Type keyword(s) to search

Trainwreck (2015)

BoogieBurns
  • Start Topic

(edited)

You're quoting me, why?  I said that cheerleading is sexist.

There are two elements in the movie here, that Amy's character "changes" with respect to:  

- There's "cleaning up your act" and 'growing up' in the sense that you don't do hard drinking and partying anymore.

- Then there's the sense of equalling maturing with getting into a long term, committed, monogamous relationship.

Point 1:   I do hate when people find it distasteful when women party, drink, and have fun.  

Point 2:   I could totally see that the movie didn't have to end with Amy's character having to be in a relationship to show how she turned her life around.  So, so, so many, nearly all romantic comedies starring a woman end up with the woman being Happily Ever After With Some Dude, so yes, it would be way more subversive to do something different here.

In the end, the movie just became very traditional .  There is nothing so wrong with that, but the point of these boards is to analyze the movie.  It started out as SEEMING subversive, in that Amy's character slept around without remorse and saw relationships with the opposite sex as casual, and didn't wait by the phone for a guy to contact her -- instead, when a guy tried to contact her, she assumed he was 'psycho' because in 2016 this is seen as rare.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I do see the comparisons to Knocked Up, but what's worth noting is that Seth Rogen's Ben also needed to grow up so that he could be a father to his child, and unless that's somehow a bad thing as well because he turned his whole life around for the sake of his kid and his girlfriend, then I don't see Amy giving up booze and sleeping around as negative.

My own take...In real life, becoming more responsible is a good thing, but in movies, it's become such a formula (especially an Apatow formula) that it's tiresome.

So finally watched this over the weekend.  It was ok.  At first, I liked the gender reversals on various tropes, the man who has casual sex, the woman who's best friend tells the new guy 'don't break her heart', but it did drag on too long, became very predictable and some of the dialogue a bit cringe-worthy.  I'm not a huge fan of Schumer and her crude comedy, but the movie was decent.

Agree that LaBron James was a great surprise in the show, he played off so well with Bill Hadler.

• Love 1

I liked the movie. Amy was funny but she also surprised me in the serious moments and thought she was very good in them. The thing I like this and other Judd Apatow movies is everyone in the movie was funny and a lot of cool surprise guest appearances. Loved Tilda Swinton especially. Bill Hader really was the perfect love interest. Three things make the cheerleading work for me: she wasn't suddenly incredible and perfect at the choreography, it was after the game was over and she wasn't in front of a crowd of people and she tried to do a dunk after. Also at the end of a lot of romantic comedies, it's usually the guy who does a big romantic gesture involving something the girl is into but the guy was vocal about not liking so I don't see really the problem that it's switched here.  Apatow movies do tend to be long for comedies but usually there are some great bits like the Ezra Miller scene and the intervention with Lebron James Matthew Broderick, Chris Evert, and Marv Albert.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1