Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E15: Smoking Gun (Cleveland, TN)

Damn, I am tired of these cases not getting solved!! That poor woman!

I was texting with a friend who lives there and she said she was scared to watch. I told her to watch out for Bobblehead Nathan. That guy was just downright weird.

I saw several buildings I recognized, and the bald police officer named Harbison looked very familiar. I hope they find Becky. It sounds like the boyfriend did it to get the tape recording and keep his family from finding out.

• Love 2

I feel so sorry for that mother, having to know what happened to her son but having no way, under the law, to pursue it any farther.  And to have everyone still live in the same town and see each other at the Piggly Wiggly.  I know it happens a lot but it's not something normally shown on television.

A side note: I am from a small town near Kingsport, TN, and I have to note how amazingly well the photographers and editors did at showing what TN looks like.  I am not quite sure how to put it... they captured the "geography" and "ambiance" of NW TN, maybe?  They showed how a lot of the roads are terrible switchbacks, right next to four-lane highways, and how so many of the houses are one level and have large, covered porches with chairs and swings.  They showed that we have all these hills and valleys surrounding us, everywhere we look.  I was so homesick!  I can't really describe it, but I give major props to the CJ team.  If they have captured the other towns they have visited as well as they did here then we're getting a good slice of life as well as following the team.

Teenagers have so many dramas in their lives.  My DD is 16 and everything is a drama, all day long.  To add the fear that your life, in a small town where many people would be judgmental and not understanding, would be destroyed by a revelation of alternate sexuality could be overwhelming, and both boys used that threat.  One sad aspect is that, I am guessing from past experience here, no one would have really been surprised by a public revelation that the two boys were having a relationship.  Robert, allegedly, committed a murder that achieved nothing except to bring pain to everyone.

• Love 2

I could have done without the repeated referral to the boys' sexual orientation as a 'lifestyle' that one 'disagrees with'. Whom you love is not equal to how many lava lamps you decorate with.

• Love 3

I feel so sorry for that mother, having to know what happened to her son but having no way, under the law, to pursue it any farther.  And to have everyone still live in the same town and see each other at the Piggly Wiggly.  I know it happens a lot but it's not something normally shown on television.

Teenagers have so many dramas in their lives.  My DD is 16 and everything is a drama, all day long.  To add the fear that your life, in a small town where many people would be judgmental and not understanding, would be destroyed by a revelation of alternate sexuality could be overwhelming, and both boys used that threat.  One sad aspect is that, I am guessing from past experience here, no one would have really been surprised by a public revelation that the two boys were having a relationship.  Robert, allegedly, committed a murder that achieved nothing except to bring pain to everyone.

It brought back a lot of bad memories of what close friends of mine who were gay, went through in the small town we grew up in. I can imagine the shame and fear Robert felt at being exposed (even though people probably knew) and the anger that Stacey felt towards him. Robert probably panicked and killed him out of fear. I was a little suprised he didn't admit to it. Seems like many times that's the kind of murder people feel badly about and regret later.

My heart broke for Stacey's mom as well. He seemed like a good kid and I could easily picture him being awesome somewhere else, like New York.

• Love 1

I could have done without the repeated referral to the boys' sexual orientation as a 'lifestyle' that one 'disagrees with'. Whom you love is not equal to how many lava lamps you decorate with.

That bugged me, too, along with the sensationalistic "homosexual relationship" and "secret lover" language. It's ok to just say "relationship" or "boyfriend", Cold Justice people.

I think, given the location, it had a lot to do with the language. I'm not excusing it, but that's just how some small townspeople view it. And the Cold Justice crew had to make the locals feel at ease by speaking their lingo.

Kelly's from a small town in Texas; though she's certainly had her worldview expanded over the course of her career, it might be quite easy for her to revert to the "lingo" of her upbringing.

I'm not saying I don't get it; it just stuck in my craw. I love this show (and Kelly & Yo), so I feel like it's a family member I need to correct. :)

• Love 1