Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E05: Episode 5

• Start Topic

I don't understand Audrey's reason for voting the way she did. I realize she's having a meltdown, but she spent all week trying to backdoor Jace. Did she ever explain this?

No, but she didn't really have to; game-wise, I think Audrey's logic is pretty simple. At present the House is pretty much united against her, so it's in Audrey's best interest to try to rattle that united front. Introducing an element of chaos is her best chance to do so. After Audrey's extremely vocal support for the backdoor-Jace plan, few will expect the vote to have been Audrey's. The rest of the HGs can drive themselves bonkers trying to (unsuccessfully) figure out who threw the single dissenting vote, and Audrey's pretty much free to cast shade on anyone she chooses.

• Love 1

Except for Jace who pegged the dissenting vote to be Audrey's as his first guess. *grin*

Yeah, but Jace had inside information - he knew he had told his friends in the House NOT to vote for him, to stabilize their positions. So if his allies weren't voting to support him, who's most likely to throw a vote his way to cause dissension...?

Side note: I wonder how surprised Audrey was, that her vote was the ONLY vote for Jace?

(edited)

Side note: I wonder how surprised Audrey was, that her vote was the ONLY vote for Jace?

Probably not at all. I'm sure she knew exactly which way the wind was blowing on this. It's the reason the "sow dissension" theory for the vote actually makes sense. I suppose this depends on if (on the live feed stuff that didn't make air) she publicly made up with Jace or not. Jace acted like they were copacetic when he talked to Chenbot, but Jace also clearly had an agenda to come off "super-chill".  If the others still assume she was Jace's public enemy #1 (and visa-versa) then voting for him and tossing accusations around makes perfect sense. If not?  Then she did it.. um... just because.  Who the heck knows?

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I think Audrey's manipulations are a trace more subtle than that. Here's one theory which had percolated up through my twisted little brain. Let's say (and I think we can say this safely) Audrey had a good read on the House. Now Jace is going home, no question, but there are three likely outcomes to the vote:

• 13-0: House votes unanimously to evict Jace.
  • 12-1: one of Jace's close friends (either Austin or Liz, most likely Austin) throws Jace a sympathy vote to spare Jace the humiliation of unanimous eviction. Wouldn't be surprising.
  • 11-2: Both Austin and Liz throw sympathy votes to Jace.
Minor variations to the same end, to be sure - but Audrey's in a pickle and needs to deflect attention from herself. Also, James' and Audrey's (mis-?) handling of the Austin/Jace pre-PoV meeting conversation had the desired effect of keeping Jace acquiescent until the moment of blindside, but also had the undesirable side-effect of totally alienating a gentleman bearing a striking resemblance to a pissed-off Klingon. Sure would be handy if Audrey could both deflect attention from herself and onto Austin, now wouldn't it? So let's look at what her throwing an extra vote Jace's way does to those previously mentioned outcomes:

• 13-0 becomes 12-1: everyone assumes either Austin or Liz threw Jace a sympathy vote, but both deny it. Suddenly, both are seen in a shadier sense; nobody would fault them for tossing a vote their buddy's way, so why lie about it?
  • 12-1 becomes 11-2: assumption would be both Austin and Liz threw sympathy votes to Jace, and one of them did - but the same shade as before gets thrown on the one who denies throwing a vote.
  • 11-2 becomes 10-3: this is the fun one, as well as being the most hazardous to Audrey. The rest of the House will be saying sure, A&L both threw votes to Jace - but what's with this third vote? Is it someone - like Audrey, maybe - just looking to stir the pot? Or is there something else going on? Everybody knew Jace was close with A&L, but was there somebody else in Jace's circle - somebody who played along with the rest of the House on the surface, but has potential to turn agent provocateur? Somebody else who might be partnering with Austin and Liz, with vendetta on their mind?
Yeah, it's more than a little on the extreme side - but in the environment of the House, where paranoia is protein, it could grow some legs and walk around a while. Pretty soon everybody is worrying about Austin and Liz, who their silent partner might be, and what they might be up to - and not thinking about little Ms. Audrey at all....
  • Love 1