Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E00: Special: Alone Together

(edited)

Aired Thur. June 18, 2015. Thursday airing was weird to me since I thought this show normally comes on on Sundays. Anyway, the DVR got it, so I thought alrighty then. It is two hours consisting of footage of Nicaragua, as well as previews of. "Naked and Afraid XL" and some preview footage from an expedition (or "insertion" as they say, and I giggle snort) in India. Oddly though (and not mentioned in the DVR description blurb) was that a team began in the Florida everglades which sounded like it's been done, but I can't recall.

Edited by ari333
(edited)

************** crickets ******************

hee I'm talking to myself on this thread

I need to get a life :)

DVR described this as "NEW" eppy, but .. IDK. And apparently the whole title of the eppy was "Alone, Together, Extra." The show began with a team insertion (team - aka "not alone") in the Florida everglades which was not mentioned in the wee-cap from the DVR. Ok then. There was Amber, 31 army instructor, who had a shirt with a logo "not my first...." something... I'm guessing RODEO? The dude is Ryan, former marine for 8 yrs, left marines as a "damaged and lost soul" Now I'm thinking this whole thing sounds familiar as in REPEAT? I recognized his "damaged" comment and ....wait for it..... I recognized her floral-ish bra as she stripped ....bc I have that bra. [/too much information]

I wish TPTB (The Powers That Be) would just admit that they fence off these vulnerable, naked, unarmed (for the most part except for a machete here and there) people and not let the editing imply that there is a croc two feet away about to chomp into them as they wade waist deep in murky water. It makes the whole show seem fake - which the whole show probably isn't fake, but the OTT editing is unbelievable.

And now they're doing random popup factoids on the bottom of the screen as in.... the old MTV thing when MTV played music -- with popup factoids heh.[/old]

Edited by ari333
(edited)

hee I'm talking to myself on this thread

Well, not quite yet.  I DVR'd this, so I'm catching up a day late.

Of all the survival shows where people are just thrown in, I thought Ryan kicked some ass.  Fire, then catfish, snake and finally alligator.  Then he starts making baskets to carry stuff.  I think he could have lasted twice as long.  Surprised he lost any weight. 

I thought it was funny that the show showed up with the description "alone" because I regularly watch this show, and I don't remember seeing this episode. 

I wish they got rid of the factoids.  They contain some of the most useless information.  (supposed to fire my imagination)

Part two was a disappointment.  It was a rerun of the "you won't let me use your knife" "forest fire" episode. 

I wonder if they thought part one was a "bad" episode, because Ryan never lacked for anything.  He made it seem too easy.  To me, it was one of the better episodes.

Edited by nottopbravo
  • Love 1

Ryan kicked ass.  When they picked him up, he had his backpack, a weapon, some sort of headdress and was full of vim and vigor.  I'm surprised he wasn't chomping on an alligator as he hopped on the air boat.  Their shelter was fantastic!

Here's what got me.  They're supposedly out in the Everglades swamp, naked and afraid and all alone and far from civilization.  Then when Amber got sick an SUV just drives right up and plucks her out.  For the rest of the episode, I imagined Ryan just playing "survivor" in somebody's backyard.

I'll give him credit for catching an alligator, but it was a teeny weenie one.  And it was probably drugged.

• Love 1
(edited)

The dvr blurb description misled me because the whole two hours I thought were just reruns. I could be wrong. Idk

Edited by ari333

I think they were reruns because I seem to recall them both. The forest fire & the solo alligator catch I'd seen before & yet I watched, not closely, but watched again because I am a dork.

• Love 1

I think they were reruns because I seem to recall them both. The forest fire & the solo alligator catch I'd seen before & yet I watched, not closely, but watched again because I am a dork.

Yes, both were repeats.  My DVR also picked it up because it was labeled as new.  The first episode was S4E1.  On another "special", Amber said it wasn't the catfish that got her sick, it was apple snails that she said Ryan hadn't cooked all the way through.

• Love 1

I've also seen both episodes, so I'm not sure why it was marked as new. I don't consider it "new" just because they throw in pop-ups.

I quit watching a little while in since I'd previously seen both episodes, so I missed the previews for XL. I wish the descriptions would be a bit more clear, but I don't know if it's the network or DirecTV who's doing shoddy work on writing up show descriptions.

Also, I agree that Ryan kicked ass! He truly did thrive in his environment.

• Love 1