Type keyword(s) to search

Goosebumps (2015)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Okay, this is utterly crazy.  I actually was shocked watching the trailer because as I started to realize what the premise was I was like "okay, this is going to suck", but by the END of the trailer I kind of changed my opinion to thinking it was pretty clever.  Basically, in a nutshell, it's Jumanji-izing Goosebumps.

Jack Black as a fictionalized version of R.L. Stine, with a conveniently cute/attractive daughter who's straight out of a 1980's movie (where there's always such a character to match up with the male lead--who's an outcast) is also a conceit that works, precisely BECAUSE it seems straight out of a genre of movie that's buried in most of our subconscious now.

And of course there are the 80s and 90s kid-caper/comedy-adventure movies--shades of Gremlins, Jumanji, Goonies, etc.  You really get the vibe.

Now I bet there will be a group of people who hate that this is comedy and not real horror.  Except I don't think such a movie would really work as a nostalgia thing.

Slightly different footage:

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

Wow! I would have been so into this movie back in 5th grade. I literally read every single Goosebumps book that was out at that time. Then I had to move on to R.L. Stine's Fear Street series. I wonder if they're going to include my favorite story; the one where the book ends with the boy trapped in the mirror universe.

• Love 1

Wow! I would have been so into this movie back in 5th grade. I literally read every single Goosebumps book that was out at that time. Then I had to move on to R.L. Stine's Fear Street series. I wonder if they're going to include my favorite story; the one where the book ends with the boy trapped in the mirror universe.

Well...

Screenrant.com: 25 ‘Goosebumps’ Books Referenced In The Upcoming Movie

To be clear, I think this is just 25 THEY identified from the trailer.  I doubt they've seen any more footage then we have.  So there could be many more references elsewhere in the film.

• Love 2

Saw the trailer for this in front of Ant-Man and dang! I never read the books, but with what looks to be a semi-serious Jack Black role and seemingly a ton of love for the books, it's something that I'd like to try when it's released.

(edited)

I too started reading Goosebumps back when it first started back in 5th grade....geez that was 1992...i'm old.  I would read Goosebumps and Fear Street concurrently, but eventually just stopped.  I remember the tv show, and was very underwhelmed, but then again it was aimed for kids during the weekdays.  

I was, heck I still am, surprised that nobody has thought of turning the Fear Street book series into movies or a tv anthology series.  The cheerleader saga, to me, was always begging for a movie trilogy adaptation.  Come on ABC Family, if you can make Pretty Little Liars you could do Fear Street.

Edited by CMH1981
  • Love 1