Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Esther

Sandrine hands her daughter Audrey over to Pierre's men who keep her in the cellar.  Adele and Simon begin to grow closer while taking refuge in a church.  Julie has found Victor's father, who is now an old man in a coma and holds a dark secret.

This was one of my favorite shows last year and I was just enthralled with the acting, the music, the visuals everything. This season I am feeling kind of confused and it has lost it's magic. There are just so many people and so many stories. Last season there were a lot of individual stories of people being returned, but they were all unified because it was simply the backstories of the various returned. There was also the mystery of Viktor/Louis and of course the murders in the tunnel.

Now, there are many more things going on and I don't understand all of them. I don't understand the big groups of returned who seem vaguely threatening. Are they evil? Are they beating or killing people or is someone else doing it? There also seems to be more scenes of various "good" returned standing around and staring out windows. What does it all mean? And I still have no clue if Viktor is good or bad although the boy is a very good in the part.

I hope if nothing else we find out why/if Simon committed suicide, why Camille was the first returned and if she has some significant role to play, and why Adele's baby is important. Also want to know if Julie can have any kind of happy ending. Also, what is with the nurse at the hospital where Julie was staying? Why is so determined to keep Julie there? The show continues to pose interesting questions, but I need some answers rather than more questions. It still is beautifully shot and scored.

• Love 1
(edited)

Like Madding crowd

This was one of my favorite shows last year and I was just enthralled with the acting, the music, the visuals everything. This season I am feeling kind of confused and it has lost it's magic.

I feel the same although the show hasn't lost it's magic for me.  I eagerly await each week's episodes even though they continue to add more questions than give answers and there are only two episodes left to resolve many of the show's mysteries.  Worst was the ending scene for this week's episode when they revealed Victor popping in to join some family in what looked like a cabin in the woods.  Seemed I had seen this before but perusing the episodes in season 2 again I didn't see it.  I have no idea who these two people are?  Any guesses? 

The acting, music and the stunning cinematography continue to be first rate.  One scene just took my breath away which I'll relay in this week's summary for another new character, Esther.

PROLOGUE: 10 years ago (Yeah, it's not 35 years ago!)

Esther is leaving the Lake Pub heading for the tunnel.  A voice says: Don't go there.  She turns around to see Victor who is frightened and shaking.  The scene is done with us seeing her moving closer to Victor ****

E: You scared me.  Uh.  What are you doing here?  Are you lost?  Are you OK?  V: Don't go near the tunnel.

E: What's in the tunnel?  Is there something that scares you?  Do you live around here?  V: Don't go in there.

E: Come with me.  I'll take you home.

Victor glances to the left and we see Serge grab and drag her into the tunnel to kill Esther.  While she is being killed Victor turns around and walks away as we hear Serge say, It's over.  You'll be okay.

Serge's Cabin:

Serge awakens and we see that Esther is looking at him from the doorway.  He gets up and his 7 other victims are still there.  He goes out to Toni who is chopping woods.  (This was the scene which took my breath away.  The beautiful snowy mountainous backdrop looked like a painting right out of the Louvre.)

S: I want them to leave now.  You never should have let them in.  (He didn't.)

T: We can't do that Serge.  Where would they go?  S: That's not our problem. 

T: Yes it is, Serge.  It is our problem.  I think I know one of them.  She worked in the bank.  She often came to the Lake Pub.  She was very nice.  She lived with her parents in the town center behind the library.  Her name's Esther.  Do you think that her parents are still there?

S: No. They're bound to have left.  T: You don't know that.  What if they're still there?  We have to go there Serge.  You have to take their daughter back to them.

S: No.  T: You have to do it.  You must make amends.  it's a bit like you're being given a second chance.

S: I haven't asked for one.  T: I'll help you Serge.

I loved the scene-ending SLOW PAN back to the cabin window with a reflection of Toni comforting Serge and Esther watching them.  It ends with the 3 of them leaving the cabin.

The Woods:

Jerome and Berg are walking heading to the Domaine.  Berg asks Jerome if he is lost who says that he didn't think it was such a long way.  J: We must carry on.  They reach another chasm w/Jerome asking, What the Hell is this?  Berg tells him that he's seen another one like this by the old dam.

J: Maybe it was them.  Maybe they did it.  (Them, who is Them? One more question to be answered.)

They hear a snapping of wood and Berg says, There's someone up there.  They see a man walking and they follow him.

Camille's Bedroom:

She's sleeping when Virgil comes in the usual way thru the window and kisses her.  She says, I hoped you'd come.

Lena is downstairs looking outside while her mother is in the kitchen humming.  She enters and when her mother sees her she says, Ay, mon cheri!  Would you like some coffee?  L: Yes

Claire: You're looking better.  Is your sister still asleep?

Lena: I don't know.  Claire: I'll go see.  She goes upstairs and finds Camille with Virgil.

Then comes another confusing scene that creates more mystery and questions:

Claire grabs a pair of scissors. 

Camille: Maman (Think I need to count how many times I heard this in the episode by Camille, Lena and Audrey.  On second thought I won't.  I heard it enough in the episode to last me a lifetime!)  Claire: Go Away!  Lena: Maman?  Virgil: Calm down.  Claire: Leave.  Lena: What's going on?  Camille: Maman, stop it.  Virgil: Put it down.  Claire: Get out. Get out of here.  Virgil: I'm going.  He leans down and picks up a knife (does he?) and moves towards Claire.  Camille: No Maman just as we see what appears to be a knife stabbing her & Camille shouting, No Maman.  We then see Virgil with nothing in his hand but his jacket as Camille says, Maman, put the scissors down.  Let go Maman.  Are you crazy or what?  Are you crazy? ( I think I'm CRAZY as I have no idea what was happening here.)  Virgil leaves by the same way that he enters by the window. 

The Dam with the Inspectors:

So?  the level has clearly gone down. 

So it seems we're on the right track.

Another soldier arrives and says: Captain.  You're needed.  They walk thru the woods and we discover the badly decomposed body not high up in a tree but on a bush near the ground of the missing policeman.  It's Thomas!  (Hallelujah!  The Wicked Policeman is Dead!)

The Church:

Adele sees Chloe holding the baby with Simon.

C: It looks like he's smiling and shock we actually see a smile on Adele's face.

A: I'm going to make up his bottle.  We see her at a sink and who should appear in the mirror but Thomas (He's still just as ugly as he was in season 1).

T: Adele, don't be scared.  He walks towards her.  When she turns around he's gone. 

The Priest enters and tells her that there has been a development. 

Priest: Are you OK?  A: Yes. Yes I'm fine.  Priest: I'll get you a glass of water.  A: No, tell me what happened.  Priest: The soldiers have found a body...and it appears to be Thomas.  A: Aren't they sure?  P: No, but there's clearly a strong possibility.  I'm sorry Adele.  A: I want to go there.  Priest: I'm not sure that's a good idea.  A: I have to see him.

Serge, Toni and Esther and her families' apartment complex:

T: I think she lived in one of these buildings.  S: Are you sure?

Toni to Esther: Did you live here?  NO ANSWER.  Do you remember anything?  NO ANSWER

S: Don't go on.  She can't talk.  There's no point.

T: I'll see if anyone still lives here.  There's no one here.

S: Toni, now that we've brought her maybe we can leave her here.

Esther walks In the opposite direction as Toni says, Where's she going?  They follow her.

The Helping Hand:

Pierre is talking with a policeman and asks, Are you sure it's her?  He says, I'm not, but the officer who saw her at the hospital was pretty sure.  He's had her photo in front of him for the last 6 months.

P: Do you know if he was able to talk to her?

Policeman: No, he saw her in a corridor with a nurse, but she must have left almost immediately.  Is she like Toni Garrel?  P: Maybe?

Policeman: Do you want us to go to her place?  P: No, we'll handle it.

The Hospital:

Julie is sleeping.  She awakens to find fresh clothes for her.  She gets dressed and comes out to see the nurse making her bed.

N: I thought we were the same size.  J: Oh, is it yours?  N: Yes.  J: Merci. 

N: Mr. Lewanski has come out of his coma.  J: Can I see him?  N: Yes, but only for 5 minutes.

She takes Julie to his room.

J: Hello, Mr. Lewanski.  Do you recognize me?  My name's Julie.  I used to look after you at home.  Using his eyes he says yes.

I know your son Louis.  I was with him and he's well.  I know what happened to him.  And he told me about you.  And he's waiting for you.  He needs you.  You must be strong. (He begins to look anxious!)

Your wife and your son, Paul have also returned (His heartbeats begin to quicken.)

And all 3 of them are together. (His heart beats really fast!)

He tries to speak and says, MUSTN'T.  J: Mustn't what?  I don't understand.

The nurse returns saying, What's happening?  J: I don't know.  Another nurse enters and tells Julie to move away.

Nurse: Stay with us Mr. Lewanski (Julie is now watching thru a door window in the hallway.)

Lie him completely flat.  We're taking care of you Mr. Lewanski.

The Church:

Adele is with Chloe and Simon. She picks up the Baby and Simon asks, What are you doing? 

A: I'm going to the police station with Nathan.  They'll see that he is OK. 

S: What?  They won't let you leave again.  They'll keep him.

A: They have no reason to keep him.  I've done nothing wrong.  To Chloe she says, Come on but Chloe says No. I want to stay with Dad. 

A: As you wish and she leaves.

The Hospital:

The nurse goes to Julie's room and Julie asks her, How is he? 

N: He's stable but very weak.  Who are you?  J: I told you. 

N: Stop lying to me now.  You're just telling me stories.  I trusted you.  I allowed you to see him.  Because of you Mr. Lewanski went into cardiac arrest.  J: I'm sorry

N: Are you really a nurse?  J: Yes.

N: What happened?  J: Well, nothing...I don't know.

N: Were you able to talk to him?  J: Yes, a little bit.

N: What did you say to him?  J: Well, it's complicated.

N: Why don't you trust me?  J: You wouldn't believe me anyway.  N: I would.  J: No.  N: Try.

J: Mr. Lewanski is...He's the father of a little boy I know.  I looked after him for awhile and...I talked about him.  That's all.

N: A little boy?  J: Yes. N: Paul?  J: No Victor, Louis.

N: In his medical records it says that Mr. Lewanski only had one son.  He died 35 years ago.  His name was Paul.  Who is this child that you're talking about?

J: He had 2 children...2 boys.

N: Not according to his medical records.  When would this child have been born?

Victor:

He's hallucinating: Hospital hallway; Victor walking towards a dark hooded body; Julie's apartment staircase; quick flash of a room that I didn't recognize; Victor moving closer to the hooded person; Lucy who says to Victor, You must help us!.  The hooded figure turns around and we see Julie who jumps.  Victor awakens in a sweat.  (This had better not mean an unhappy ending for Julie!)

We see Mrs. Costas smoking in the doorway again. (Guess smoking doesn't kill her after all!)

Mrs C: My goodness, you're a restless sleeper.  She hears noises and says, What's that?  We hear footsteps and she says, Someone's here Come on.  They run to hide in the bathroom.  Someone begins pulling on the doorknobs and then breaks in.  It's Lucho from the Helping Hand.  She says, Oh damn it's you.  They get up to walk out when Frederic appears with a gun.

The Helping Hand:

Sandrine is holding her comatose husband's hand.  She walks to the cellar and this scene is where we heard the infamous, Help me, Maman over and over again.  Sandrine is standing outside the room and hears the following:

Voice: We just want you to tell us where are the others?  A: I don't know.

Voice: What are those abrasions?  A: I don't know.

Voice: See if she's got anymore on her.  A: Maman.  Voice: Stop moving!  A: Let go of me.  Voice: Stop moving!

The door opens and Pierre exits as Sandrine says, What are you doing to her?  P: Nothing.  Come back upstairs with me.

S: I want to see her.  P: That's not possible.  S: Just 5 minutes please.

A: Let go of me.  S:  I need to see that she's not Audrey, that she's not her, that she doesn't look like her. 

P: Sandrine.  She does look like her.  She's more or less identical. She has her voice and her eyes, but she's not your daughter.  She is here to deceive you.  Audrey is dead.  She won't return,

S: I don't know if I can bear this.

P: We'll help you.  (Fat chance of that!)  They must be somewhere close by.  We must find their weak spot.  Thanks to you...thanks to your clear thinking...to your trust we have a hope of discovering it.

A: Maman.  Maman.   Voice: Quiet down.  P: Come with me and they exit the cellar.

The Forest:

The man is still walking followed by Jerome and Berg.  They watch as he meets Virgil and other Returned arrive.

B: Do you think they're some of them?  J: Probably. 

B: Is it possible to recognize them?  J: What do you mean?  B: Do they have distinguishing marks?  J: No. Camille hasn't changed.  Neither has Audrey.

Virgil walks off with 4 other Returned and they follow them.

The Domaine:

Claire is on the couch with Lena bringing her a blanket.

L: Feeling better?  C: He wanted to force her to go with them.  I couldn't let him do that.  I had to stop him.  I have to protect her.  We must protect her.  Camille isn't like them.  L: You should get some sleep.  C: You're right.  She lays down on the couch and says, Darling Lena will you stay with me for awhile?  L: Yes.

Lena is with Camille in her room.

L: Was he the guy I saw yesterday?  C: His name is Virgil.

L: You mustn't let him come into the house. 

C: Didn't you do the same thing with Frederic?  If you're scared of Virgil be scared of me.  We're the same.

L: Stop it.  They're not like you.  They can hurt us.  C: No.

L: Mom told me what happened when you tried to leave.  C: What did she tell you?

L: That they attacked you both and they beat her till she passed out.

C: No one attacked her.  it's like earlier.  She hit herself.  You saw what happened didn't you?  Virgil didn't want to harm her.

L: Why would she do that?  C: I don't know.

L: So they didn't attack you.  C: No.  They were all around us but they didn't come near us.  Mom thought they were attacking her, but it wasn't them.  It was her.  I had to force her to stop hitting herself.  Her face was bleeding.  Virgil told me (in the preceding episode) he can get you and Mom away from here.  We should listen to him.  You can't stay here.  She'll end up killing herself.

L: It's out of the question for us to leave you here on your own.  OK?  I'll never leave you on your own again (Oh no, I think their deaths are coming soon.)  Camille looks sadly away as she says this.

The Police Headquarters:

Adele arrives with the Baby and the Priest.  She goes off with a policeman leaving the Baby with the Priest.

Policeman: I don't quite understand.  Where was the Baby during all that time?  A: I don't know.

Policeman: Yesterday morning when you opened the door, he was outside your house.  A: Yes.

Policeman: Why didn't you come here right away?  A: I preferred to go to Father Jean Francois.  I trust him.

Policeman: Right.  Your baby will be examined to see if he's suffering any consequences from this kidnapping.  We'd like you to stay with us during that investigation.  We must be sure the baby isn't in danger.

A: How did he die?  Policeman: I can't tell you.  We're investigating.

A: I'd like to see him.  Policeman: Impossible.

A: I've waited for months.  I need to see him.

Policeman: I'm sorry.  it's the procedure.  And...after 6 months the body is...

A: I just want to feel his presence.  I won't stay long.

Policeman: The army is in charge of the investigation.

A: Please!

They take her to the morgue where she gets a few moments alone with him.  Thomas appears again when she begins to open his body bag.

Thomas: You shouldn't do that.  it would be better if you remembered me as I was, wouldn't it?

A: I want to be sure that you're dead.

Thomas: Above all, you want to know how I died.

A: Did he do it?  Did Simon do it?

Thomas: Who else? How can you trust him? You know what he's capable of, don't you?  (I refuse to believe that Simon did it and even if he did it was payback for how many times you killed him.  Die Thomas Die!)

The scene in the morgue ends with Adele looking down at his dead body bag.

A policewoman tells the Priest that Ms. Werther must stay with them for the time being and she takes the Baby.

The Church:

Simon is looking out the window.  Chloe is saying a prayer--Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with you.  Blessed are you among woman and blessed is Jesus, The.....

She turns to see Lucy who says, Hello Chloe.   Do you remember me?  Simon grabs Lucy and says, Keep away from her.

L: So you're waiting at the altar this time?  S: If you ever touch Adele...

L: No one can hurt Adele more than you.  S: Shut up!

L: You ruined her life.  You made her unhappy for eternity.  S: I love her!

L: No, you don't love her.  If you loved her you wouldn't have committed suicide.

S: I won't leave her again.  L: Then she'll end up like you...no matter what you do Simon.

S: I don't believe you anymore.  L: Of course you believe me.  Come with us.  S: No

Lucy and her two cohorts leave while Chloe hugs Simon and he says, It's over now 

(Such a sad scene for me and doesn't portend well for Adele, Chloe or Simon!)

Jerome & Berg in the woods; Julie in the hospital; Divers in the Lake--Near a Children's Crossing sign they find Milan, cut him loose and Is he alive again?  Yes, he opens his eyes!

Esther walking to the Tunnel with Serge and Toni following.  She stops.

Toni to Serge: Come on!  Ask for her forgiveness.  He pushes him down saying it again.  Serge says, Forgive me and Esther responds with Where's the little boy? 

Frederic with Lucho in the apartment:

L: What do we do now?  F: We take them back to the Helping Hand.

L: Are you sure?  Can't we leave them here?

Mrs. C: I've had enough.  Come on We should talk to Pierre.  F: Sit down again.

Mrs. C: we're not going to sit here all day.  L: Don't move. (pointing gun at Mrs. C & Victor)  Mrs. C: Or what?  L: Don't force me to use it

Mrs. C: Go on, shoot, COWBOY-LOL!

L: Shut up or I'll...& he shoots Mrs. Costas (Bah! This lady gets another Fargo style death.)

F: Damn!  What the Hell have you done?

Victor looks at them with hatred in his eyes!

Milan in the hospital with a doctor and a soldier/inspector.  (This scene starts from a distance and then moves closer and closer with the apex at the final reveal.  Loved it!)

Doctor: Do you remember your name?  Or the name of someone close to you?  Perhaps some members of your family or friends who might recognize you?  What about the people who attacked you?

Milan finally speaks...

I lost her.  Soldier: Who did you lose?

Milan: I love her.  I told her.  I'd never told her before.  But I lost her.

The Domaine:

Lena tells Camille: It's best if I go for help and you stay here till I get back.  C: What?  L: It's the only thing to do.  C: But they'll attack you.

L: You said they don't want to harm us.  It's you they want to stop from leaving.  C: How will you get out?  L: I managed to get here so I'll find the way again.  Don't worry.  I'll come back.  You look after Maman.  C: Wait Lena but she goes outside to leave.

The Helping Hand:

Sandrine is cleaning in the kitchen when Pierre answers his phone and says, What's up?  Calm down.  Calm down and tell me what's going on.

Pierre exits and Sandrine heads to the cellar:

P: Are you sure she's dead?  F: She's lost a lot of blood.  She's not breathing or moving.  Yes, I'm sure it's her.  OK.  See you soon.

Frederic comes back into the apartment and sees Lucho sitting on the window ledge.  He jumps to his death.  Soldiers arrive as Frederic leaves while Victor is panting heavily and glaring as he looks out the window.

Sandrine the Beetch is in the cellar.

Guard: I can't let you in.  Pierre...

Sandrine: Pierre sent me.  He thinks she'll be more trusting with me.  Guard: I'm sorry Sandrine.

She pulls a gun and says, Let me go in!

We see Audrey chained to the wall as she approaches her.  She touches her hair and Audrey says it again, Maman.  They hug, but NO sympathy from me for that Beetch Mother!

The Hospital:

The nurse brings food to Julie and discovers that she's gone.  She runs to stop her saying, Julie, are you leaving?  Mr. Lewanski is a little bit better.  I can't let you speak to him for the moment, not right away, but you can stay in the hospital in the meantime.  I'll tell you when.

J: No.  You're very kind but there's no point.  Nurse: Where will you go?  J: I don't know. 

Nurse: Don't go.  He needs you.  Besides, where will you live?  The place where you were living has been evacuated.  You can stay with me if you want.

J: How do you know where I live?  Nurse: You told me didn't you?  J: No.  Did you read my medical records?  N: It's just that...after what happened to Mr. Lewanski I got scared.  And you haven't told me anything about yourself so I wanted to know ...

J: So you know what happened to me?  Nurse: Yes, I'm sorry.  I shouldn't have...But I know what you suffered.  I can help you Julie.  You can recover from it.

J: You know what it is.  Nurse: Yes.  I followed the case of another patient. She was attacked too.  She was able to go back to living a normal life.  She even had another child.

J: What are you talking about?  N: What happened to you in the tunnel.  I'm sorry.  I thought that...

J: When I was attacked I was pregnant?  N: I don't know.  J: Tell me please.  N: Yes, you were pregnant.  You didn't know.  J: No.

The other nurse comes and says that Mr. Lewanski has regained consciousness and he mentioned Julie.  He's asked to see her.

The Domaine:

Lena is trying to leave.  She goes into the park and encounters the Hoarde.  She keeps repeating to herself, I'm not afraid of you.  She turns and sees her Father and Berg.  They hug and return home where the family is reunited with a group hug!

The Hospital:

Julie visits Mr. Lewanski again.

J: Ophelie said you wanted to tell me something.  Is it about Louis?  Is that it?  (He blinks yes.)

In your medical records it says that you & your wife had only one child, Paul? (He blinks yes.)

But there's nothing about Louis.  that's because he's not your son, is he? (He blinks yes.)

You adopted him (He blinks again.)

Then comes the biggest WTF moment so far in the show as we see another flashback to Victor knocking on a door.  A woman answers(Who is she?) and says, Hello!  Are you lost?  What's your name?  Victor says nothing but walks in and calmly sits down at the dinner table.  Then a man who I also didn't recognize comes in and they all look at each other.  (Just what we don't need another mystery with only two episodes left.)

Final scene is at the Domaine at Camille's house:

Jerome:  Come on.  We're all going home.  (I don't think so!)

They walk outside and the street is filled with the Returned who will NOT let them leave.

Edited by dbklmt
  • Love 1

Really enjoyed this episode, too.  The show was losing its magic a bit for me, too, when I was trying too hard to figure things out but somehow I've gotten back to just appreciating the emotions driving the scenes.  These last 2 episodes have been a real treat.  

when they revealed Victor popping in to join some family in what looked like a cabin in the woods.  Seemed I had seen this before but perusing the episodes in season 2 again I didn't see it.  I have no idea who these two people are?  Any guesses?
That was Mrs. and Mr. Lewanski.  The woman who answered the door was the same one we thought was Victor's mother.  

Poor Sandrine.  The actress is tearing my heart out a little.

I also feel bad for Claire.  She is probably realizing on some level that she will lose Camille again.  

My theory is that Lucy is trying to find the way back to the Land of the Dead, which would explain why Simon doesn't want to go with her.  I haven't worked out why she wants Adele's baby, though.  

I don't think Victor is bad/evil at all.  I'm thinking he's some kind of lost soul.  My guess is that he hasn't figured out how to stop his visions from occurring (as what he's seeing is some future event that is bound to happen), though that hasn't stopped him from trying, as we saw with Esther.  

I hope if nothing else we find out why/if Simon committed suicide
It looks as though his parents committed suicide, and he may have spent his young life being tormented by that and followed in their footsteps.  I think Father Jean-Francois admitted he wasn't surprised Simon had committed suicide during a scene in season 1.  

Also, what is with the nurse at the hospital where Julie was staying? Why is so determined to keep Julie there?
I got the feeling that nurse had a romantic crush on Julie and wanted her to stick around for the companionship.  I could have been reading into the actress-playing-the-nurse's body language, though.  
  • Love 3

dbklmt, thanks for the recap. 

While I love this show, I think there are just too many new people.  It takes away from the stories of those we already knew and wanted to learn more about.  We get new characters but they seem to go nowhere.  What did we learn about Morgane?  An entire episode titled Morgane and all we know is that he was probably killed by Milan because he was romancing Lucy.  And in the present I think that was him still sleeping with Lucy but having no impact on the story otherwise.  And now we have an episode called Esther and we find out she was killed by Serge, but in the present she does not talk and probably has no further impact to the story. 

So for the people we do care about, we found out that the Returned can make people do things, like Claire beating  herself up and thinking it's the Returned who did it.  And Claire thinking that Virgil has a weapon, but Claire is the one with the scissors.  I'm glad we finally got Jerome back with the family and I'm going to assume they all make it out of there without being harmed.  It would seem that Virgil would protect Camille, anyway.  I hope we find out more about him.  I'm curious about Berg, too.  He has just been following Jerome around like a lost puppy.  Is he a Returned?  Who is he looking for?  Didn't he say his father at one point?  Not sure if that would be anyone we've already seen.  None of the time frames we know about so far seem right.

As for Victor, I can start calling him Victor again because we now know his real name wasn't Louis anyway.  He appeared at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Lewanski 35 years ago just like he suddenly appeared to Julie in the present time.  And because of his drawings and his visions 35 years ago, Milan talked some of the men into going into Victor's home and shooting his family.  Still not sure why they wanted to kill the whole family.  But Mr Lewanski survived and is now in the hospital.  That nurse really did look like she was coming on to Julie.  I'm guessing we might know Julie's fate.  Victor said his nightmares always come true.  I wonder if we'll ever find out what happened to him before he appeared at the Lewanski's. 

I really don't care that much about Adele, or the baby.  Although I would like to know the mystery of what happened to Simon.  Even with his suicidal parents, it is hard to believe he committed suicide when he was on the brink of such a happy new life with Adele and a new baby (Chloe).  I've always thought that Thomas killed him or had him killed because he had his eye on Adele all along.  And I do believe he's lying now when he says Simon killed him.   

I'm not sure what we will learn in only two episodes left.  I love the show but I can't see how they are going to come up with another season (I hope I'm wrong there) and I can't see how they will satisfactorily explain everything us in these last two episodes.

• Love 3
I'm curious about Berg, too. He has just been following Jerome around like a lost puppy. Is he a Returned? Who is he looking for? Didn't he say his father at one point? Not sure if that would be anyone we've already seen.

Yes, we have seen his father. He's the man who found Claire when she thought she was being attacked and is in the house next door. His name is Etienne, the architect for the Dam and he's the focus of Episode 7. Obviously now that Berg is in the Domaine he'll be finding his father soon. The real question is what did he have to do with the Dam bursting since there was mention in episode 5 about why this never showed up on earlier survey maps.

My theory is that Lucy is trying to find the way back to the Land of the Dead, which would explain why Simon doesn't want to go with her.  I haven't worked out why she wants Adele's baby, though.

I agree with this.  I'm thinking that Baby Nathan represents a type of Christ Child figure but how he figures into the Land of the Dead remains to be seen.

• Love 2
Although I would like to know the mystery of what happened to Simon.  Even with his suicidal parents, it is hard to believe he committed suicide when he was on the brink of such a happy new life with Adele and a new baby (Chloe).

What if being on the brink of "happiness" was exactly what triggered him to commit suicide?  Perhaps he thought Adele could save him from himself but it seems their life together wasn't a resolution for his mental anguish.  Also consider that the internal dialogue that would motivate one to take their own life wouldn't make much sense to those on the outside looking in.  It's why suicide is so confounding to those who've not experienced that particular mind state.  

And because of his drawings and his visions 35 years ago, Milan talked some of the men into going into Victor's home and shooting his family.  Still not sure why they wanted to kill the whole family.

Mr Costa was also involved, and I'm assuming it had something to do with Victor drawing the picture of Mrs Costa drowning right before it happened.  I can't remember if the dam breaking happened before or after Mrs Costa drown.  Also, they were only supposed to scare the Lewanski family.  It was the crazy guy with Pierre who decided to start shooting.  I feel like a big part of this story is about how Victor was trying to warn/help people but many of those around him saw him as something sinister.  How perception can be deceiving.  

With only 2 episodes left, I'm not sure how much deeper they'll get into this but Milan said he told her he loved her, and I'm assuming he meant Lucy.  Perhaps he realized she was having a sexual relationship with Morgane and that's why he said something about saving Lucy from her sins.  I wouldn't mind something a little more concrete on what motivates Milan but it may be one more thing left open to interpretation.  

I keep hoping they'll explain the strange wounds on the Returned, and Lena, but I'm starting to give up hope on that, too.  I know it's unlikely all of my questions will be answered.  

Edited by enchantingmonkey
  • Love 3

enchantingmonkey, I agree with your thoughts on how you can't rationally explain suicide.  I've just never trusted Thomas. 

I didn't realize Mr Costa was one of the men who went into the Lewanski home to scare them.  

I thought Milan was talking about Lucy, too, when he said he loved her, but wasn't he married to someone else when he killed her?  I thought we saw Serge and Toni's mother in that scene where Lucy was in the pit.  Maybe that woman was just the housekeeper.  We do know that Mrs Milan was alive until after Toni killed Serge.

So many questions I'd like answered, but mainly about Victor. 

Yes, we have seen his father. He's the man who found Claire when she thought she was being attacked and is in the house next door. His name is Etienne, the architect for the Dam and he's the focus of Episode 7. Obviously now that Berg is in the Domaine he'll be finding his father soon. The real question is what did he have to do with the Dam bursting since there was mention in episode 5 about why this never showed up on earlier survey maps.

Thanks.  Yes, I see that's the title of the next episode.  I'm looking forward to it. 

I've been watching various parts of the episodes.  Mr Costa sat in the car with Milan.  Pierre and the guy who shot the members of Lewanski family were the only ones to go into the house.  Mr Costa told them to frighten the family, while Milan instructed them to do what they think is right.  That was likely a little "wink, wink, nudge nudge" for them to use their guns.  Milan had probably already killed Lucy at this point, because it appeared as though he killed her shortly after the dam broke.  I tried to figure out if Milan had killed Virgil before the dam broke but the timing wasn't that specific, from what I could tell.  The old woman Julie spoke to said Milan organized surveillance teams to deter thieves after the dam broke but I suspect he was punishing people for their "sins" before that.  After the dam broke, he probably had free reign.  

Mrs Costa died after the dam broke, as she was in the group of people looking down on the town as the water rushed in.  I'm assuming Mr Costa played a part in the attack on the Lewanski family because he was pained over his wife's demise.  

Did that sound like rambling?  I'm just trying to organize some of this in my mind, lol.  

Milan was likely married to the boys' mother but fell in love with Lucy.  She was an attractive young woman.  Maybe his guilt over that played a part in why he judged others so harshly.  But if he's murdering people, he's also dealing with some kind of mental illness.  

• Love 2

Well, let's see, Lucy has slept with Jerome, Simon, Morgane, and probably Milan (which thankfully, we didn't see).  Have I forgotten anyone?  I don't really see her as that attractive, just very willing. lol.  

Well, let's see, Lucy has slept with Jerome, Simon, Morgane, and probably Milan (which thankfully, we didn't see).  Have I forgotten anyone?  I don't really see her as that attractive, just very willing. lol.  

Don't think we saw it but this episode had Alcide meeting with Her at Adele's.  She kissed him so I'm presuming that she must have done the deed with him in the past. 

And now we have an episode called Esther and we find out she was killed by Serge, but in the present she does not talk and probably has no further impact to the story. 

She did speak at the end, which I think might wind up being significant. She talked and started looking more normal after Serge begged for forgiveness. Maybe the reason that some of the Returned come back 'different' has more to do with the dead person themselves than what Virgil said (about they're not having anyone waiting for them) - maybe it's something to do with their mindset when they died. 

Either way, it seems that they can be turned back to a more normal state, as Esther was.

Her asking about Victor is interesting, because it means she remembered what happened - maybe that's the difference? All the characters we followed in season 1 had no idea what happened to them. 

I also would like to know what is up with the nurse. I thought it might be romantic as well but who knows. 

Wasn't Lucy also sleeping with Camille and Lena's father (can't remember his name) in the first season?

Yes but wasn't this because she was a medium of sorts? She could contact the dead that way somehow, or at least that is what she said. I remember there being something weird like that going on, it wasn't a normal affair type thing. 

• Love 1

Yes but wasn't this because she was a medium of sorts? She could contact the dead that way somehow, or at least that is what she said. I remember there being something weird like that going on, it wasn't a normal affair type thing. 

It seems to me (and I may be wrong on this) that the whole "I see dead people while I'm having sex" thing happened more in the American version of The Returned.  I may have some of the plot points between the two shows mixed up.  I do know that I can't remember anyone's name in the American version (which was canceled anyway). The French is so much better.

I have not watched the American version, and I have a clear understanding that Lucy's "gift" is that she can see dead people when she has sex with a person. Somewhere that has been made clear. 

I don't think Lucy had an affair with Milan, but she may have had sex with him. I think he knew about her ability and believed it was somehow sinful or demonic. She is definitely someone important to him. 

Milan seems to believe that people are saved from some kind of sin when they are killed, so you are actually doing them a favor, and his son does the same when he murders. Serge always reassures his victims as he's stabbing them. 

Milan's wife (and Serge and Toni's mother) has been shown. She was sitting on a bed facing away from us, and also once she was shown walking around outdoors. 

I am starting to wonder if the forgiveness angle is what makes the difference. Milan seemed so different after he got hauled out of the water, as if Lucy's saying she forgave him when she dumped him in the water broke some kind of spell. And Esther seemed to snap out of her daze after Serge begged her forgiveness. 

The big hole in the ground (two? I believe) and all these complicated tunnels under the earth are all somehow connected to what is happening with these dead people.

About Simon: Remember when Lucy gave Simon and Adele's baby to the couple whose baby had died. Who turned out to be Simon's parents. Sounds to me like someone stole their baby (Simon) at birth and told them he'd died, after which they killed themselves. (Which made me think of that one guy's parents who hung themselves in order to see their dead child again.)

Somewhere we got a glimpse of his parents saying they had to "join a circle in order to move through" or something incomprehensible like that. Simon's birth and their suicide seemed to coincide with the breaking of the dam. Simon's life has somehow been poisoned by what they did, and perhaps he found out the truth about it on his wedding day, which is why he killed himself. 

The thing I keep forgetting is that when these people die, they can come right back. I was all bummed about Madame Costa getting shot, but she might be out wandering around in the woods right now for all we know. 

Further clarification that people are seeing things that aren't real -- Claire believed Virgil was attacking her, she believed the Dead Patrol were beating her when in fact she beat herself, and we saw the police officer in Julie's apartment calmly step out the window. And Adele saw Thomas in the morgue, but he was a ghost or an illusion, not a Returned. 

I have to say, I got choked up with poor Jerome was finally able to reunite with his wife and both daughters. AND when Sandrine went to Audrey and embraced her. 

Edited by lidarose9
  • Love 3

I have to say, I got choked up with poor Jerome was finally able to reunite with his wife and both daughters.

I loved this moment as well.  It showed that underneath all the other stuff that has happened, they are just like any other family that loves each other and wants to be together as a family like they used to be.  I was especially glad to see Jerome with his daughters.  The relationship with Lena has been explored a bit, but not nearly enough, but there really hasn't been much with Jerome and Camille other than early in the first season when they were talking about Jerome and Claire being separated.  I was glad to see him, and not creepy Pierre, be the one to come in and gather up his family.  I think part of his whole issue has been that he feels like he failed them in losing Camille and not being there for Lena and Claire because of his own pain and grief.

This has actually been my favorite story of Les Revenants since the first season.  The Camille/Lena/Claire/Jerome story has really been the one that has resonated the most with me for some reason.  I enjoy the other stuff for the most part, sure, but the Seguret family is what I enjoy most.  It has the least of the supernatural elements compared to the others, other than the whole Camille coming back from the dead thing and few other bits, but that's not a problem for me because it's just such an emotional journey that they're all on.  I almost feel like that Camille's return to her family is going to be their second chance to deal with losing her (I don't think she's going to be able to stay with her family, no matter how much they all fight to keep her) in a way that won't destroy them like it did the first time.  

This is all just my personal speculation, but it's like Lena, Claire, and Jerome have never been able to successfully deal with their grief and pain over losing Camille and it's torn them apart both literally and figuratively.  I think that what was literally happening with Lena in season one with that weird wound on her back that was never explained.  They never let her go.  Lena lost her twin, her other half, who she was sort of betraying when Camille was killed, and understandingly was devastated, the show opens with Claire in Camille's old room as a shrine, and Jerome's having sex with Lucy in a desperate attempt to communicate with his dead daughter.  None of them are happy or at peace with themselves or each other.  They've just been drifting and existing.  Jerome returns to that place when he loses both Camille AND Claire when they get taken to the Domain.  Lena as well.  She loses her sister again along with her mother and then Jerome abandons her emotionally for a second time.  Camille's return has allowed them to finally recover (?-I don't know if that's the right word) from her death in a way that has brought them back together.  The challenge now is, how will they cope with losing her again?  Will knowing that she's okay and (hopefully) getting to say goodbye this time make a difference for Lena/Claire/Jerome or will they go back to square one?  Their story seems the most "real," well as real as any of this can be anyway, in terms of dealing with the pain and grief of death.  

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 3

Milan seems to believe that people are saved from some kind of sin when they are killed, so you are actually doing them a favor, and his son does the same when he murders. Serge always reassures his victims as he's stabbing them. 

Ah, yes, thank you for this - I did forget about Serge's reassuring his victims and didn't really connect it to Milan's weird beliefs. This all makes sense now. 

It was really, really bothering me how Serge was becoming more kind and compassionate because I was thinking of him as a sociopathic type serial killer. But if he's simply been raised with a screwed up belief system that makes him think he's doing a good thing, that's different. And his change makes more sense then. 

Your point abut Milan and Serge makes me wonder why Serge attacked Julie.  We know that she was pregnant.  Maybe that was her sin and Serge was saving her.  I hope we find out more about that. 

I also have been meaning to say, the actress who plays Julie is just amazing. She barely speaks but communicates so much! And does such a great job of being someone who is trying to hide their feelings when they are written all over her face. 

Also, having re-watched: Were Julie and Laure a couple at the time she was attacked in the tunnel? I remember they were both in costumes for some party, but I can't remember if they were more than just friends then. Cuz I wonder who the father of that baby was. 

Which leads me to remember to ask: Does anybody else think that baby is enormous for being a few weeks old? Cuz Adele only carried him, what, 6 months? And it's only a few weeks since he was born, no? He should be tiny. That might be a super-baby.

• Love 1

It's possible there was no man involved with Julie.  She could have been artificially inseminated.  It certainly seemed like Julie and Laure were a couple on the night she was attacked by Serge in the tunnel but I don't remember there being any dialogue that stated it as a fact.  They could have just been lovers.  

That's a good observation of Serge reassuring his victims.  It ties his killings to the scene with Milan and Virgil even more than I realized.  

I rewatched the whole first season yesterday.  Yes she did tell Jerome some things about Camille and Lena but did he know of her powers before sleeping with her that first time?  They didn't show anything letting on that was the reason at first but she was very persistent with Jerome.  Maybe once the deed happened and she told him things about his daughters he just continued to see her. 

That was a big twist at the end - we'd been led to believe this whole time that the mysterious child being called "Victor" by Julie was actually a child named Louis who had been killed 35 years ago in the home of his mother, father, and brother.  Now it turns out that "Louis" wasn't any more his real identity than "Victor"! He entered the lives of the Lewanski family just like he entered Julie's life, and, like Julie, the family just sort of took him in and cared for him as their own (even officially adopting him, apparently).  We still don't know who he REALLY was before he was killed the first time, or how long ago he was first killed.

I mentioned this in another episode thread, but have they really given any explanation for why Victor/Louis has started to grow older (corresponding, obviously, with the actor growing older from 2012 to 2015)? When they showed the "35 years ago" scenes of him last season, he was the same size/age as the present day version of Victor at that time, so obviously he was supposed to be frozen at that age of when he was killed (whenever that was!).  He looked about 7 years old at the time.  This season, he looks at least 9 or 10.  In the world of the show, why would he be aging like a normal human now?

Edited by iggysaurus

That was a big twist at the end - we'd been led to believe this whole time that the mysterious child being called "Victor" by Julie was actually a child named Louis who had been killed 35 years ago in the home of his mother, father, and brother.  Now it turns out that "Louis" wasn't any more his real identity than "Victor"! He entered the lives of the Lewanski family just like he entered Julie's life, and, like Julie, the family just sort of took him in and cared for him as their own (even officially adopting him, apparently).  We still don't know who he REALLY was before he was killed the first time, or how long ago he was first killed.

I mentioned this in another episode thread, but have they really given any explanation for why Victor/Louis has started to grow older (corresponding, obviously, with the actor growing older from 2012 to 2015)? When they showed the "35 years ago" scenes of him last season, he was the same size/age as the present day version of Victor at that time, so obviously he was supposed to be frozen at that age of when he was killed (whenever that was!).  He looked about 7 years old at the time.  This season, he looks at least 9 or 10.  In the world of the show, why would he be aging like a normal human now?

Yes, the explanation they gave was that because Julie loved him he now could start to age.  I really didn't buy that in the context of the show, but I guess they had to try to explain his growth from season one to season two.  Didn't the Lewanski family take him in and love him too?  I guess they didn't love him enough.   My advice is just watch the rest of the episodes and then read the discussions in the last episode.  A lot of things were made clearer to me by all the theories that other posters had.  I'm glad you're enjoying the series.  I absolutely loved it (as did so many others who posted here).

Thanks, SierraMist! I'm watching Ep 7 now, and will definitely check out the discussion for that and S8 after I've watched it.  I do love this show and am glad there are at least a few others who are discussing it here. :)

I'm sticking with my Victor=Cassandra theory for now, as he tries to stop Esther's murder, but just delays her long enough for Serge to position himself.

Just trying to work out if he is actually present or is an hallucination / projection - we know he can do that (in close proximity) after all, and if he's not actually present it would explain the lack of aging. Quite apart from which, if he's present, then it means that Serge has the cojones to murder Esther in front of a witness, and not give a damn. I'll go with hallucination - possibly time-travelling.