Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Axis Mundi

Having studied and practiced visual arts my whole life, I'm very comfortable with an audience being allowed its own interpretation of a work.

And I'm grateful to the show for having spawned such thought provoking interpretations and speculations as, for example in this thread, but also elsewhere in the media, both formal press and self-published blogs and tweets.

And what better subject to speculate on than the one for which we can never have proven answers, but death itself?

But I am currently suffering a great loss myself, so I can understand why some might not be comfortable with the lack of answers in a show since we generally watch TV as an escape from the stresses of modern life.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

For some weird reason, I was in the small minority that loved the first season--I loved the sense of dread, the weirdness, and many of the characters.

I'm in that minority too- perhaps because I've lived with melancholia for most the past decade or so and something about the first season spoke to that in me. I also binge watched the entire season in one night and I'm pretty sure that binge watching it was a very different experience than watching it week by week (as I'm doing now with season two).

I also wasn't a huge fan of the S2 episode one intro with Paleolithic girl, but I really liked the rest of the episode.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 6

Do we think the fire chief is hellbent on stamping out suggestions of the supernatural out of fear that these suggestions are a "jinx"? I.e., "we all know something weird is happening here which has spared all our lives, but if we say it out loud, our protection vanishes"? 

So far the mystery that intrigues me most of all (and I'm loving everything about the show) is the paradox that the fire chief seems like a really bad guy, and yet his very nice family loves and respects him. And I don't get a feeling that they're in the dark about him. I get a feeling that they know him thoroughly for who he is, and still envelop him with their love. I want to know more about that.

I'm in that minority too- perhaps because I've lived with melancholia for most the past decade or so and something about the first season spoke to that in me.

Add me to your list. I remember writing about Season One that it was really about 9/11. As a nation/culture/society we still haven't processed it, and probably never will until everyone who was alive and sentient on that day is dead.

• Love 3
On October 5, 2015 at 1:41 PM, pagooey said:

The Mark Linn-Baker joke was the hardest I'd laughed at anything all day; mad props to him for agreeing to it.

LOVED that, especially since they'd mentioned in S1 during all the famous "poofs" something like "and the entire cast of 'Perfect Strangers'!

• Love 1