Type keyword(s) to search

King Richard: Former Villain/Hero's New Bestie

A topic for Richard!

Normally I'd be annoyed that the show used the trite sob story for the villain, but the way Richard was portrayed, he wasn't exactly a hard core villain. He hasn't really done anything unforgivable. He may have forced Madalena to marry him, but she went willingly, and it's obvious she was the one that goaded him into taking over Valencia. And even if she didn't, Izzy's parents are kind of awful at the moment so...

In any case, Richard is so hilarious, good or bad.

A topic for Richard!

Normally I'd be annoyed that the show used the trite sob story for the villain, but the way Richard was portrayed, he wasn't exactly a hard core villain. He hasn't really done anything unforgivable. He may have forced Madalena to marry him, but she went willingly, and it's obvious she was the one that goaded him into taking over Valencia. And even if she didn't, Izzy's parents are kind of awful at the moment so...

In any case, Richard is so hilarious, good or bad.

Except his first solo in S1 he sings about starting a genocidal war.  And he tells the King & Queen of Valencia that he'll stop the pillaging and killing yada yada yada if they'll just give him the jewel of Valencia.  And he says "I haven't killed anyone this week".  Plus he has the eunuch killed for pointing out that Madalena is boinking the jester. 

Mind you, all of that is played for laughs but he's no saint, not by a long stretch.  In the overall scheme of worst monarchs/dictators ever he is hardly at the level of Ivan the Terrible or Vlad the Impaler, nor do I think he rises to the level of Regina from OUAT, however he's done some pretty unforgivable things as a ruler.  Plus, he was more than okay with killing Kingsley in the season finale.  The only thing that gave him pause was his attire and that pause lasted the length of a comedy beat.

I don't think that Izzy's parents were awful.  Yes, they arranged for her to marry her cousin but that was pretty typical for royal families up until the last 75-100 years.  They seemed to be pretty benign rulers apart from that, and they certainly trained Isabella to become a queen herself when they passed away (similar to the real Kingdom of Castile). 

Frankly, I think Richard has to become a much more self-aware, decent human being and benevolent ruler before he earns any happy ending.

• Love 1

Richard is hands down my favorite character. It also doesn't hurt that he's played by the brilliant Tim Omundson.  I LOVED the unicorn following him around. Although I would like to see them reunited at some point in the future. His wanting to be lifted at the Enchanted Forest was hilarious! 

• Love 4

I just realized that Richard has a lot in common with the Beast from Beauty and the Beast! Both start out as bullies, but later it turns out that they aren't evil as much as spoiled, insecure manchildren lacking social skills. Also they are both pretty adorkable (the Beast especially in the Broadway show).

• Love 1