Type keyword(s) to search

Bolshoi Babylon

• Start Topic

I saw this a few months ago, and it seemed like although they thought it was going to be a true crime sort of story going in, it ended up being all about arts administration, instead. So if you were going in looking for more on the acid attack it would absolutely be disappointing; if you were interested in how fancy arts organizations work, it's more compelling.

• Love 1

I actually am interested in that, and don't particularly care that the word "Babylon" is a bit of a mislabel, but regardless of the subject, this one's just a little hard to plug into, for me. I don't think quite enough is done to compensate for the combination of the subtitles and the native Russian opacity at times.

I didn't hate it, I just wanted to like it more.

• Love 1

I was frustrated because they drew out the boring stuff, and quickly glossed over the Babylonian stuff. Why did Filin (ostensibly) get acid thrown on his face? SPOILER ALERT because someone's GF didn't get a lead part??? They spend two seconds mentioning Filin allegedly bilked funds (probably to pay to get his casting couch fumigated). One of the dancers goes on and on about what a hard life it is... then mumbles unless you prostitute yourself to a wealthy patron. They go on-and-on about how the scandal is a national disgrace, without contrasting how in other Western cultures the scandal would boost the drama.

I was frustrated because they drew out the boring stuff, and quickly glossed over the Babylonian stuff. Why did Filin (ostensibly) get acid thrown on his face? SPOILER ALERT because someone's GF didn't get a lead part??? They spend two seconds mentioning Filin allegedly bilked funds (probably to pay to get his casting couch fumigated). One of the dancers goes on and on about what a hard life it is... then mumbles unless you prostitute yourself to a wealthy patron. They go on-and-on about how the scandal is a national disgrace, without contrasting how in other Western cultures the scandal would boost the drama.

I agree, I feel like they left out a bunch of the story, like what exactly was wrong at the Bolshoi? We got a bunch of people saying how it wasn't like it used to be, but I still don't know what the difference is or why the last director was replaced, & the story about the acid throwing seemed just skimmed over to me.