Type keyword(s) to search

Eastenders (BBC) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I may have actually yelled at the screen (well, said "Gah!" at least) when Linda was THISCLOSE to telling Stacey what happened… AND THEN DEAN WALKS UP AND INTERRUPTS. This show, I swear to God...

(Although on the plus side, we all know Stacey can't keep her nose out of things, so now that she's twigged to something being up with Dean, she won't let it drop until she drags the truth out of Linda.)

I thought to myself at that moment wait, Linda hasn't been able to say anything to anyone about what happened for all of these weeks but she was potentially about to blurt it out to Stacey in the middle of the street?  Of course Dean was going to show up at that moment.  

The truth will out, of course.  Looking forward to this week's episodes.

FINALLY.  Finally, finally, finally Linda has told someone.  I just want to give her a hug.  Thank you, Stacey, for being one of the few people to actually notice that Linda looks like she wants to barf whenever Dean is around. 

Great scene, great acting.  Really looking forward to the rest of the week.

Well, technically Linda didn't tell anyone. She didn't say a word. But she didn't have to. I'm just glad someone else knows and can help her now. And bonus points for it being the person that Dean is currently dating, since that person should really know what kind of a guy he is.

Thing is, Stacey can't really move out because she's got Lily and nowhere else to go. Plus, aren't Kat and the kids staying there, too? That's a lot of people to uproot and make homeless on Christmas just so you don't have to live with a rapist.

I had forgotten that Emma had no idea that Max was the one who ratted her out to Keebler. I loved that she had that to throw back in his face after he got pissed at her for turning over Lauren's laptop. (Although it did frustrate me that she never took the angle of "I gave them the laptop so that I could clear Lauren because clearly she's not the one who killed Lucy.") Also, Cameron and his scottish accent is WAY hotter than Max. Sorry, Max. :-)

I wasn't watching the last time Dean was on, so I don't know his character's history. Was he always such a horrible little $#!t?

I do have to give them credit for throwing in that curveball. I honestly wasn't expecting Dean to drop THAT bomb on Lee. Nice deflection. Now Linda has to do damage control for that lie before she can even THINK about telling the truth about what happened with Dean. Jerk. 

And I wish Johnny wasn't leaving. I don't keep up with the gossip and casting spoilers, so I don't know if this is a permanent exit or just a temporary one. I feel like there's still WAY more for them to address with Ben, and Johnny would be the one to do that, so he should come back so they can tell that story. Also, Johnny is really cute and I'm going to miss him.

Although Kush is a fine addition, and I loved the way he melted Shabnam's icy heart with a kiss. It was actually kind of sweet.

Looks like most people should have a decent Christmas, aside from the Carters. They're going to have one hell of a day. Oh, and I suppose Kat and Stacey won't have a very merry Christmas either. Or Alfie. But in the grand scheme of things, it seems like more of Walford will be happy than not this season, so I guess that's a win? ;-)

And I wish Johnny wasn't leaving. I don't keep up with the gossip and casting spoilers, so I don't know if this is a permanent exit or just a temporary one. I feel like there's still WAY more for them to address with Ben, and Johnny would be the one to do that, so he should come back so they can tell that story. Also, Johnny is really cute and I'm going to miss him.

The actor who plays Johnny - Sam Strike- chose to leave the show.  It does suck because there was clearly a lot more story to tell with Johnny and with Johnny/Ben.

I've been watching on and off so I might have missed, has there been any mention of Shirley's daughter/Dean's sister Carly in all the Carter-ing going on?

Aw, that's too bad. Maybe they'll recast, because otherwise, I don't see any point to Ben moping around being a jerk to everyone because he's sexually frustrated and confused.

And no, I don't recall hearing anyone mention Carly, but since I'm not familiar with that particular tree, I might not have been paying enough attention and it slipped right by.

Dominic Treadwell-Collins says there are no plans to recast Johnny, at least not at the moment.

And no, there has been no mention of Carly.

Carly was mentioned by Dean not too long ago.  It may have been the episode when he raped Linda.  He said something about how Carly had named her son James after their dead brother.  Linda mentioned Johnny being named after his maternal grandfather, but I don't remember how that conversation tied in with anything else.

I wonder if we'll see Tina's daughter Zsa Zsa again in the next year.

Dean is an even bigger piece of shit now that he's threatened the woman he raped.  Who may be pregnant with his child.  Just because his girlfriend dumped him.  I'm really, really ready to see Mick go to town on Dean at Christmas.

Edited by eejm

Wow, well, where to start. 

The Mick and Linda scenes were all done very, very, very well.  Mick looked positively gutted when Linda told him about Dean, and I was so very glad that he believed her immediately.  I thought it was a good turn having the two talk things over in the living room, right where Linda had been trying to comfort Dean when everything went south.  TPTB at EastEnders really hit the jackpot by casting Kellie Bright and Danny Dyer as Linda and Mick.  They are so believable as a couple and clearly work well together.  Their scenes were all pain and raw emotion, which fit the subject matter.  Great acting on both sides. 

I also liked seeing Mick trying not to jump out of his own skin during Christmas dinner.  Not that he needed it, but he got just a taste of what Linda had been trying to do for the past three months in pretending that she was fine.  I also liked seeing Mick go after Dean.  I’m not big on violence as payback for violence, but it was understandable given Mick’s frame of mind.  I just wish Mick had gotten a few more punches in before Shirley spoke up.

As for the “He’s your brother!” reveal, I think it would have been more effective had Sylvie been the catalyst.  We saw her insisting to Mick a few weeks ago that she didn’t have son.  I would have liked to have seen Sylvie keep telling him that when he and Shirley took her lunch, then have Sylvie repeat it over Christmas dinner.  Shirley could have made the throwaway comment about wanting both Dean and Mick together at the table, prompting Mick to realize that Sylvie was telling the truth. 

I hope it doesn’t take long for Linda and Mick to find their way back to each other.  I understand why she left given Mick spilling the beans and the fact that she probably needed some time to think over everything that had happened.  It sounds as though next week will be all about the Mitchells and Cottons and that we won’t see the Carters for awhile.  While it’s nice to get a bit of a break, I feel like everything is just getting going now that all of the Carter secrets are out.  So where do the Carters go from here?

Alfie is just the worst (along with Dean of course). I honestly don't think he gets why Kat is angry.

Yeah, I also enjoyed Dean getting the crap beaten out of him. Poor Linda.

But on the upside - Stan survived Christmas! He's still alive.

Stan survived Christmas, but will he make it to the new year? ;-) (Seriously, though, I half expected him to keel over while Mick was beating the hell out of Dean)

The Mick/Linda scenes were beautifully done. I honestly expected Dean would show up for lunch and Linda would flip out and that would be where she let loose that she didn't want her rapist around. But to have her quietly confess to Mick in private was so much more powerful.

Although I did correctly predict Shirley screaming "Stop! He's your brother!" while Mick was beating on Dean. :-)

I guess it makes sense that Shirley would take Dean's side, but I'm hoping she realizes the truth of the matter soon. Although probably not, because she's going to be on the outs with the family because of her lie, so she and Dean will probably team up.

PS: Abi totally put Lucy's jewelry box under the tree, right? Right? She's totally the psycho killer. I'm more convinced than ever.

• Love 1

I guess it makes sense that Shirley would take Dean's side, but I'm hoping she realizes the truth of the matter soon.

Yeah, his story was so full of holes.  He doesn't remember Linda saying anything (such as no)  and there was all this unspoken attraction in the air (in his mind - and what does that even mean).  Plus, she has to remember Linda's behavior the last few months. 

I still have hope that Stan will live forever!   Though, on a serious note, Prunella has Alzheimers so I wonder if that might make a difference if he stays with the show.  TW might decide that he would rather spend the time with her.   

I think Shirley really wants to believe Dean's version of what happened with Linda because she feels she needs to make up for failing him so badly.  But based on her reaction when Mick told her what Dean did to Linda, Shirley believes Dean is more than capable of rape.  She more than anyone knows the angry, violent turn he took after he got out of prison.  I think Shirley will be on Dean's side for awhile, but eventually she'll admit that she doesn't believe the "It was a one night stand and Linda feels guilty!" story.

It also probably doesn't help that Linda and Shirley have never gotten along. It's probably much easier for Shirley to take the side of the son she desperately wants to repair her relationship with than the sister/daughter-in-law who she's never liked.

I'm also convinced that Abi is the one who killed Lucy, though I have no idea why, other than something to do with the affair with Max (though I was only watching sporadically in the weeks leading up to the murder, so maybe I missed something). Her violent outburst at Lauren on Halloween made her seem pretty capable, but at the same time, I wonder if she's too obvious a choice.

I don't think Abi is that obvious of a choice because I don't feel like the show is going out of their way to present her as a red herring. 

I hope that the Shirley & Dean against everyone else doesn't last too long because I can already feel that it's going to wear thin pretty quickly. I know Linda doesn't want everyone else finding out, but it would be interesting to watch the entire square turn against Dean and rally around Linda. Because I mean, if a woman claims she was raped, who wouldn't believe them?

Can someone explain this reference to Archie Mitchell's money, though? I'm honestly drawing a blank. This isn't the best show to watch with a memory as spotty as mine. They introduce plot points so quickly and then drop them for months at a time so I completely forget about them. Obviously, there was some kind of inheritance or something that Roxy was supposed to get but Phil intercepted? Why?

Phil intercepted, by stealing the money and framing Ronnie and Roxy's mother, Glenda, for it. I hope this means she could potentially return because she was fabulous. It's been a few years though, so I forget exactly why he did it. I know Ronnie herself asked Phil to get rid of her, but I think it may of had more to do with the fact that Ben pushed Glenda down a flight of stairs.

Edited by Amello
I hope that the Shirley & Dean against everyone else doesn't last too long because I can already feel that it's going to wear thin pretty quickly. I know Linda doesn't want everyone else finding out, but it would be interesting to watch the entire square turn against Dean and rally around Linda. Because I mean, if a woman claims she was raped, who wouldn't believe them?

It's understandable why Linda wouldn't want the whole Square finding out, but at this point Stacey, Sharon, Stan, Shirley, and Tina all know along with Linda, Mick, Dean, and Elaine.  Phil might know if Sharon told him, and Denise may also know if Shirley or Dean told her.  I don't know how this could stay on the down low, especially now that Shirley seems to be trying to cozy up to Nancy while Mick and Linda are gone. Ian told only Aflie about sleeping with Jane last week, and that got around the Square in, like, 10 minutes.  Maybe the lesson to keeping a secret on the Square is tell anyone you like, just don't tell Alfie?  

I don't know what I want to find out more: who killed Lucy Beale, or how Emma of all people figured it out.  Honestly, the idea of her as an effective cop is about as logical as believing Fredo will do a great job leading the Corleone family.

Can someone explain this reference to Archie Mitchell's money, though? I'm honestly drawing a blank. This isn't the best show to watch with a memory as spotty as mine. They introduce plot points so quickly and then drop them for months at a time so I completely forget about them. Obviously, there was some kind of inheritance or something that Roxy was supposed to get but Phil intercepted? Why?

Roxy got her money back, though, if my memory serves.  She had burned through the three million pound inheritance that she got after Archie died and was supposed to pay for Ronnie's wedding to Jack.  She used the last of her cash to place a bet at the bookies and her horse won, but Glenda (who was working at the bookies at the time) had not placed the bet.  Roxy sold a bunch of her possessions and that was the money that was stolen by Phil and Shirley, around 20 grand.  Glenda, who found out that Phil took it and then embarked on an affair with him, convinced Roxy that she should get her money back plus a little extra by breaking into Phil's safe.  Phil walks in on them, tells Roxy that Glenda stole the money, and the money that they took from the safe went back to Phil.  

Roxy then found cash hidden away in Glenda's wardrobe that Phil planted there to convince Roxy that she took it. Roxy refused to believe Glenda when she claimed that Phil planted it and accused Glenda of only wanting a relationship with her to get to her money. Glenda then revealed her affair with Phil to Roxy in front of Phil and Shirley as proof that Phil would set her up but no one believes her and Roxy tells her to move out of their flat.  

I think the money that was planted in Glenda's wardrobe would have gone back to Roxy.

Edited by Decider

Yeah, I have no clue what Emma sussed out looking around the square. I rewound and watched it again, but gave up because the best I could do was that there were two houses with red doors. ?!

But yeah, it seems odd that she would know the number of the person who she's accusing. Also, it's odd that she of all people would figure it out. She seemed to do a fine job as a counselor, keeping Ian and his family relatively calm while the police investigated. But in this episode she was so unsubtle it was hilarious. "Oh, hey, have you found out where that music box came from?" Nice work, officer! :-)

Now I'm convinced that if it's true someone's dying in the New Year's episode, it'll be Emma because we can't have anyone on the Square knowing the truth about who killed Lucy. We've gotta drag that out for at least another month or so… :-P

I don't think Max is the killer, but I do think Max is hiding something big in regards to Lucy.  I could see either Abi or Lauren being the killer and Max helping to cover for either of them.

So Emma is hit by a car, but no one takes her to the hospital until she starts bleeding from her ear?? She must be the one to die - someone has to. The show kept saying someone would die....unless they were being cute with "leaving the Square" with 2 people moving away.

And the suspects are narrowed to everyone is the Square with a phone...who drinks tea.

Yikes - Denise is hurting Patrick.

Excellent episode. The mystery has really been dragged out at this point, but I'm enjoying picking things apart for clues, such as - when Emma was meeting the killer in the park, Ben, Jay, Denise, Whitney, Lee, all three Brannings, all of the Beales + Jane were unaccounted for. When Emma left the park, we cut to Lola and Billy leaving their flat, which makes me pretty firmly believe it's not one of them. Ben and Jay seemed to be checking out Phil's stashes of money, so that may account for them as well. I don't think, based on their reactions when Lucy was first killed, that it could be either Ian or Peter. I don't think Denise either, considering how she was all set to leave Ian but then felt obligated to stick around in that unhappy relationship while he was grieving. The Cokers were thrown in there too, but they wouldn't make any sense at all. Lee looked mighty suspicious when he came into the pub, but I think that was a red herring, and Emma was acting strange enough that it wouldn't be out of line for anyone to be giving her the side-eye.

I think it's down to one of the Brannings or Jane, and based on Emma's behavior back at the Brannings' house and in the car with Max, my money's on one of them. There's also her general behavior throughout the episode - she was freaked out, disturbed, trying to negotiate with the killer for them to turn themselves in, which makes me think it's someone that she has a personal relationship with - so not Jane. The conversation in the park just didn't seem like it could be Max, so I'm down to Lauren and Abi, and why would Lauren throw herself into investigating the crime, trying to track down the cab driver, etc, early on if she was the one who did it?

So, my bets are placed on Abi, and I think Max knows something and helped cover it up in some way.

Also, everything with the car crash and Ronnie in the hospital was excellent. I figured for sure that Emma would end up dying (and seriously, good god, why on earth would no one take her to the hospital right away??), but they had me going for a good long while that it was going to be Ronnie who bit it.

Yeah, it wasn't until Emma started stumbling around like a drunk loon and Ronnie looked ready to bite it that I started to suspect they were doing a takeout. I didn't actually expect them to go so far as to have Ronnie flatline, though! Also, Emma was still alive at the end of the episode, so I guess no one actually died in the New Year's episode as promised. Darn.

(Although there was also a little part of me that thought that both Ronnie and Emma would be fakeouts after Yvonne confronted Nick with the evidence he'd cut the brakes. I wouldn't put it past Nick to silence her to keep his secret…)

I've also suspected Abi from the start, simply because she's been acting so weird. I mean, weirder than usual for her. ;-) And yes, based on the conversation in the park and also on the phone, it feels like someone younger, like Abi. Just the way Emma was talking to them. Like they were a child. 

It's just frustrating that even now we still aren't being told who the killer is. I know that the ending of the story isn't supposed to happen until February, but I thought maybe the audience would be clued in now. But noooo, Emma is the only one who knows, and she's not saying anything to anyone, so when her brain hemorrhage kills her on the way to the hospital, the truth will die with her. And then in another month, something will happen and the truth will accidentally come out or something. I just don't see how it can be dramatically satisfying at this point. I mean, whoever the killer is, there needs to be a damn good reason for Emma not to actually just call the police or even just SAY SOMETHING to the people around her. I know it's a typical TV trick, but it's really frustrating to watch.

I know!  I really wanted someone to die!  Hopefully Ben. 

Not a Ben fan?  :D

I'm still a little lost as to who is a suspect and who is not.  There was some talk late last year that the number of suspects would be whittled down to eleven on New Year's Day.  But based just on who was right around Emma when the text notification went off, the following people are suspects:

- Lee

- Abi

- Lauren

- Jane

- Whitney

- Max

- Pam

- Les

- Jay

- Ian

- Ben

- Denise

- Peter

That's thirteen.  Plus, if we're going by who was checking their phone at the beginning of the episode, that would include Masood, Lola, and Billy, although Lola and Billy were shown to be leaving for the wedding at the same time Emma was in the park talking to the supposed killer.  I did read on another site that perhaps Emma figured out that the killer had someone help move the body or hide evidence, and that's the person she was talking to in the park.  In that case, it could still be just about anyone. 

I think the promise that someone would die in yesterday's episode was technically fulfilled by Ronnie being clinically dead for a short amount of time before her heart began beating again.  It's a cop out as far as I'm concerned.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if Emma either dies today or stays in a coma until after the reveal of Lucy's killer.

That Radio Times list is a little bit much.

I still think it's Abi, but when I think about it as far as which characters are expendable, the list can grow. I wouldn't originally have thought Denise, and she did find the evidence, but seeing how she'd been hurting Patrick (which I really hate as a story, because I've liked Denise and this is pretty reprehensible behavior) maybe in a fit of temper she struck Lucy. And she wasn't the one who buried the phone and wallet anyway...

I just hope that they actually have the story play out in an interesting fashion and someone else uncovers the truth. If they just have Emma lapse into a coma for another month before she wakes up in February to reveal the murderer, that's going to be really stupid.

When Abi figures out he really is gay, maybe she will add him to her list of victims. 

Radiotimes has the final list at 14 - they included Cindy.  http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-01/eastenders-spoilers-the-final-14-suspects-revealed-in-the-lucy-beale-murder-case

Crap, I forgot about Cindy. 

I hope we end up seeing flashbacks of what actually happened to Lucy.  I assume everyone on the suspect list did something sketchy on the night of the murder, but not all of it was necessarily connected to Lucy or her killer.  I do think at least one person is covering something for the killer. 

See, I don't think they've pushed Abi as a potential suspect enough to be a red herring. They've made it seem more like it's Lauren. Or even Lee at times. But Abi's just been flitting through the background bitching about her sister and trying to seduce poor gay Ben the whole time. 

I honestly don't see how it could be Jane. Like Denise, I can't really see Jane killing someone. Even by accident. Of course, if you'd asked me before the New Year's episode, I wouldn't have thought Denise could hurt Patrick, so… there's that...

When Abi figures out he really is gay, maybe she will add him to her list of victims. 

Radiotimes has the final list at 14 - they included Cindy.  http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-01/eastenders-spoilers-the-final-14-suspects-revealed-in-the-lucy-beale-murder-case

Abi just feels too red herring for me as Lucy's killer.  I am still leaning towards Jane being involved somehow. 

Imo, everything is pointing to Abi so my head says it must be her....but, Cindy is still niggling away at the back of my mind. When they were showing everyone on their phones at the beginning of that episode, I noticed that everyone had a reason to be doing what they were doing at the time; Billy & Lola were on their way to the launderette, Les Coker was waiting for Pam who was in the shop, Ian was working in the cafe, even Whitney was on her way somewhere and so on and so forth. Ergo, they were all otherwise occupied whilst holding their phones....all except for Cindy, who was just hanging around outside by a wall, with no apparent other reason to be there...

I believe Cindy disliked Lucy enough to hit her hard enough and it accidentally kill her if she fell and hit her head, (Quote Emma: "it's still murder", although technically that would be manslaughter no?), what's giving me pause is that I can't work out 'how' though, considering we are led to believe Lucy was killed elsewhere and her body dumped on Walford Common and also in the Cindy is the killer scenario; where do Ben & Jay fit into the timeline? Same applies if the killer is Jane.

Kind of interesting that this is the second time that someone has died at the hand of Nick Cotton tampering with brakes.

I am not sure if anyone realized that Emma was hit by the car at first.

Edited by Decider

Yeah, I'm sorry, but Lauren's totally right. The woman got hit by a car. Max should've taken her to the hospital straight away. Or pushed her into one of the ambulances that came for Charlie/Roxie/Ronnie. Emma was running around acting like a madwoman, so she would've protested, but if someone I loved was hit by a car, I don't care how much they complain that they're fine, they're going to the hospital if I have to tie them down and drive them there myself.

Also, WOW, Denise is a hot mess.

I'm not sure how Nick thinks they can pin the brake tampering on Phil. I mean, sure, the police are probably eager to arrest Phil whenever they can, but still… that little argument between Phil and Ronnie isn't really enough motivation for Phil to attempt to murder her along with her unborn baby and Roxy and Charlie.

Plus, Emma was bleeding from her forehead so it was obvious she was hurt.  But then, people in the Square are extremely stupid.  

They just tweeted A Killer Exposed - 19-2-15.  So, now we have a date.

I don't think its going to be Abi  - I'm getting the feeling that they have not actually decided yet who the killer is and now that the entire country thinks its Abi, it won't be.

Edited by M. Darcy

Plus, Emma was bleeding from her forehead so it was obvious she was hurt.  But then, people in the Square are extremely stupid.  

They just tweeted A Killer Exposed - 19-2-15.  So, now we have a date.

I don't think its going to be Abi  - I'm getting the feeling that they have not actually decided yet who the killer is and now that the entire country thinks its Abi, it won't be.

BIB: I will be annoyed if they base their choice of killer on shock factor rather than the audience being able to discern the trail of breadcrumbs. DTC said it was meant to be a 'Broadchurch' type storyline, which imo, means we should be able to deduce who killed Lucy from the clues, otherwise I will call BS.

BIB: I will be annoyed if they base their choice of killer on shock factor rather than the audience being able to discern the trail of breadcrumbs. DTC said it was meant to be a 'Broadchurch' type storyline, which imo, means we should be able to deduce who killed Lucy from the clues, otherwise I will call BS.

YES. SO MUCH YES.

I remember one of the Scream movies (the third one, maybe?) changing its ending because the script leaked and they wanted the reveal of the killer to be a surprise. So when you watch the movie, it doesn't quite track. And knowing who it was supposed to be, it makes more sense. 

I mean, they've left it pretty wide open, so they could very well turn around and say "It was Kim!" and then show evidence that makes it true. But that would still feel like a cheat. If it is supposed to be Abi, and they've set it all up knowing it will be Abi, I would really hate for them to change their minds at the last second just because they feel the need to surprise us with a twist we didn't see coming. If the killer is revealed, and it doesn't track, I'm going to be PISSED.

I know they haven't told the actors who the killer is (which is slightly problematic because the actor portraying the killer can't actually imbue any of that into their performance), but I still have hope that the producers and writers know who it is and have known all along. Because anything else is just too terrible to contemplate! :-)

• Love 1

I remember one of the Scream movies (the third one, maybe?) changing its ending because the script leaked and they wanted the reveal of the killer to be a surprise. So when you watch the movie, it doesn't quite track. And knowing who it was supposed to be, it makes more sense.

Totally off-topic: I had heard that rumor about "Scream 2", that the script leaked and they changed the killer(s), but I actually thought the ending they came up with totally worked.  I never heard that about "Scream 3".

Maybe it was Scream 2. I don't remember. And the ending worked, but knowing who they meant it to be in the first place, that would've worked better, as I recall.

Anyway, back on topic: I seriously can't believe that they're going through with this frame-up on Phil. It's just so ludicrous. I mean, I get that the cops would be eager to put Phil behind bars for basically ANYTHING, but this is so implausible. Sure, they planted the rag in his coat, but like Ian said, they won't find any evidence of Phil on the actual car. Although I guess it did catch fire, so that would kind of screw that up. 

But still!

I'm SO glad that Sharon called the police and ratted Nick out. I know it's going to hurt Dot, but seriously, she needs to accept that Nick is an awful excuse for a human being and belongs behind bars or actually dead. It'll be terrible if Dot gets in trouble for harboring a fugitive, though. Thankfully, Nick seems to have ducked out before the cops showed up, so they should be okay for a bit. I hate whenever bad things happen to Dot.

Looking forward to when Charlie finds out that Nick caused the accident. Maybe that'll snap him out of his funk. ;-)