Type keyword(s) to search

S02: E03: Morgane 2015.11.14

I'll start with a recap of the episode and don't hesitate to make corrections if there are some.

My first reaction when I saw the title, Morgane, was oh joy, not another new character.  Although there were some intriguing answers in the episode there were a lot more questions than answers especially with Morgane who by the end of the episode I had no idea how he fitted into the storyline.  (Just realized that I made a mistake with the title.  Hopefully a mod will change it to Morgane.)

This episode begins with a flashback to 35 years ago.

We see Lucy in bed with a young man who is Morgane.  When they come out of their abode they see a terrible thunderstorm on the horizon just prior to the collapse of the dam which takes out the town in the distance which I presume is the Domain.  There is a pan to above ground to the survivors (?), many of which are the Returned as they look down on the flooded town.  I'm guessing that they're dead, but then there are others there who are alive or we think they're alive..  Milan spots Lucy and asks her to come with him.  We hear "Milan, Milan. Please" as Lucy awakens from what must have been a nightmare.

Simon asks "What's the matter?" and Lucy responds "It's Milan.  He's nearby and he's looking for us."

Simons say, "What does he want" and she responds, "To do us harm"

She asks Simon if more have returned.  She goes down to greet them and one is Morgane who she didn't know was dead.

Next scene is in the morgue where we see the bodies of the policemen.  They died about 6 months ago and were killed by handguns.  There were 21 bodies tied to the trees with one missing.  (Wanna bet the one is Adele's disgusting husband!)

Next scene we see men lowering themselves into the giant sinkhole which we saw in episode 2.  We discover that Berg lived here when the dam broke.  The men can't go deep enough but they decide to wait to see what's in the bottom when cameras used in oil wells will arrive. 

Jerome arrives at the Helping Hand and sees the Sabatini's who still refuse to believe that Audrey has returned.  Jerome asks Pierre if he knows where Lena is and he responds, "We're like you Jerome.  We're all looking for answers to our questions" = a perfect analogy for how the viewers feels or at least this one!

Next scene is Lena in the cabin with Serge watching her.  Milan returns asking questions about her.  Lena awakens and Serge tells her to leave.  She asks him where is Camille, but he won't answer until she says she's going to ask Milan.  That's when he says he'll take her.  Milan orders Serge to take her to the clearing and tells him "That's why we've Returned to help them come and join us."

Camille is sleeping when she is startled awake by Audrey and Esteban.  They can't sleep and are hungry.  (Interestingly it's pointed out that with time you can sleep and you don't need to eat all the time, but the question remains WHY?)  Audrey and Esteban asks Camille questions revealing things we already knew from season 1.

Simon finds Lucy with Morgane.  Soon there will be no more room for the Returned.  Lucy says that in any case if Milan finds them we'll have to go somewhere else.  Lucy sends Simon to get his son saying, "Soon we'll need him".

Adele and Chloe return home with the baby accompanied by the doctor, a nurse and the priest.  Chloe is singing a song to the baby and gives him a name, Nathan.  Adele freaks out and tells the Priest that Nathan is the name Simon wanted for his son and the song that Chloe was singing was written by Simon for Adele.  She claims that Simon is haunting them through the baby.

Next we see Julie and Victor asleep together.  When they come downstairs his mother Audrey introduces Victor to Paul, his brother who Returned last night and now has reunited their family.

Camille's mother is fixing her bruised face when she discovers that Esteban is gone.

Julie talks with Sabrinet/Mrs. Costas who tells her that now that Victor/Louis' family has reunited she should go home.  We see that Victor is not happy with that idea.

Esteban has gone to his old house to find out that it has been taken over by more of the Returned.  Camille, her mother and Audrey are trying to decide if they should go and look for him when there is a knock on the door and it's Virgil.  Camille argues with her mom and takes the key unlocking the door and goes off with Virgil.

Serge begins the trek to find Camille with Lena.  Berg arrives at Jerome's but he isn't there; instead he's outside the American Diner and goes in.

Toni is at the Helping Hand.  He still has no memory except for when Julie saved him before he jumped from the dam.  Pierre tells him to stay put.

Virgil takes Camille to see Esteban.  She tells Virgil that Esteban's parents committed suicide because of her lie.  In a conversation with Virgil we discover that he was born on October 1, 1957, and is the same age as her father.  (Hmmm!)

The best part of the episode for me was what he revealed in his talk with Camille:

Camille: Why aren't the others like us?

Virgil:  Which others?

Camille:  The one's living here who don't want us to leave.

Virgil:  Because no one was waiting for them.  No one was hoping they'd return.

Camille:  Was someone waiting for you?

Virgil:  Yes.

Camille: Your parents.

Virgil: Yes

Camille: Are they alive or

Virgil:  I don't really want to talk about them.

Camille:  Sorry!

Julie listens to what appears to be bickering with Victor and his brother and intervenes.  We discover that they were only playing one of their tent games as we had seen them do in an episode from season 1.  Victor asks Julie if she is leaving and says, "I don't need you.  It's you who needs me.  You have nobody in your life.  You're alone!  The child would have been unhappy with you.  Which child?, says Julie and Victor responds, The one you had in your belly when you were attacked in the tunnel". Julie responds with "What" and Victor says, "It's better that he died."

Simon comes to Chloe who I think was in the house next door where Laure lived, but I'm not sure and asks her how is the baby?  She tells him that she's frightened that Adele will hurt him since she doesn't love him.  Simon says, "I'm here now" and Chloe asks if he will take him away also saying that if you do you'll take me too.  Right?  You won't leave me alone?  He responds, "Of course, don't worry."

Adele hears the baby crying and goes in to see Nathan who stops crying when he sees her.  She picks him up.

Esteban returns with Camille to her house.

Lena and Serge stop walking and she asks where are we?  Serge shoots her as his father watches.  He comes down to the clearing and discovers that Serge didn't shoot her, but stabbed her instead.  He tells Serge, "Either you leaver her to bleed to death or finish her off.  Instead he shoots Milan and we see Lucy awaken. 

(As SierraMist said it was Milan who stabbed Lena and forces Serge to make a decision what to do.)

This is where I got really confused because the next scene shifted to 35 years later for the remaining scenes.  What is going on with the timelines? 

(ETA: Nope it wasn't 35 years later.  I watched it for a 2nd time it and it was 34 years ago so there is no problem with the timeline.  Even so it still doesn't make it any clearer to figure out how Morgane fits in with Lucy.)

Morgane confronts Milan asking "What have you done to her (Lucy)?  Goons take him downstairs where Milan tells them to put him with her?  One asks, "is she dead? and Milan responds, "She's saved now.  I've washed her of all her sins.  WTF does that mean?

Next is another downstairs scene this one with Pierre at Helping Hand.  He asks Toni, "Where are the others"?  Toni wants to leave, but can't.  Sandrine visits Pierre and he tells her that he knows what they must do.

The soldiers are looking down the sinkhole with cameras when they lose the signal which is replaced by a green blotch and they ask themselves "what was that?"

A car arrives at the American Diner; it's Berg.  He finds Jerome and tells him that he's looking for someone too, but Jerome tells him it's too late.

Serge arrives at the Domain carrying Lena.  Camille goes outside and finds Lena lying in the backyard bringing her into the house still alive.

Simon brings Chloe home and finds Adele with their son.  (Did he take him, Chloe and Adele?; another question to be answered.)

Julie hears Audrey reading to her sons.  She goes downstairs and Audrey asks if she is leaving?  Julie doesn't responds, but Audrey says "Merci"!  Sabrinet wishes Julie good luck.  As Julie goes out the door Victor looks up very sad.  Then we see Julie walks to the lake to leave the domain, but the question is HOW?

3 episodes and still lots of questions to be answered, but even though I'm mystified I'm loving this show unlike the dreadful A&E versions of "The Returned" and "Resurrection" on ABC.

Edited by dbklmt
  • Love 2

I'll start with a recap of the episode and don't hesitate to make corrections if there are some.

This is where I got really confused because the next scene shifted to 35 years later for the remaining scenes.  What is going on with the timelines?

Morgane confronts Milan asking "What have you done to her (Lucy)?  Goons take him downstairs where Milan tells them to put him with her?  One asks, "is she dead? and Milan responds, "She's saved now.  I've washed her of all her sins.  WTF does that mean?

dbklmt, first of all, thank you so much for starting this and giving your recap.

I will admit that I'm really confused about a lot of things that happened in this episode. 

I was under the impression that Serge shot Lena, but then she wasn't shot, and then Milan stabbed her. 

I am totally confused about who Morgane is and what Milan is to Lucy.  (So Lucy has returned more than once, right?)

I felt so bad for Julie.  Did she drown herself? Chances are she won't stay dead (if she is).

My cable box kept cutting in and out so I think I missed some things.  I'm going to see if I can rewatch the episode on Sundance.  I don't get Sundance on Demand.  I'm so confused.

I was under the impression that Serge shot Lena, but then she wasn't shot, and then Milan stabbed her.

You're right!  That's how it happened

I am totally confused about who Morgane is and what Milan is to Lucy.  (So Lucy has returned more than once, right?)

I'm also thinking she has!

I felt so bad for Julie.  Did she drown herself? Chances are she won't stay dead (if she is).

That's why I wrote HOW.  There certainly wasn't a barge waiting for her there so I'm presuming she drowned herself.  There's no way she's going out of the show so I'm banking on her also becoming a Returned.  I'm trying to figure out where is Laure.  Can't remember if she was inside the Helping Hand when the Horde appeared in the final episode of season 1.  Was she one of the 21 policeman they found?

Edited by dbklmt

I wondered about Laure too.  I think she would have been outside with the other policemen, but I don't remember.  If she was inside, it seems we would have seen her by now.  I thought the missing person was Adele's husband, too.

Milan is really a sadistic piece of work. Of course, he won't stay dead either.

I wonder who Berg is looking for.  He said he was in the town when the dam broke?  He doesn't look like he's aged 35 years. 

Virgil is another mystery.

So many questions.

dbklmt, first of all, thank you so much for starting this and giving your recap.

I will admit that I'm really confused about a lot of things that happened in this episode. 

My cable box kept cutting in and out so I think I missed some things.  I'm going to see if I can rewatch the episode on Sundance.  I don't get Sundance on Demand.  I'm so confused.

My theory is that Serge warned Lena on their way down in the woods that Milan wants him to kill her, and so he just made it look like he was shooting her (maybe a fake bullet or something), but Milan got the clue, and so he stabbed her.

So many questions.

According to several UK viewers who have seen

all of Season 2, our questions will be answered

by or during the final episode.

That's good to know.  Right now there are so many new characters that add to the confusion. 

I think there are US viewers who have seen the whole thing, too, and that's why we aren't getting the discussion after every episode like we did last year.  That makes me sad because I so looked forward to hearing everyone's thoughts every week 

My theory is that Serge warned Lena on their way down in the woods that Milan wants him to kill her, and so he just made it look like he was shooting her (maybe a fake bullet or something), but Milan got the clue, and so he stabbed her.

That's what I finally figured, too. 

I think there are US viewers who have seen the whole thing, too, and that's why we aren't getting the discussion after every episode like we did last year.  That makes me sad because I so looked forward to hearing everyone's thoughts every week

I've seen up to episode 5 but the last thing I want to do is let something slip so I've been following the conversation on here.  I'll probably wait until the end to post my thoughts.

My take, though, on Serge, Lena and Milan was Serge wanted to get Lena away from his father so he agreed to take her out to shoot her but didn't tell her.  When they get to the clearing Serge shot Lena with the hopes that Milan would think he killed her but Milan checked Lena and stabbed her.  Lena's only wound seems to be in her shoulder.  

• Love 1

I've seen up to episode 5 but the last thing I want to do is let something slip so I've been following the conversation on here.  I'll probably wait until the end to post my thoughts.

Can I ask, where do you see the episodes ahead of time

It's odd how the show has been so vague about the whereabouts of Laure.  I've re-watched the final scenes of season 1's finale and she wasn't specifically shown inside or outside of the Helping Hand.  

I love the friendship between Victor and Julie, so it pained me that he lashed out at her like that.  I didn't interpret that last scene as Julie drowning herself, just that she was reluctantly swimming across back to the land of the living.  

• Love 1

It's odd how the show has been so vague about the whereabouts of Laure.  I've re-watched the final scenes of season 1's finale and she wasn't specifically shown inside or outside of the Helping Hand.  

I love the friendship between Victor and Julie, so it pained me that he lashed out at her like that.  I didn't interpret that last scene as Julie drowning herself, just that she was reluctantly swimming across back to the land of the living.  

Victor was definitely sending mixed signals.  (I can't think of him as Louis.) 

I just couldn't believe that Julie was going to try swimming across the lake with that heavy coat on.  Maybe the lake is just not as deep as I thought it was.

The coat is a problem, isn't it?  I could see Julie entering the water with some suicidal intention but then her survival instincts kick in and she removes the coat to swim unimpeded.  I know that Julie is emotionally burdened but I do see a survivor within her.  Or, maybe I just like her so much that I don't want her to die, lol.  Curious to see where she ends up.  

• Love 2
dbklmt:  When they come downstairs his mother Audrey introduces Victor to Paul, his brother who Returned last night and now has reunited their family.

dbklmt:  Julie hears Audrey reading to her sons.  She goes downstairs and Audrey asks if she is leaving?  Julie doesn't responds, but Audrey says "Merci"!

To help clarify, Audrey is the dark-haired girl who is a friend of Camille's. Victor's mother doesn't have a name. Her character is listed only as "Mère de Victor" on IMBD.  I pointed this out last week, because I was pretty confused about there being two characters named Audrey (there aren't). Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Bcharmer
  • Love 1

In spite of this episode being called Morgane, I don't think we learned very much about Morgane at all.  Was it made clear what his relationship was to Milan? Or even what his relationship was to Lucy?

This episode begins with a flashback to 35 years ago.

We see Lucy in bed with a young man who is Morgane.  When they come out of their abode they see a terrible thunderstorm on the horizon just prior to the collapse of the dam which takes out the town in the distance which I presume is the Domain.  There is a pan to above ground to the survivors (?), many of which are the Returned as they look down on the flooded town.  I'm guessing that they're dead, but then there are others there who are alive or we think they're alive..  Milan spots Lucy and asks her to come with him.  We hear "Milan, Milan. Please" as Lucy awakens from what must have been a nightmare.

Sorry, I'm a little behind, only just now reading this. My impression was that Lucy and Morgane used Milan's mountain cabin for their illicit rendez-vous. Because they were not down in the valley when the dam broke, they survived, along with the other people who were watching the flood. I took that crowd to be regular alive people who happened to be on higher ground and gathered to watch their town get flooded. Milan spots Lucy in the crowd and obviously has some beef with her, and she knows she's in trouble. (Maybe she is playing hooky from work or something.) Later we see her dead body dumped in that shed -- obviously Milan murdered her 35 years ago, so when she was knifed in the tunnel six months ago, she healed herself miraculously in the hospital cuz she was already dead when she died -- the same way Toni's and Simon's wounds miraculously healed. So the dead people can be killed again and will come back to life, but we don't know how many times. Maybe their powers of regeneration are limited. 

Edited by lidarose9
  • Love 1

Sorry to all if I'm a bit late. I just binged on Season 1 on Neflix and am now watching the current season on Sundance which I've been DVRing.

This is my impression. This town (we don't know the name, do we?) sits is a valley surrounded by steep mountains, so when the ground water seeps up and floods it, the town is essentially cut in half now. One section is still connected to the outside world by that one road. That is where the Authorities (military guys and the engineers) are and the few remaining town people who have not evacuated.

The other part of town is completely cut off and is what they are calling the Domain because that is where the Returned have gathered. So to get to the "land of the living," one must cross the new lake covering the middle part of the town now. Some can swim (Simon has), and they've worked out that raft now. As dead people emerge around the area, Lucy and Simon collect them and bring them to the Domain, where they are not seen by the Authorities and are safe from the Dead Patrol. 

So it seems to me there are two groups of dead people: the normal ones like Lucy and Camille and Simon -- and the ones I call the Dead Patrol. The two are not allies. The Dead Patrol seem to think it's their job is to keep people in their place -- the dead should be with the dead and the living should not be in the Domain, so they beat up Camille's mom when they find her. The normal dead people are also afraid of them, so apparently they do something nasty to other dead people if they catch them. 

And yes, I think the living can come and go as they please, but the dead are not allowed to leave the valley. I have wondered if maybe Laure got tired of the undead drama and decided to leave but Julie would not go cuz of Victor. 

Everybody seems to think it's important that none of the Authorities know about the Returned. I'm not sure why. 

Someone was asking why Lena is so angry with her father when she finds his "bunker"... I think she has been alone for six months, worried sick about her mother, scared, missing her sister.... and her father has been nowhere to be seen. He has reacted to this crisis by cutting himself off and fixating on the mystery, when she really needed him. 

Edited by lidarose9
  • Love 3
He has reacted to this crisis by cutting himself off and fixating on the mystery, when she really needed him.

Right, Lena's pissed because her father is focused on Camille and Camille's mom (sorry I forgot her name), two people who are gone, and he's not focused on his daughter who is present.

• Love 1