Type keyword(s) to search

Drawing inspiration from iconic Hungarian cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, Tony explores the beauty, culture, history, architecture and food of Budapest. The culinary dishes sampled during his journey include goulash, fisherman's soup, blood sausage, stuffed cabbage and, during a stop at restaurant Pleh Csarda, a golden brown pancake heaped with chicken liver and bone marrow, fried schnitzel and venison stew.
  • Love 1

I made this episode must-see TV for myself because even though I am not an every-episode-watcher of this program, I did used to travel to Budapest for work from time to time. I got to know the city in a small way as a result (I love it there) and was just really excited to see it get the work up on this show.

I have to say that I've actually enjoyed other episodes of this show more, though. It felt a little unfocused at the beginning--introing with the cinematographer, then jumping to the beauty of the city in kind of a fragmented way before diving into some food. Were there even any night shots? It's hard to talk about how beautiful the city is without showing the beautiful illumination of the sites at night.

Of course then it had a very strong focus at the end on the cinematographer. Budapest (well, all of Hungary) has a very tragic 20th century history, and the show did a good job of highlighting all that. I'm not a cinephile, though, so worshipping at the cinematographer's altar for so long didn't move me to the full version extent that it moved Bourdain, although I certainly appreciate that gentleman's bravery in documenting the uprising.

As if not being a cinephile weren't enough to make Bourdain hate me, though, I'm also a vegetarian. One thing that was beyond the scope of the show is that Budapest is actually a very cosmopolitan city with a lot of great restaurants with cuisine from around the world. It's definitely not all meat and marrow flavored with paprika.

• Love 2

Yes, Budapest is cosmopolitan and has restaurants that don't contain meat but I thought it captured the food scene well. I remember when my mom after living four years split between Budapest and Prague was visiting me was so pleased at some random restaurant "fresh greens and salads without meat!"

I was sort of sad.that it was overcast when.they visited, Budapest is bedazzled on a sunny day, I imagine that's why they didn't have night shots because it was too rainy misty to shine.

Though no one can ever take a bad picture at Memento Park rain or shine capitalist or communist!

• Love 2

I don't watch this show much but happened to tune in and was immediately in love with the scenes of this grand old city.  Glad Bourdain showed those old film clips. This country has been through a lot of misery (as have many other countries that survived being behind the Iron Curtain for so long).  I liked getting to know the cinematographer and his friends a little bit, watching them prepare and enjoy a typical Hungarian meal and then seeing his musical friends performing.  I think I enjoyed this particular episode because Bourdain wasn't his usual OTT intense about the food, the people, the life (he can really annoy me when he gets going about a certain food, culture, etc being the best, the finest, on & on).  He seemed more relaxed in Budapest.  

• Love 1

Drawing inspiration from iconic Hungarian cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond, Tony explores the beauty, culture, history, architecture and food of Budapest. The culinary dishes sampled during his journey include goulash, fisherman's soup, blood sausage, stuffed cabbage and, during a stop at restaurant Pleh Csarda, a golden brown pancake heaped with chicken liver and bone marrow, fried schnitzel and venison stew.

Mmmm.....! Just reading this made my mouth water.