Type keyword(s) to search

Room (2015)

Empress1
  • Start Topic

A bit late to the party but I watched this one on Christmas night when it showed up on Netflix. So good but so intense. The whole part from when they come up with the pretending to be dead plan to when the cops find Joy was probably the most suspenseful thing I have seen in a long time. 

I also liked even though it was mostly from Jack's point of view they really explored the idea of where does Joy go from here. She spent the so long just focused on protecting her son on an extreme level so what does she do when she doesn't need to do that any more. Especially when he is recovering faster than her, and having the time means that she has time to really process her own trauma.

Also I am kind of glad I saw this movie now because if I watched it when it first came out it would have ruined Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt I think.

• Love 4
On 12/28/2018 at 9:24 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

The whole part from when they come up with the pretending to be dead plan to when the cops find Joy was probably the most suspenseful thing I have seen in a long time. 

Room, and those scenes you bring up in particular, have this oddly masochistic rewatch quality for me.  I can't describe it because they're so uncomfortable and disturbing it's not even like I get some catharsis out of getting emotional and crying.  Honestly, I think it's all Larson's performance.  The nuance that she brings.  There's a moment where she tells Jack he's going to play dead and she pauses ever so slightly at the realization of what she's about to say.  She can't show any worry in her emotion because she's dealing with a five year old but at the same time, not only is it disturbing enough for a mother to ask her child to even act dead, but she sincerely doesn't believe that both of them will make it out alive.  I think she's hoping that at least Jack can get away and these may be the last moments she ever sees him.  It's heartbreaking to watch but interesting to dissect.  

• Love 3