Type keyword(s) to search

Straight Outta Compton (2015)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

My verdict: loved it. Straight Outta Compton  turned out better than I expected. It's not a "perfect" film, but the good far exceeds the bad. I didn't like that the film trivialized or ignored the rampant misogyny in hip-hop in general and the incidents involving Dr. Dre in particular tbh, but no one hip-hop film should be expected to solve all its problems. That would be like expecting, say, Walk The Line to address country music's tendency towards substance abuse. On the previously mentioned extras controversy, I saw freaks of all colors.  The L.A. riot scenes were subdued compared to the real thing, but since it was just a small part of NWA's history, despite their problems with law enforcement, which existed long before the riots happened, I'll let it slide, plus it had one of the film's most powerful scenes-a Blood & a Crip tieing their bandanas together, uniting against a common enemy-the cops. Before the Rodney King beating by cops, many people didn't know why NWA made "Fuck the Police," but after that, the verdict and the riots that followed, they understood. NWA simply told their truth, like all great artists are supposed to do.

The performances were on-point. Corey Hawkins was great as Dr. Dre, especially the scene when Dre heard about his brother's murder. Hawkins even got Dre's cutting and scratching right-but being taught by the real Dr. Dre had something to do with it. As DJ Yella and MC Ren, Earl Brown Jr. & Aldis Hodge were solid. But the revelations were Jason Mitchell & O'Shea Jackson Jr. as Eazy-E and Ice Cube, respectively. Mitchell's Eazy-E was so pitch-perfect, if he got an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor next year, I not only wouldn't be surprised, I'd be thrilled. As Cube, Jackson Jr. was flawless. He didn't just imitate his dad, he gave a real, heartfelt performance.  Cube and director F. Gary Gray's putting him through two years of auditions definitely paid off. If the leads, especially Mitchell and Jackson Jr. play their cards right, I think they could have great careers ahead of them.

As for why there's no soundtrack, my theory is that that's because there was some sampling of other songs involved and there were some legal hassles that didn't get resolved in time, if at all. ITA that there should be a sequel, but only if at least some of the same people who made SOC are involved. I don't want it to be the Jan to SOC's Marcia.

Edited by DollEyes
On 8/16/2015 at 10:12 PM, Luciano said:
On 8/16/2015 at 8:34 PM, bluvelvet said:

Didn't know Dre walked away from Ruthless and Death Row, did he really walk away with nothing from Death Row?

He walked away with his life and limbs intact.

Yeah, especially given the rumors as to how Eazy-E contracted AIDS.

I didn't understand NWA, rap songs, the riots, or anything about their issues back then, as  I lived in my own bubble.  I'm glad I finally learned.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DollEyes said:

The Director's Cut of Straight Outta Compton is on HBO On Demand. 

Thanks for the heads up, I've been waiting for this movie.