreo on a regular basis.  What I would give to have been a fly on the wall for that discussion.

I don't know if it works differently on a Mac, but I know there have been issues with older machines and programs (both Mac and PCs).

Since your first post had the link, I just cleaned out the extra stuff, and the link popped up, but there was no link with the second post. You may want to head over to the Bugs forum and ask our illustrious leader about that, @SrPab - sorry I can't help more!

2 hours ago, kilomperrara said:

Found a live, unmiked version of Daft Punk.  This was private performance granted via Make a Wish, and they sound great without any amp or other electronics.  Because of the internet, there happen to be a lot of nasty comments, but I always like it when these little performances confirm the tremendous abilities they have.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw4YCsHXKgI

Reddit? Discovered this video from there, comments are hilarious.

(edited)

Actually I've noticed a few of these Private Performance videos (usually backstage at shows) over time. Literally just YouTube search this exact phrase "pentatonix private performance". 

They always sound great--proving it's the damn staging. PTX is really an act meant for anyplace other than an arena. But that's how they reach the most fans, isn't it? 

Most often this one below seems to be the one they sing. BTW: People DO pay for the privilege. It seems to be part of some kind of $300 backstage pass.  I suppose the Make A Wish one wasn't part of that though (unless maybe in that case some of the people there paid via a charity donation, while they performed for a Make A Wish kid or something like that).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
On 5/13/2016 at 7:54 PM, SrPab said:

OMG, they have spoken lines!

Not surprised that Mitch is very good at panicked babbling. They found something that's in his wheelhouse!

• Love 3

You can buy VIP addons to the concert tickets.  The addons include meeting them backstage, taking selfies with them, attending a soundcheck, getting front row seats, etc.  The highest price VIP includes a private performance of 1 song.  From what I have heard of the private performances, there are usually only a handful of people in attendance.  The tour before the current tour, the private song was "Valentine".  For this tour, it is "Take me Home".  I think the Daft punk performance was only for the Make a wish group.

(edited)

Forgot that they were theatre geeks. Lets see how it translates, hehe, acting chops can't be that bad. Intrigued at Kirstin and Mitch as they were into it. Wasn't she majoring in it as well? Her dream was Broadway stuff. If you want some cringeworthy acting though, check out Scott's audition for High School Musical. Good fun.

Edited by ptxnewsandstuff
(edited)
4 hours ago, ptxnewsandstuff said:

Forgot that they were theatre geeks. Lets see how it translates, hehe, acting chops can't be that bad. Intrigued at Kirstin and Mitch as they were into it. Wasn't she majoring in it as well? Her dream was Broadway stuff. If you want some cringeworthy acting though, check out Scott's audition for High School Musical. Good fun.

Scott is indeed the one I've heard in interviews (for Pitch Perfect 2) rag on his own acting abilities. The other two are the ones with the footage out there of them actually performing in shows. It wouldn't surprise me if Avi has some theater experience too, although I haven't seen footage (and I guess he was elsewhere totally when this Bones episode was shot). 

As for Kirstin and Broadway?  I have little doubt in a few years when PTX slow down, someone in some Broadway production will dangle some project in front of her to leverage her name, one of those limited runs at the very least where a "name" takes over a starring role for a hit show for a month or two, so they can promote the hell out of it (I suppose people who've never lived in New York might not be as aware of the phenomenon). Actually opening a show is the tougher hill to climb (although the riskier one too). 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Kromm said:

As for Kirstin and Broadway?  I have little doubt in a few years when PTX slow down, someone in some Broadway production will dangle some project in front of her to leverage her name, one of those limited runs at the very least where a "name" takes over a starring role for a hit show for a month or two, so they can promote the hell out of it (I suppose people who've never lived in New York might not be as aware of the phenomenon). Actually opening a show is the tougher hill to climb (although the riskier one too). 

Can totally see that happening. Would totally snap up a ticket to see it.

As for Avi and Kevin, don't think they would be as comfortable on screen as the trio. In the Bones episode where they are a part of a cappella groups, they used UCLA's Bruin Harmony (guys) and Random Voices (females). 

Somewhere, I ran across Pentaholic reactions to the Rolling Stone review of the album, "Pentatonix."  I didn't bother with reading the review because visceral, volcanic rage.............I remember my reaction to the PBS interview and I don't have enough Valium for that right now.

Anyhoo, it occurred to me that Pentatonix doesn't so much perform covers, originals or cereal box ingredient lists as transcend whatever material they arrange.  If it's a song you hated, you like their version, if it's a song you loved, you really love their version.  So, whatever the reviewer thought of the content of the album, I don't see how she could do anything other than acknowledge and respect the performance.  It stands to reason if they transcend other folks' material, they certainly would transcend their own.

Is that a fair assessment or am I looking at it through Pentatonix-colored glasses?

• Love 1

I think a lot of negative reviews of PTX and other a cappella groups derives from the reviewer's contempt for the genre. The reviews try and cover up that contempt, usually, but in the end, that is the sum of their complaints about Pentatonix. Jezebel recently had a fan of a cappella post a list of YT videos of covers that she really liked, including PTX's video for "Where Are U Now?" Another Jezebel writer who is not an a cappella fan admitted that the music of that song was good, but the video just annoyed her so much that she "wanted to punch all of them in their perfect white teeth." That is someone with a lot of anger towards a cappella singers, I think!

Anyway, IcompletelyON, it looks like the Bones episode tonight is going to also feature "Light in the Hallway," I'm guessing played over a montage at the end of the episode as whatever emotional B-plot wraps up.

• Love 1
(edited)

That's my usual takeaway from these online articles and comments, too. Either the person doesn't like a cappella music at all, or doesn't like the kind of a cappella PTX does (i.e., this person prefers jazz a cappella or doo-wop or barbershop). Which is fine--but I'd rather that that be stated plainly, instead of trying to pass off passive-aggressive wordplay/damning-with-faint-praise as a cogent argument. Like what you like; dislike what you dislike. One needn't tie oneself into knots conveying personal preference *to me*.

Another consideration is that perhaps in this world of so much auto-tuned music, the default reaction to professionally recorded and produced a cappella is to claim every second of it must be auto-tuned. I don't doubt some auto-tune can be found in PTX's music, but I think you'll find more of things like (Celemony) Melodyne, triple-tracking, EQ, reverb--and none of these have to do with the Antares Auto-tune plug-in. It is odd (or not so odd) that some are ragging on PTX for that off-mic Daft Punk performance. Do these same folks know what good musicianship is? Some sounds that Kevin makes are best experienced on-mic; some sounds he can't do unless he's got a mic. Likewise, any number of Avi's low notes just don't hit a listener's ear unless he's on-mic.

That reminds me of something I meant to post earlier: is it time to go "short" on a cappella (in the U.S., at least)? In other words, are its 15 minutes up? I stalk the FB profiles of a number of a cappella insiders and I'm getting the sense that the rising tide (The Sing-Off, Pitch Perfect, various aca-themed tv shows, PTX) is not lifting all boats, so to speak. It may be too early to make that call since PP3 doesn't release until next summer. Of course, I don't think PTX will drop off the face of the Earth anytime soon. But unless you believe groups like The Exchange, VoicePlay, The Filharmonic, and Gentleman's Rule are going to break through to the next level, perhaps you may be onto something. What about Straight No Chaser and Home Free--do they have any more upside?

Without a show like The Sing-Off possibly launching another prominent a cappella group, what other path to fame and fortune is there for a cappella? I suppose there could be another SNC, but could there be another PTX?

Edited by SrPab
  • Love 1

Overall review: best actor--Mitch. Scott and Kirstin were okay, but Mitch was the funniest and most natural of the three. The songs the two groups performed were all right, but I thought that Kirstin's lip-syncing was a bit off and the mash-up the guys did was a bit meh. The snippet of "Light in the Hallway" was way too short. Nice to see the exposure the three got, though!

• Love 2

Lol. Had a pun-tastic time. Live tweeting is fun. https://twitter.com/ptxnewsandstuff

Yes, Mitch was definitely the better of the three. Interesting lines, gotta work with what you're given. Was all good fun. Hopefully than can keep getting these small guest roles. Got the killer wrong and placing LITH in that particular scene was weird.

6 hours ago, SrPab said:

That's my usual takeaway from these online articles and comments, too. Either the person doesn't like a cappella music at all, or doesn't like the kind of a cappella PTX does (i.e., this person prefers jazz a cappella or doo-wop or barbershop). Which is fine--but I'd rather that that be stated plainly, instead of trying to pass off passive-aggressive wordplay/damning-with-faint-praise as a cogent argument. Like what you like; dislike what you dislike. One needn't tie oneself into knots conveying personal preference *to me*.

THIS. Shout it from the roof tops. 98% of them are like this.

Glad the show actually gave them a bunch of real full numbers. I was supposing after "Glee" that Fox might feel burnt out on a capella a bit. And those longer versions posted by Kim are impressive. Not that I think any of us really want the members of Pentatonix to spend too much of their time doing more traditional a capella (not that those don't include a lot of Pentatonix like elements now), but you can see how easy it was for all three of them to bring their flavor in combination with the two UCLA groups. 

• Love 1

Unsurprisingly, I've come across a few tweets and FB posts--that don't read as humorous or benignly sarcastic--lamenting that Kirstin's engagement ring isn't big enough. There was also an FB post (put up just a few hours after it became a given that Kirstin and Jeremy got engaged, I think) where the "well-wisher" advised Kirstin to always keep her friends and family close(r) and to put the marriage in the background/have it come second as a life priority.

Is my misandry showing yet?