Type keyword(s) to search

Remington Steele: Hoisted by His Own Canard

The thread to talk about "The Boss" who isn't really the boss.

"Mr. Steele, you're not Mr. Steele."

Sometimes he had me gritting my teeth alongside Laura when he'd enjoy taking credit for her work far too much, and I wish it wasn't so hard for him to be honest with her, but I just love the guy.

• Love 2

Thanks for starting this Bastet.

I agree so much with your last paragraph. But you just had to love him. With his references to Old Hollywood Classics, the different impersonations he would do...I can't decide if his take on Barbara Woodsen? "Walkies! Walkies!!!!" is rolling on the floor laughing is more funnier or his acting as the guy from the mortuary telling Ingrid that they've lost "Ms. Holt's Urrrrn." Or, the one (the episode title is escaping me), where he plays this start struck fan, with his "Oh Yeahs!"

When he was funny, he was really funny, but Pierce could also bring out the very serious side of him as well. Like when he calls Laura on her shit. Or when he left to go to Ireland in the Season 4 opener I think, to find out who he was.

• Love 1

Or, the one (the episode title is escaping me), where he plays this start struck fan, with his "Oh Yeahs!"

Grappling Steele I think.  I am so not a fan of "professional wrestling" but this was a favorite episode of mine.

I don't think PB got the credit he deserved for his abilities as a comedic actor.  Bond had some one liners but it's a too serious character to ever be comedic.

I think the best shows are the ones that can go back and forth between the serious and the silly without it feeling clunky.  But that is probably why I'm always drawn to the Dramedy shows.  Makes winning any awards near impossible though and both Pierce and Stephanie should have cleaned up in the awards department. 

• Love 1
(edited)
When he was funny, he was really funny, but Pierce could also bring out the very serious side of him as well. Like when he calls Laura on her shit. Or when he left to go to Ireland in the Season 4 opener I think, to find out who he was.

I loved that, especially when Laura, even angry, took care of him in that fleabag hotel. I liked Remington explaining to Laura that he left so he could give her his real name or whatever. Pierce did humor flawlessly, but the vulnerable moments, he really shined, too.

He ran the gamut in "Sensitive Steele" and "Red Holt Steele", too, which will always be favorite episodes of mine

Edited by WendyR72

Remington: "It's not his wine! It's his wine!"

Laura pauses.

Murhpy: "Don't tell me he [Remington] did it again?" (or something like that--that Remington solved the mystery)

Laura says something like, yes, he did. I love it the most in the first season, how he would accidentally solve the crimes!

Murphy wasn't there, so that was one of the times Mr. Steele said, "I've done it again, haven't I?"

I agree that PB was good with the vulnerable, emotional scenes although the comedic - especially physical comedy - is where he really shined.  It's why I like some of the smaller, decidedly non-action films he went on to do.

• Love 1

I really love that Butler and Gleason wanted to give this show an Old Hollywood look and feel, and to put Remington almost always in either a suit or Tux, because my goodness, did Pierce look so very good in a Tux. He looks like he was born to wear them, be it White or Black.

And the moments where the tie was loose and hanging around his neck.

Okay let me stop now.

ETA: Okay, okay, just one more thing. And I admit, I am biased, but in my opinion, I don't think anything could make Pierce look unattractive. I'm talking physically. Be he splattered with mud, scruffy, beat up...he's still one good looking animal.

And it's positively criminal that he's so damned good looking.

Okay, now that I've come out of the shallow pool, I will shut up.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

I don't think anything could make Pierce look unattractive. I'm talking physically.

The tighty-whities.  I take the scene when Steele wakes up in the hotel room with no idea where he is or how he got there as proof positive that no one looks good in those things.

Otherwise, though ... the man makes me drool.  I don't like chest hair, so I prefer when he's covered up, but I'd get over it if the opportunity to get naked with him ever presented himself. 

• Love 2

The tighty-whities.  I take the scene when Steele wakes up in the hotel room with no idea where he is or how he got there as proof positive that no one looks good in those things.

Otherwise, though ... the man makes me drool.  I don't like chest hair, so I prefer when he's covered up, but I'd get over it if the opportunity to get naked with him ever presented himself. 

Would those be the ones in "Forged Steele"? If so, to be honest, I was too busy just looking at his face. He has such an expressive face.

I didn't want to say the word drool in my above post, but since you did, please know that he has the same effect on me still, and I also am not a fan of chest hair. But for Pierce? That's one thing I can overlook.

I'm pretty sure that early exposure to Pierce's hairy chest is why I DO find chest hair attractive, lol. 

And here's where my ignorance comes in:

I really loved the tie pin? that Steele wore during the first two seasons. You know, that gold thing that went across the knot of his tie--or was it under? Something about that was just so...sexy. As a side note, Lee Stetson wore the same thing in the first season of Scarecrow & Mrs. King.

I noticed Steele stopped wearing it in the third season, which was a shame.

And it was really refreshing to see him be the logical one in episodes like "Stronger Than Steele" because it demonstrated he was a good detective. But of course, in the same episode, his illogical self came to the forefront when he was tsking Laura after she was arrested, threatening her with shock therapy.

Another episode that showed this "serious" side was the beginning of "Steele in the Running" where Laura has been coming late to the office because she's been training for a triathlon, and he's bogged down in paperwork, tie undone hair all mussed. I love it, because we so rarely see that side of him.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

And it was really refreshing to see him be the logical one in episodes like "Stronger Than Steele" because it demonstrated he was a good detective. But of course, in the same episode, his illogical self came to the forefront when he was tsking Laura after she was arrested, threatening her with shock therapy.

Oh he was being perfectly logical.  When else was he going to get a chance to tease her like that?  ;)

• Love 1
(edited)

I really loved the tie pin? that Steele wore during the first two seasons. You know, that gold thing that went across the knot of his tie--or was it under?

Collar pin (or bar); the tie pin (bar, clip, etc.) would be down lower, securing the tie to the shirt.  Quite debonair.

Another episode that showed this "serious" side was the beginning of "Steele in the Running" where Laura has been coming late to the office because she's been training for a triathalon, and he's bogged down in paperwork, tie undone hair all mussed. I love it, because we so rarely see that side of him.

I love how very much she does not care that for a short time he has to endure some of the drudgery she always takes care of, but, yes, he is also just adorable as he does it ... and it's great that he does it himself rather than pawning it off on Mildred, which wouldn't have happened a couple of years earlier.  (Although Mildred would likely have been better at it.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Yes! The collar pin! Thanks Bastet! And I agree-very debonair. I wish he hadn't stopped wearing it.

Also, color me surprised that he was doing the paperwork on his own because you're right, if it had been two, even one year earlier, he would have pawned it off on Mildred.

When I see the growth of his character, his actions in "Bonds of Steele" just infuriates me.

When I see the growth of his character, his actions in "Bonds of Steele" just infuriates me.

I have spent literally the entire time since it first aired trying to justify/understand what the hell happened in the episode.  I managed to spin/imaging why he didn't tell her (Was going to but in his freak out with getting the letter informing him of the deportation, he spaced on an important meeting leading to Laure freaking out on him for reverting to old bad behavior which would conclude with a lecture to him about taking responsibility for his own actions so he decides to come up with a solution on his own.  And once he realizes the only solution was a fake marriage, he was afraid that asking that of Laura could be the final straw since as Mildred not so long ago pointed out to him that 99 out of 100 women wouldn't stick with him - what if this was the thing that pushed her away too?)

I managed to spin why he tossed her in the closet and tried to get married even with her screaming and pounding on the walls and his other almost casual attitude to her finding out he was marrying a hooker.  (He was desperate at that point and just focused on making sure the wedding happened so he would be able to stay in the country  - and as long as he could be in the same city with her, he figured he'd have a shot at getting her forgiveness but if he was deported, he had no shot with Laurel at all.)

But what I could never, ever, ever explain away was him looking annoyed when it looked like Laura was being drowned and then STILL going and looking for a way to stay clean while saving her.  Those moments simply could not have happened in season four.  So I guess I actually do have a fix for those moments.  THEY NEVER HAPPENED!!!

Edited by BkWurm1

I'm just going to pretend that "Bonds of Steele" in its ENTIRETY NEVER HAPPENED. It was obvious to me that the opening scene with the back of Remngton's head when he's talking with Clarissa, confirming the appointment for blood tests, wasn't Pierce's head. Otherwise we'd have seen the front of his face.

And it the collar pin returns in the fourth season, though not in every episode; also something new: suspenders! Now why would Remington need suspenders?

And because there isn't a quote thread, and I SUCK at creating titles, I'm just going to put this here, because I'm watching this now (have to; I have to make sure that all the discs work!) You all should know which episode this is from!

"...it's an excruciatingly tight fit. I mean you're acting more like me, dammit, and there's only room for one me in this office."

"In any office."

"I-I- wasn't meant for desk work, Laura! I mean, my fingers are shredded with paper cuts, my skin's turning a flourescent green. Maitre d's around town are beginning to forget my face. Whatever it is you're doing, Laura, it's destroying me--thank you, Mildred."

"You'd better tell him, hon."

"What? You're in on this, Mildred? You know what Miss Holt's up to, and you haven't told me?"

"Sisterhood is powerful, Chief."

"I suppose I have been a little unfair, I didn't think you'd understand."

"Understand? Understand what?"

Laura and Mildred share a look.

"Look, um...Laura. If...if there's another man here, um--" (Remington looks down, shuffling papers)

Mildred and Laura laugh.

"I'm competing in a triathlon tomorrow."

"Oh! A triathlon?" Looks bemused.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

There is some fun dialogue in Steel in the Running.  Loved how confused he was about WHY she would be doing the triathlon (Is it for charity?) and his philosophy about only running if chased. 

I loved when he picked them up, in the limo...with donuts, ha, ha.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

First, a public service announcement (since a whole lot of people add the extra syllable):  It's triathlon, not triathalon. 

Back to Mr. Steele.  I share his "not unless someone's chasing me" attitude toward running.  And his horror at being asked to pick someone up at 6:00 in the morning.  He's a lot of fun in that episode, particularly when he tells Laura he's ruining his shoes ... not to mention his feet.  (Try running in heels, buddy.)  And when he tosses the running shoes over his shoulder and says chasing her is all the exercise he needs. 

He's just so adorable.  So, yeah, Bonds of Steele just has to be chalked up to an evil twin or something, because he makes no sense in it.

• Love 2

First, a public service announcement (since a whole lot of people add the extra syllable): It's triathlon, not triathalon.

Back to Mr. Steele. I share his "not unless someone's chasing me" attitude toward running. And his horror at being asked to pick someone up at 6:00 in the morning. He's a lot of fun in that episode, particularly when he tells Laura he's ruining his shoes ... not to mention his feet. (Try running in heels, buddy.) And when he tosses the running shoes over his shoulder and says chasing her is all the exercise he needs.

He's just so adorable. So, yeah, Bonds of Steele just has to be chalked up to an evil twin or something, because he makes no sense in it.

*MEEP*. Typos all fixed!

Yes, I love that last line that "Pursuing you is all the exercise I need." And then kisses her.

First, a public service announcement (since a whole lot of people add the extra syllable):  It's triathlon, not triathalon.

Fixed mine as well.  No wonder it was giving me the squiggly red line.  :D

The weirdest things come to me while watching this show. Like, that ring that Remington wears on his pinky. He alternates; that is, it's not always on his left pinky; sometimes on his right. The show never really said why he wore it or if it had any significance.

Unlike the fedoras that Laura wore. Gleason said that that was all Stephanie. Her idea, her "addition" if you will, to add to the character of Laura.

Putting this here, because it's more related to Pierce Brosnan, than the character, but I'm bored and wanted to share; plus I just remembered that this is what I used to do!

Like most tweens/teens, I inhaled and read as many of those horrid Harlequin romances; of course, to my young mind, they didn't seem so horrid. So, for every hero that was described as having Black hair and deep, deep blue eyes, I pictured Pierce Brosnan.

There. I said it. I'd say about 8 out of the 10, were down right abusive bastards, but the physical descriptions of them, were Pierce down to a T, and since I was watching this show and I was totally in love with him, what else could I do?

Of course, years and years later, when my favorite author, under a different name, created a series, and described the hero, down to a light Irish accent that became more pronounced when he got angry or when his emotions were running high, not to mention the physical description, well, naturally, Pierce came to mind.

Yes, I need to find something to occupy my mind.

• Love 1

A post from GHScorpiosRule in another thread had me looking up who Pierce is married to and what she looks like.  She reported they were featured in one of those horrible clickbait articles, this one about celebrities with unattractive significant others.  I thought I recalled he married some hot young model/actor/"journalist," and, sure enough, I was right -- the woman simply had the audacity to put on a few pounds over the past 20+ years. 

Through the course of looking her up, I read that Cassie's mom had died of ovarian cancer, too.  I knew their daughter died of it, but I didn't realize she was the third generation.  So sad.

Anyway, the point of all this is to say that for all his fame and fortune, Pierce still comes across as a good man.  He didn't trade his trophy wife in for a younger model because she, like 99% of the population, picked up a few wrinkles and pounds over the years, and throughout both marriages I have never heard a single plausible rumor of infidelity.  He adopted Cassie's kids, and seems to have been a loving and involved father.  He loves animals, has both cats and dogs (I love men who love cats), and adopts them rather than buys them.  He's an activist for women's health, animal welfare, environmental protection, etc.  I've really never heard of him being a jackass to people other than paparazzi, and I give quite a pass on that one.

This shouldn't be particularly noteworthy, but for a man with his looks, his money, and his celebrity, it is.

• Love 3
(edited)

Pierce  Brosnan or maybe it was his Social Media PR person (I don't care), posted a still of him in a tux 1982 on Facebook. I won't lie: I melted into a pile of goo and these were shooting out of my eyes, I'm sure:?????????

I just wanted to share!??

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

For @BkWurm1, who missed the entire interview with Pierce Brosnan, who appeared on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert this past Monday night. I, along with Stephen, FINALLY learned what "happened" to his Irish Accent! He's looking so fiiiiiiine. I'm intrigued by the movie he's in with Jackie Chan of all people. Due out November 13.

Thank you! I lost my reception right as the interview started.  Made me ridiculously happy when they included Remington Steele in his list of credits  It gets left off too often.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, BkWurm1 said:

Thank you! I lost my reception right as the interview started.  Made me ridiculously happy when they included Remington Steele in his list of credits  It gets left off too often.

It does! They always talk about his stint as Bond in interviews. And I will admit I was confuzzled when he said the money he got from playing Bond, helped him to be able to create his own production company and put money into projects he wanted, like Evelyn. That's what confused me, as I thought he'd made and starred in Evelyn before he was cast as Bond. But I loved him talking about The Thomas Crown Affair, because the way he played that character just SCREAMED ROARKE* to me! Especially the scene where he bought out that hotel? Company? Reminded me of the scene from Ceremony in Death as he conducted the same thing, except he was buying an airline, hee! He's just so so charming. Though I would have loved a question about Remington Steele. Sigh...

*Lead character in J.D. Robb's In Death series.

Evelyn happened in 2002 while his first Bond flick was 1995.  I think it was the first one he produced through his own production company though he also was pretty heavily involved behind the scenes in The Thomas Crown Affair, just not with Irish Dreamtime.  

Yeah, Thomas Crown is very Roarke-ish.  Hadn't made that connection (normally I connected him to RS but Thomas Crown works even better)  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Evelyn happened in 2002 while his first Bond flick was 1995.

Now why did I think Evelyn came out before??? Must have been the hair!

9 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yeah, Thomas Crown is very Roarke-ish.  Hadn't made that connection (normally I connected him to RS but Thomas Crown works even better) 

Oh yeah, I almost always associate Remington Steele whenever Roarke "grins" or "smiles" because, Pierce has that wonderful smile! But the character Thomas Crown that he played fits so much better! Why no, I don't think about this much at all!

• Love 1
On November 30, 2015 at 5:33 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I really love that Butler and Gleason wanted to give this show an Old Hollywood look and feel, and to put Remington almost always in either a suit or Tux, because my goodness, did Pierce look so very good in a Tux. He looks like he was born to wear them, be it White or Black.

And the moments where the tie was loose and hanging around his neck.

Okay let me stop now.

I know. In college one of my friends had a serious thing for Pierce Brosnan, so on Valentine's Day we watched a whole bunch of episodes on DVD.  She said she'd tell her friends she spent Valentine's Day with Pierce Brosnan. Also, for her birthday or some other holiday I gave her an 8 by 10 of him. If memory serves correct, his tie was was loose and hanging around his neck and it was a bit steamy. I think this show may have contributed some traits to my ideal man. He has to know classic movies, he has to look good in a suit or a tux. His line "I want a woman I can work with and play with" may have made me melt a little when I first heard it. 

• Love 1
On 1/5/2018 at 0:23 AM, Sarah 103 said:

I know. In college one of my friends had a serious thing for Pierce Brosnan, so on Valentine's Day we watched a whole bunch of episodes on DVD.  She said she'd tell her friends she spent Valentine's Day with Pierce Brosnan. Also, for her birthday or some other holiday I gave her an 8 by 10 of him. If memory serves correct, his tie was was loose and hanging around his neck and it was a bit steamy. I think this show may have contributed some traits to my ideal man. He has to know classic movies, he has to look good in a suit or a tux. His line "I want a woman I can work with and play with" may have made me melt a little when I first heard it. 

Ding, ding, ding.  I'm good with lusting after a Chris Helmsworth or a Jason Mamoa as well, but I have an everlasting weakness for classic elegance and wit.  (And the accent, lol)

And looking back, as much as Steele teased Laura at times when he was playing the part of her boss, with her, he was always openly star stuck over her talents.  He was never threatened by her abilities, just proud and pleased by them.  That's a good standard for men to have to live up to.                               

• Love 2
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Ding, ding, ding.  I'm good with lusting after a Chris Helmsworth or a Jason Mamoa as well, but I have an everlasting weakness for classic elegance and wit.  (And the accent, lol)

And looking back, as much as Steele teased Laura at times when he was playing the part of her boss, with her, he was always openly star stuck over her talents.  He was never threatened by her abilities, just proud and pleased by them.  That's a good standard for men to have to live up to.                               

This is SO Roarke with Eve!!! With that gorgeous Irish lilt to boot!?????

• Love 1

Clearly, Brosnan's movie that came out last November also starring Jackie Chan bombed. Because I don't recall even seeing trailers for it. BUT. I just saw on his Face Book page, Spinning Man. Due out in April, co-starring Guy Pearce and Minni Driver.

Ooh! Here's a trailer, which I haven't seen yet.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

That looks like a nice, solid, psychological thriller. 

About the movie that came out in November, I don't know if it bombed but I don't know how you missed the trailers.  I started changing the channel when they came on I got so sick of them, lol.  (Chan drops daughter off for school, she gets blown up, Chan is mad, confronts Bronsnan who says he doesn't know who did it, Chan doesn't believe him!)  I even saw Pierce give a couple interviews on late night talk shows.  I could have sworn you linked me to a complete version after my DVR blanked out.  :D  

Edited by BkWurm1
Spelling matters
18 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

That looks like a nice, solid, phycological thriller. 

Are we typing from our phone again? phycological? You are missing an 's' darling! And need to transpose the h and y! ?

18 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

About the movie that came out in November, I don't know if it bombed but I don't know how you missed the trailers.  I started changing the channel when they came on I got so sick of them, lol.  (Chan drops daughter off for school, she gets blown up, Chan is mad, confronts Bronsnan who says he doesn't know who did it, Chan doesn't believe him!)  I even saw Pierce give a couple interviews on late night talk shows.  I could have sworn you linked me to a complete version after my DVR blanked out.  :D  

I saw maybe one or two on the television, but I learned of it from Brosnan's Face Book page! And yes, I was the one who linked the trailer here and gave you guys the heads up. But once it got closer to November, I didn't see anything. Didn't even see it in the Box Office list over in the Everything Else Movies Thread.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule