Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Couples Therapy

When Pete swaps out his chili for Kate’s at the school frontier fundraiser, Diane confronts him and he concocts a story about how he and Kate are going to couples counseling. Meanwhile, Meg relaxes at the Harrison’s house and becomes an object of fascination for Warren and Hillary.

Whenever Meg has prominence in an episode, the show just isn't as good, IMO.  Nothing against the actress.  But the character is another oh-isn't-she-awful-so-isn't-she-funny character, which I usually respond with, "Well,no, she's not funny, she's just awful."  Whereas the show gets its distinction by focusing on this extended family of genuinely funny,occasionally awful, occasionally endearing people. (Yes, even Jackie.) 

• Love 1

It's been mentioned before but it's become more and more obvious how the family dynamic is like something out of Big Love -- the boundaries are almost invisible between each iteration of Pete's marriages. The children belong to all the mothers - as do the houses.

• Love 1

Yeah, I think the Hillary-and-Meg stuff didn't work that well this episode, but I liked the main plot, and Warren was good. ("I need to work on my wink timing....")

This is the first episode I've watched since I saw TravisNelson76 pointing out that Hillary is like a younger version of Amy Santiago from Brooklyn 99, and I completely saw that here. They're the same person.

I like Meg. I think she's different but not over the top different. I wonder how her and Kate became friends? Meg sems a lot younger then Kate.

I hadn't realized their age gap was so big, but Malin Akerman was born in 78 and Natalie Morales in 85.

Finally getting around to watching this week's episode, and I snorted liquid through my nose with Pete and Don's exchange.

"Nice try, sir. Next time, you're going to want to make CONTACT with the ball."

"Oh, am I? Am I, Don? Is that the game plan?"

• Love 1

Hillary is a younger Amy Santiago, and Warren is an older Gene Belcher, all enthusiasm and malapropisms.

Most of me checked out of this episode as soon as I realized it was an escalating-lie plot, but the part of me that stuck around got a kick out of the throwaway lines. "If I could pick any era to live in, it would be... 1996."

• Love 2

"What did zero say to eight?"  "Nice belt!"  so cute.  I love most of the characters and actors but still need to warm to Kate and the teenage daughter. They are not quite doing it for me.  I hope this show stays around. My viewing it on my DVR might not help that though. Does anyone watch tv real time these days?!

Yeah, I think the Hillary-and-Meg stuff didn't work that well this episode, but I liked the main plot, and Warren was good. ("I need to work on my wink timing....")

This is the first episode I've watched since I saw TravisNelson76 pointing out that Hillary is like a younger version of Amy Santiago from Brooklyn 99, and I completely saw that here. They're the same person.

I hadn't realized their age gap was so big, but Malin Akerman was born in 78 and Natalie Morales in 85.

I think we are supposed to buy that Malin Ackerman is much younger than her actual age as Kate instead of plenty old enough to be any of these children's parent. I've noticed this trend on TV lately with sitcoms where they cast parents that are about 10 years older than their real life counterparts would be. See The Middle for a perfect example.