Type keyword(s) to search

Sophia Petrillo: That Young Peasant Girl Was Her

• Start Topic

I consider Estelle Getty the weak link among the cast, but Sophia's unfiltered brain was an integral part of the show. 

I loved her "Picture it: Sicily, 1913" stories, most of her insults, and her relationship with Dorothy.  I like that while she was not a particularly affectionate person, it was clear she loved Dorothy. And I like that she came right out and told Dorothy she was her favorite (this was when Sophia thought she was having a heart attack).  Parents having favorites is a tricky area, but Dorothy had always been the most involved with Sophia into adulthood and by the point of the series was taking care of her.

Agreed. 

There was one line which always bothered me, when Dorothy tells Sophia that Sophia is her best friend and she is Sophia's. Sophia responds with something similar to, "Best friend? You're not even my favorite daughter." I remember the first few times I'd heard her say it, it struck me. I mean, what an awful thing to say to your kid. But, as you said, Bastet, there was an earlier episode in which Sophia tells Dorothy she is/was her favorite, and I'm more inclined to believe that that was how she really felt. 

I consider Estelle Getty the weak link among the cast, but Sophia's unfiltered brain was an integral part of the show. 

I loved her "Picture it: Sicily, 1913" stories, most of her insults, and her relationship with Dorothy.  I like that while she was not a particularly affectionate person, it was clear she loved Dorothy. And I like that she came right out and told Dorothy she was her favorite (this was when Sophia thought she was having a heart attack).  Parents having favorites is a tricky area, but Dorothy had always been the most involved with Sophia into adulthood and by the point of the series was taking care of her.

I know every viewer is going to have their faves, but I always kind of thought Rue McClanahan was the weak link.  I know Rue won an Emmy one year, but really the comedy acting Emmys are often pure popularity contests (ALL of the Golden Girls actresses won the Emmy at one time or another).

I always felt Sophia was a tough role to play.  I mean unlike the other roles it was total fakery (her actually being YOUNGER than Bea Arthur and playing her mother).

I try to think Sophia gets uncomfortable when things get too sentimental (like when they went to Disney World) but comments like "You've always been jealous of my good daughter" kinda kill that theory.

Gloria said Dorothy was the favorite which makes me wonder what kind of things Sophia said to Gloria!

I always thought it was a bummer that after the disastrous "Golden Palace", Sophia got sent BACK to Shady Pines [as if Dorothy or even Gloria didn't have the means to have her live somewhere she liked ] just so she could keep wisecracking on the last gasps of "Empty Nest".  Then again, I just prefer to pretend the last episode onwards never happened and Sophia and the Girls just kept living together.