Type keyword(s) to search

S21: Louis Van Amstel

• Start Topic

I'm not too surprised. I remember reading when Kym came back that there were a few other pros with options on their expiring contracts that Rob Wade planned to call back. with the rumors that Louis would be on last season, I assumed he'd be one of them.

I think Louis is a very great dancer and he's a top teacher for other pro dancers, he's made some super group numbers for DWTS and I would rather have him than Moore do those routines. I know he's also got a super impressive competitive history and an all-around stunning career. But I think this week kinda showed why he's never been a big breakthrough on DWTS despite his credentials. That was too much for Tamar and she couldn't execute it well. And this is not the first time he's done something like that when he had a good dancer. You had it a bit with Paula and Mark as well tbh. Was this the first time she knew all her steps? It's Paula, it was never going to be a good jive. Mark just focused on getting her from A to B, getting her somewhat engaged in the performance and giving her a wacky, memorable set-up. She had all the content she could handle, nothing more. I think there's a fine line between giving celebs challenging material so they can strive to improve and overwhelming them with material that's way beyond them, and I'm not sure Louis always makes the right decision there.

• Love 2

He did it to Kendra too. She had skill and the body for it, but I think Louis got excited that season thinking they were the frontrunners and knowing Derek was absent that season. Then came their dances and he gave her stuff way past her comfort level.

This is why Derek (and even Mark) do well almost every season. They tailor make their routines for making their partners look as best as possible.

Sadly, he did that with Priscilla Presley, too.  I remember the Rumba that he gave her.  It was full of content, all right, but Len raked him over the coals for giving her a routine that was far above her skill level.

He's always been one of my favorite pros, and I'd request him in a heartbeat if I were on the show and same-sex partnering were allowed, but I'd constantly have to remind him that I'm NOT a trained dancer, much less a dancer at his level, and that he needs to remember the fine line between challenging a student and overwhelming him or her.

• Love 1